Got a Zumba question..

Options
So I just looked up a video of a Zumba workout because I honestly had no idea what it was. Looks super fun and I might wanna get into it because I'm really bored of my treadmill.

But I was looking at the list of exercises on MFP and didn't find Zumba listed there. So..would I just put in "general dancing" or what? It wouldn't be as accurate because you'd lose way more calories from Zumba, yeah?

So I'm just wondering if any of you do Zumba, and how many calories you lose from it/how you track it in MFP? Thanks everyone! (:

Replies

• Jday71
    Jday71 Posts: 39
    Options
    I take a zumba class I use high impact aerobics
  • Rehobobound
    Rehobobound Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I take a zumba class I use high impact aerobics

That and I started using a HRM during class.
  • kathiepike
    Options
    I use the dance option and it's pretty close to accurate. Burning alot of calories in Zumba means learning the dance moves and that can sometimes take a couple of sessions to get those down -- depending on the teacher of course.
  • roadtoabettersteph80
    Options
    I have it for the Wii, it tracks my calories burned for me. I created an exercise and named it Zumba and put in my own personal exercise.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I wear my hrm and for an hour my lowest has been 400 and highest 550 caloris burned. I create my own exercise and just name it zumba.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    there is actually a web sight you can go to called calories burned doing Zumba where you put in you stats and it gives you a pretty accurate burn
  • deeray
    deeray Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM, but this site seems to be pretty acurate too.

http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Go to zumbacalories.com, put in the time, your age, weight, and the intensity of your work and it will give you an estimate of the calories burned. Then just add in Zumba to your exercise list.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • zumbachelle
    zumbachelle Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate montior and on average burn about 620 calories. I cerated an excercise for it but did used to use Ballroom dancing cos it was the highest dance one...(I have at most and when i was a bit heavier burned 951 calories)

Also, zumba is the absolute best fun ever! All of the weight I have lost has been through good eating and zumba, no other exercise came into it until about 2 months ago. It is a mega sweatfest if you do it properly and fun at the same time. I love it!!!!
  • corbyxo
    Options
    This should help!

http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/

It does all the math for you, all you need to know is how many minutes you did it :) Give Zumba a try, i adore it! I even did it when i broke my foot and was in a cast and walking boot LOL. It's fun and amazing exercise -- you will get hooked!
  • Ladyzumba
    Ladyzumba Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I teach Zumba and yes it's lots of fun! Your intensity level will detrrmine the amout of calories
    you will burn. You will need to "add" Zumba and if you don't own a HRM you can get an estimated
    burn at zumbacaloriesburned.com.
  • twonders
    Options
    I'm actually an instructor. I use to wear my heart rate monitor before I started teaching and I would burn 550-650 depending on the teacher and where I took my intensity level. The thing that is great about Zumba is that it is fun and it makes an hour of cardio go by super fast. There is a learning curve ( a few classes) but once you pick up on the basic moves your set. Warning all teacher on not created equal. If you try a class and didn't like it try another instructor. I also just add Zumba as an excercise and I put 550 calories even though I'm sure I burn more teaching but I believe that is the least amount I burn so it just makes it simple. Good luck and hope this helped.
  • xoTalim
    xoTalim Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! :)

Where would I get a heart rate monitor and how much do they cost?
  • Holytemple78
    Options
    :happy: I added to MFP in the area where new exercises can be added. True Zumba is a mix of latin dance moves! I started a couple of years a go and love it. It took a few classes to learn the basic moves but I finally got it! Be sure to watch and do steps correctly as with any type exercise you can obtain an injury if done incorrectly. All instructors have their own style but most of us find the one with the style we like and go for it! My daughter is an instructor and owee she finally gets the chance to whip me! I have 3 others whose class I attend regulary as well. I have the Exhilirate set as well as the Transformation -- I like Exhilirate bettter it seems more intense to me. I wear a HRM to keep up with my burn and heart rate - I burn anywhere from 500-900 calories in an hour pending how hard I am working as well as the intensity and resistence of the moves. I attend 2-3 classes a week and then do other exercise the remaining 1-2 days per week. Get ready to have some fun and then not only Zumba DVD, live classes, but watch for participating in Zumbathons (1.5 - 2 hour zumba live parties) as these are to help very worthy charities! I will be jamming, sweating, and hollering with more Zumba junkies on Saturday morning!
  • Holytemple78
    Options
    You can get HRMs from Walmart, Targer, Amazon, or any sports store. I purchased a cheaper ones at first but it did not work or count what I wanted. I chose to invest in a Polar and it has been well worth it. Some do not use a chest band but the one I use does as I am able to also to connect with machines when I am at the gym. Most do this, so resarch and find the one for you. Be sure it counts calories and heart rate.
  • xoTalim
    xoTalim Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Alright. c: Thanks for your replies, everyone!
  • NickiLee52
    Options
    Happy to see this asked and replied to. The small town I live in just announced that Zumba classes will start tomorrow at 9:00 and be held on Mon and Friday mornings. I took a couple classes a while back and loved it so am really looking forward to starting up.
  • ezrida
    ezrida Posts: 36
    Options
    I also fell in love with zumba and had some hard time finding a good class for my needs. I have found that there is a DVD set so I can zumba at home at my own time. it doesn't have the social effect but it is a great workout. You can read a review of it in: http://www.zumbaexhilaratereviews.com/