Low Carb and Low GI people, please reply!!!

Options
Hey everyone! First, please don't attack me and leave *kitten* comments! I am asking this question seriously! I have been eating low carb. Typically 30 or less a day. I have days I eat more but its usually planned. I was cycling and getting more carbs on the weekends. Now......I have thought to myself..........."Self........you keep eating bread now and then.........you keep eating pasta every once in a while.............can you give it up?"

The low glycemic index diet seems to more fit what I can be faithful to! You can still have a little pasta and bread (I LOVE SOURDOUGH which is not too bad)..........but when I look at the suggested carb macros for that diet...........55% carbs...........really?? Im too instilled in low carb to even fathom that! lol

I need some general advice on how to pursue this!!!! I need to be able to eat like I eat and have my macros fit it. I need people who can guide me in setting my macros!!

Thanks!

Replies

• HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    if you are comfy at 30% carbs...once you get there, do the additional 25% in HEALTHY carbs... VEGGIES!! that surely cant hurt
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am lower carb. I don't follow Atkins or anything, it just works for me and the things I like to eat. I stick to ~50 carbs (total, not net) per day, but I allow two "cheater" days where I have 75-100 (again, not net) so I can have my beloved pasta (ONE serving!) or a bit of rice with some Asian food. It's working for me.

Even if I wasn't deliberately low carb, there's no way I could eat nearly that many carbs a day. I have carbs set to 25% and still sometimes have trouble hitting that (even with pasta, fruit, and veg the other day, I still only got to 30%).
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    If you are already eating higher carbs on the weekend, you could start there as your high end. Bumping up to 55% after being very low carb would probably not be pleasant. I'm moderately low and shoot for 50g to 100g. When I'm in that range, I still lose but it's much more flexible than very low carb and allows room for rice, potatoes and the occassional treat.

ETA my carb grams are total as well, not net.
  • heyyoudontgiveup
    heyyoudontgiveup Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Why not stay low carb during the week and do Low GI on the weekends? That way you can still eat healthy but feel like you're "cheating" :)
  • joneslnb
    joneslnb Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would recommend 45% carbs. I did a Figure competition and started at 45% carbs and went down to 30%, that was not healthy and I was crazy in the head. I believe that 45% will get you weight loss and be a healthy level. Eat complex carbs. Bread isn't great. I recommend oatmeal, brown rice, and sweet potato as your starchy carbs. I don't even count vegetables as a carb really. I think of broccoli, asparagus, cabbage, green beans, and celery as 'free food' that you can eat handfuls of.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Maybe 40% slow carb, 30% protein, 30% fat?
    https://www.google.com/search?q=40+30+30+diet