crossfit whaaaaaaaaaa????

Options
CorvusCorax77
CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
Ok. So I've taken up a few crossfit exercises on my non lifting days- 20/20/20 and bear complex. I was researching others and felt disappointed that they relied on so many chin ups because I'm not able to do a lot.

I came across this video of the "Fran"... uh... WTF?!?!!

http://youtu.be/fTEJ-Ec9XOE

Replies

• CorvusCorax77
    Options
    also. i'm going to make my own exercise and name it after myself so people say things like this about my name:

"But the crushing charm of these ladies lies in their magnificent capacity to root out weaknesses and humiliate you with them."

yeah!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I was a personal trainer years back. My regiment included mostly Calisthenics and body weight/resistance traning. A lot of these we all did in elementary school. Jump forward and let's call the Turbulence Training, P90X, Crossfit, etc...

I think of the millions my PE teach MR Hutchingson missed out on back then. All he needed was a btich'in marketing team.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Its called a kipping pull up. And it makes me laugh.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    my epic WTfuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhh is about how she's doing her chin ups....

wtf?!?!?!

:huh:
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

what's the point??? to be able to say you did 21 pull ups when you can't even really do one???? Is the goal to eventually do real pull ups?? I'm confused!
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    what's the point??? to be able to say you did 21 pull ups when you can't even really do one????

Unfortunately, too often yes.
    Is the goal to eventually do real pull ups?? I'm confused!
    It SHOULD be.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    i think it's fair to say i got a love hate thing going for crossfit!
  • furenaef
    furenaef Posts: 157 Member
    Options

cross fit can become snap city if you dont have good form on those oly lifts
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

what's the point??? to be able to say you did 21 pull ups when you can't even really do one???? Is the goal to eventually do real pull ups?? I'm confused!

That sums up crossfit. Let's get a bunch of relatively inexperienced trainers to teach people how use REALLY terrible form to do as many reps as possible in a given time.

This goes for the "best of the best" as well. I watch the crossfit championships on TV and it's anything but impressive.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

That sums up crossfit. Let's get a bunch of relatively inexperienced trainers to teach people how use REALLY terrible form to do as many reps as possible in a given time.

This goes for the "best of the best" as well. I watch the crossfit championships on TV and it's anything but impressive.

bhaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!

look at this:

http://youtu.be/N-j3RoNBscY
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

cross fit can become snap city if you dont have good form on those oly lifts

I think i'll do what I'm doing, which is lifting weights....but I do love crossfit stuff on my non lifting days. I really love bear complex (that's what I'm doing in my profile pic). I love 20/20/20. But I do these things with the kind of decent form I've learned from strength training. I don't consider it lifting to do these complexes. I consider it cardio.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

bhaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!

look at this:

http://youtu.be/N-j3RoNBscY

lmao! yes exactly. Olympic lifts are meant to be done in a very deliberate and precise manner by WELL trained athletes. Not like that.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    i feel bad for those girls in that video. Their knees all bending in and stuff.... erm my gawd. my crossfit isn't the purdiest thing to look at, but i promise it wouldn't make ya cringe!
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Whilst I'm not a crossfitter, I think it's harsh for people to judge crossfit in this way.

You get terrible form and bad coaches in all areas, just like the odd bad PT or bros doing terrible form with weights that are too heavy for them doesn't by default make every gym bad, the odd bad crossfit box and poor coaching\programming doesn't mean crossfit is inherently bad.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    Whilst I'm not a crossfitter, I think it's harsh for people to judge crossfit in this way.

You get terrible form and bad coaches in all areas, just like the odd bad PT or bros doing terrible form with weights that are too heavy for them doesn't by default make every gym bad, the odd bad crossfit box and poor coaching\programming doesn't mean crossfit is inherently bad.

Like I said, it's a love hate thing I got. A lot of the crossfit work outs are AMAZEBALLS. But sometimes I gotta cringe about form. Did you see how those girls knees were bending in in the last video I posted? Yeah. I agree not all gyms are bad. That was never my intention. But we have to admit, at least some of them aren't so on it.
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options

Me too!!!
  • msmorgan32
    Options
    Just like anything else out there. There are good coaches and not so good ones. My Crossfit coach is great and very experienced, he stresses form over weight. I used to be a crossfit hater until I gave it a try, it's really a great and addictive workout!
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Most Crossfit coaches push people MUCH too hard, which can result in all kinds of unnecessary injuries. Any reasonable exercise program could have gotten you into shape with much less risk of injury. If you don't get injured doing Crossfit, you are lucky, because LOTS of people have. It is CRAZY what Crossfit expects people to do in those workouts, and trying to keep up with those expectations can cause injuries that can keep you out of the gym for weeks, if not months.

Responsible fitness coaches and personal trainers will tell you that it's much better to build up your strength slowly in a moderate fitness program as opposed to attempting a program as extreme as Crossfit that claims to get you in shape faster than anything else on the market.

No one would EVER convince me to join Crossfit. Even if the Crossifit box in your area has reasonable coaches, why contribute money to an organization that has such an extreme view of workouts that the founder doesn't mind saying that a Crossfit workout could kill you?

Especially when there are so many gyms and workout programs to select from that do not have such an extreme viewpoint.

Getting Fit, Even If It Kills You

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all

Mr. Glassman, CrossFit's founder, does not discount his regimen's risks, even to those who are in shape and take the time to warm up their bodies before a session.

"It can kill you," he said. "I've always been completely honest about that."
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Strongman =/= Olympic Lifts

While we're talking about crossfit...
    Picture-24.jpg
    <3 camille leblanc-bazinet