I need a little help with pedometer or HRM......

Options
My husband bought me a pedometer for Mother's Day because it counts steps and calculates calories burned (the 2 things that I wanted). My question is: If it doesn't calculate your HR, how can it accuratly tell you how many calories you are burning???

I had my eye of the Polar F6 or Polar FT60. Any input would be greatly appreciated!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    I can't really see how a pedometer would be able to give you an accurate calorie count - it's not measuring heart rate nor taking into account your weight and age. What I would say is that I think they're great for wearing all day every day to show you how much or little you're moving - I was SHOCKED when I first used one. They say you should take 10K steps a day just to stay healthy and I was taking a tiny fraction of that!! They're a great motivator to park further away from the shop, take the stairs, etc.

I just ordered a HRM but I missed the postman when he delivered it so I have to wait! I really wanted a Polar F6 but I couldn't stretch to the price so I got a more basic one for now....
  • uli2477
    uli2477 Posts: 9
    Options
    Well as far as accuracy goes, these devices are not extremely accurate. But the do not have to be. I have an omron pedometer. I assume yours uses similar information. You enter in your stats, age, weight etc. You calibrate to your step length. Then it counts your steps and tracks the time and makes an estimation of calories burned based on this information.

I say they do not have to be super accurate as it is all relative. You can weight your self on a scale that is wrong as long as you always use the same scale as the readings are relative to each other.

As far as HRM I researched a little and found the Timex branded HRMs are thought more highly of than the Polars. I bought 1 from Amazon for like 50 dollars and returned it because I had mistakenly bought a womens size. I exchanged for an Iroman version. They both work quite the same. If you are looking for a non-chest strap version, Polar had a few more options.

I hope that helps.

Keep it up, PS You Look Great!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump to come back to in just a bit:flowerforyou: