Character

Options
Does anyone else have character goals? I've been doing a lot of thinking lately and decided to make a list a few days ago about the type of woman I apire to be. A few of these characteristics I already posess, some I have on occasion, and the rest I really need to work on. I'll post my list at the bottom (b/c it's quite long) but I was wondering what characteristics you want to posess but don't yet?

Gentle, Valid role model, Full of compliments and praise, Faithful , Anchored wife that only does good to her husband-his right hand, Full of grace, Humble , Wise, Servant's heart, Able to process situations and control my tongue, Forgiving, Composed, Spirit filled, Mindful of manners/tactful, Approachable if one needs advice/talk, Poised, Loving, Inspiring, Purpose Driven, Speaks with words of healing

Replies

• MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Your post made me think of this quote:

The thought manifests as the word; the word manifests as the deed; the deed develops into habit; and habit hardens into character. So watch the thought and its ways with care, and let it spring from love born out of concern for all beings.

Buddha

Good luck, I wish you all the best with this.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    Gentle, Valid role model, Full of compliments and praise, Anchored wife that only does good to her husband-his right hand, Full of grace, Humble , Wise, Servant's heart, Able to process situations and control my tongue, Forgiving, Composed, Spirit filled, Mindful of manners/tactful, Approachable if one needs advice/talk, Poised, Loving, Inspiring, Purpose Driven, Speaks with words of healing

I certainly try, but I could always try harder at all of these!
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Happy.

edit: your post screams sexism and patriarchal obedience.
  • AmandasaurasRex
    Options

The thought manifests as the word; the word manifests as the deed; the deed develops into habit; and habit hardens into character. So watch the thought and its ways with care, and let it spring from love born out of concern for all beings.

Buddha

Wow. That's amazing and very inspiring. I'm going to put that on my vision board. Thank you!!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    A few traits that I am trying to improve are:
    Punctual
    Reliable
    Honest
    Organized
    :)
    I think I am getting better with some of them
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    Happy.

I don't think its necessarily sexist. If those are the traits she wants to have then let her work on those. If her husband expects those traits from her and won't stand for anything else then that might be a different story.
  • AmandasaurasRex
    Options
    Happy.

I don't think its necessarily sexist. If those are the traits she wants to have then let her work on those. If her husband expects those traits from her and won't stand for anything else then that might be a different story.
    there was only thing in there about a husband, and by "does good to him" I mean never intentially hurt him or try to manipulate. For him to be able to trust that I'll be there to help him when he needs me i.e. his right hand. This isn't meant to offend. :flowerforyou:
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options

Buddha

Wow. That's amazing and very inspiring. I'm going to put that on my vision board. Thank you!!

My pleasure. I feel I should add that for me, working on my character has involved working hard on developing clearer and firmer boundaries - sometimes, saying no to people makes me a much better person.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have character goals?

Love your list! And yes, I think I've been in somewhat of a midlife crisis the last year - really taking a long hard look at myself. Some of it was to off that mental baggage we carry over from youth, but it also was aligning my mind, body, and spirit to be who I really aspire to be as well.

One of my BIGGEST character flaws is I have always put a lot of creedo in my outward appearance. Not vain or such - I do have a great deal of humility (a good character trait I have) - but definitely an area I need work.

Faith is another. It is hard to be the optimist I am when I lose my faith at times.

Tons more, but I have to go play tennis.

Cheers
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I want to have a gentle, kind spirit but be strong in the face of adversity
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I would like to be a truly non-judgemental person.
    I would also like to be a stronger person.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Happy.

I wouldn't say patriarchal - just very typically female presented. Which DOES have it's roots in patriarchal obedience, but is not necessarily the entire thing.

I agree with another poster - my own character goals require becoming a clearer and firmer person with my own boundaries.
  • AmandasaurasRex
    Options
    I want to have a gentle, kind spirit but be strong in the face of adversity
    I love this one too :smile:
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I personally want to put my mind into play, Ive had to reshape my thinking completely and now I feel its time to conquer myself.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    I personally want to put my mind into play, Ive had to reshape my thinking completely and now I feel its time to conquer myself.

Yup. I can manage people and multi-million dollar projects on tight timelines, but can't seem to manage myself sometimes.
  • AmandasaurasRex
    Options

Love your list! And yes, I think I've been in somewhat of a midlife crisis the last year - really taking a long hard look at myself. Some of it was to off that mental baggage we carry over from youth, but it also was aligning my mind, body, and spirit to be who I really aspire to be as well.

One of my BIGGEST character flaws is I have always put a lot of creedo in my outward appearance. Not vain or such - I do have a great deal of humility (a good character trait I have) - but definitely an area I need work.

Faith is another. It is hard to be the optimist I am when I lose my faith at times.

Cheers
    I understand completely. I went through that in my early 20s. I though I had dealt with issues from my youth, but it came back so fiercely it couldn't be ignored.
  • AmandasaurasRex
    Options
    I would like to be a truly non-judgemental person.
    I would also like to be a stronger person.
    Yes! This too. :smile:
  • Timshel_
    Options

Cheers
    I understand completely. I went through that in my early 20s. I though I had dealt with issues from my youth, but it came back so fiercely it couldn't be ignored.

Kinda freaked me out at over 40!
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I is who I is.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Yes I have a lot but to main a few: be less narcissistic ( or at least appear less narcissistic) and control my anger more efficiently.