Guys... a little help here...?

Options
My husband is thinking of starting MFP. He would be allowed about 1900 calories a day. He spends a lot of his work day in a car and works 2 jobs. So it is not always easy to pack a lunch/dinner. Anyone else struggle with this? Any tricks/suggestions that you guys have up your sleeves? Menu ideas? Any help is appreciated.

thanks.

Replies

• rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I work a 12 hr shift and pack my lunch. I will load it up with fruit and vegetables. lean meats and high fiber bread. Just figure out the # calories and fill the food until it is met. Once the food is gone game over. no more eating. I usualy try to space out the meals and snacks so that i am eating something every 3hrs or so. Good luck.
  • zoey116
    zoey116 Posts: 75
    Options
    There is a book called "eat this, not that" that is great for people who eat out alot. It shows you the lower (under 500) calorie options at alot of restraunts and fast food places. It has been a HUGE help to me in choosing "the lesser of 2 evils" and it also helps with some grocrie stuff too.:flowerforyou:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    portable foods will probably be his best bet. Fruits, veggies, nuts, hard boiled eggs, high quality protein bars, and maybe some meal replacement shakes. All only take a minute to eat and keep you going.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Does he usually eat out?

I would have him pack a lunch. Bring lots of healthy snacks. Fruits, veggies, peanuts... in pre-portioned baggies. Then maybe have subway for dinner. There are SO many options and he can pre-plan what he is going to get.
  • angelface12004
    Options
    my favorite on the go meal is a wrap, filled with veggies and a bit of cheese and some lean meat, even chicken breast, keps me full for a long time, just put the veggies and meat in a baggie and the mayo or mustard, whatever he prefers to use in a small container so it don't make the wrap soggy. two wraps make me very full, and you can get those 100 cal snack packages of treats, ie pretzels/cheetos/popcorn. Good luck
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    He can pack soups, casseroles, risottos, etc in a thermos.
    Subway is a good option if he avoids the cheese and high-fat dressings.
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    If he spends a lot of time in the car looks like he could use one of those little portable coolers and some ice packs. I have a very small nylon cooler I pack my lunch in. My cold water bottles help keep the food cold. You can make some very healthy sandwiches using multigrain breads or the flat rounds. I use laughing cow cheese and mustard instead of mayonaise. I also like to freeze my yogurt and by the time I get ready to eat it, it's soft enough but still frozen a bit. Makes it good. Cottage cheese and fruit is good too if he will eat stuff like that.
  • peart47
    peart47 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with sandara, a small cooler in the front seat or even a large cooler packed with lots of good stuff would work. There are tons of recipes out there for 'cool' food. Fruits are 'pre-packaged' already and are a great choice.
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    thanks everybody!