Healthy life style and quitting smoking?

Options
Hi fokes,

I'm new to MFP and have been trying to get more active and eat healthier, which is challenging enough. I know that the next step in creating a healthy lifestyle for myself is quitting smoking and I think I'm finally to do it! But to be honest the stories of weight gain after people quit smoking has me a bit scared and hesitant. I find myself replacing my snaking with cigarettes, which means I'm smoking more then usual. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips or success stories that they would be willing to share?

Replies

• RhinestoneRocky
    RhinestoneRocky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am seriously going on day 14 of no smoking and the urge is still there every friggin' day after work, but working out is making it better. I can already feel the difference when I work out.

Every time I feel like I want a cigarette I hop online or clean. I distract my stupid fingers from reaching for more snacks or running to the Plaid Pantry to buy smokes and start making my lungs black.

I've also had an awful time sleeping from not being able to smoke. Thank the flying spaghetti monster for coffee.

Even though I've done okay so far when I had a drink last Friday, the desire to smoke was almost overwhelming. So I decided to paint! Random, right? But it worked!
  • 22danielle
    22danielle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! Distracting yourself by cleaning is a great idea! I guess I'll just have to try my best to keep busy, maybe I'll finally teach myself to knit :P Thanks for the support and I wish you all the best on week three!

PS. Painting is a great!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    The weight gain is inevitable, but not the end of the world. I opted to quit first, then after a year, focus on my weight. Doc told me to either do one or the other...not both at the same time.
  • joslin2005
    Options
    Well, I have successful quit analogs cigs. I currently use the e-cig and am on the lowest level of nicotine. I have been vaping for about 3 years now (on and off, didn't vape when I was pregnant). I had tried quitting analogs many times and the slow wean off the nicotine seems to be working for me. I don't know if the e-cig would even be a consideration for you or if you just prefer to do it cold turkey but I thought I would throw it out there. E-cigs are healthier than analogs but of course the healthiest option is not smoking at all.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    smoking.gif

The Healthier I get the less I want them.
  • hc83
    hc83 Posts: 23
    Options
    addictive food ( The standard American diet) is just as addictive so I understand why you would naturally turn to food. Dr. Joel Fuhrman has an amazing diet and if you change your taste buds you wont be addicted anymore. good luck!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Well, I have successful quit analogs cigs. I currently use the e-cig and am on the lowest level of nicotine. I have been vaping for about 3 years now (on and off, didn't vape when I was pregnant). I had tried quitting analogs many times and the slow wean off the nicotine seems to be working for me. I don't know if the e-cig would even be a consideration for you or if you just prefer to do it cold turkey but I thought I would throw it out there. E-cigs are healthier than analogs but of course the healthiest option is not smoking at all.

+1 to this.

A: it's FAR more cost efficient than regular cigarettes.
    B: most of the liquids contain nothing but water, propylene glycol, and optional nicotine.
    C: science has shown time and again that it's not the nicotine is tobacco that is so harmful. It's just the addictive substance that keeps you around.
    D: tobacco companies have started running a combination of buyouts of E-cig companies (Lorillard, the guys who make Newports bought out Blu), as well as lobbying to have laws enacted against e-cigs stronger than those for normal cigarettes. This one is pretty self-explanatory.

Read this if you want a small glimpse into that last one: http://www.smokersutopia.com/why-the-fda-wants-to-ban-e-cigarettes/
  • SleepingBeauty12345
    Options
    bump
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Hello. I decided on 1/1 to get back to my healthy lifestyle I had a few years ago when I lost almost 40 pounds using MFP. At first I was going to go back to healthy eating and exercise at the same time as quitting smoking. But then I decided that was dangerous to my families health....lol I started 1/1 on the eating and exercise. On 3/1 (my 40th bday) I am quitting smoking. I am also concerned about how to battle food but I am hoping two months of healthy eating habits will help. I also plan on each time I need to battle the urge for a smoke break, I will take a walk around my work building.

Good luck
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    Try snacking on carrot or celery sticks. I managed to quit smoking and lost about 60 at the same time. Stay busy with stuff. I chewed on a straw, worked out every day. Whenever you get the urge do something else for a few minutes and you will forget about it. It will get easier over time and I was a pack a day smoker for over 20 years so if I can do it then so can you. Best of luck to you.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Allan Carr's book " The easy way to quit smoking" is a great place to start. He gives lots of advice on dealing with the urges. I quit right after reading his book. It can be done! Good luck.:smile:
  • Reebee22
    Reebee22 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I have been on and off the wagon in regards to quitting smoking for years about 13 now I think???? The giving up is the easy part the staying quit is the real test, I've been on and off exercising for about the same amount of time and something had to give exercising made me feel good smoking never did! As long as your smart about food choices and portion sizes you will be fine. You can beat weight gain but you can't always beat cancer! Don't worry about the weight worry about your health! 38 days clean for me and never looking back:bigsmile:
  • melindanew
    melindanew Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The weight gain is inevitable, but not the end of the world. I opted to quit first, then after a year, focus on my weight. Doc told me to either do one or the other...not both at the same time.

This is exactly what I did as well. I couldn't have done both at the same time, but that is me. Your experinence might differ, and if you can manage it that's awesome.

For the record, I was morbidly obese and I remained so (until I started my weightloss later that year - it was really more like 9 months) and didn't gain much weight. Which says more about my former eating habits than the weight gain around quitting smoking, I'm pretty sure.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    I quit smoking almost 5 yrs ago. I had smoked for 30 years. I had to readjust alot of things like what do you do in the morning with your coffee if you don't smoke? What about after you eat or do a chore? I realized I had never driven without smoking. I replaced my smoking habits with others. With my morning coffee, I read the local paper online. After meals or after say, changing laundry loads, I had a cup of orange spice tea. In the car I chewed gum. I did keep some pretzels and fresh apples and veggies if I needed a nosh. I really didn't gain any weight, I gained that years ago, lol. Quitting is an awesome choice. Best of Luck!
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I will be smoke free for an entire month come this Saturday.. I have yet to gain weight. I usually stay w/in my calorie limit and I exercise 5 days a week... Maybe thats why i didnt gain? I didn't really snack more when I quit, but i do drink a lot more coffee then I ever did before. Also, my skin is better and my hair is shinier since I quit... It's worth it. Good luck to you.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I quit about two years ago. I had never gained much weight in my life. In fact, up until that time, I could wear pants I had in college. But I gained 20 pounds or thereabout when I stopped smoking. I also got injured at about the same time and stopped exercising. But I really suspect it was mostly the smoking.
    I think you have to plan on gaining some weight when you quit smoking.