Why is fried chicken cheaper than grilled???

Options
The grilled uses less stuff and can be as simple as some salt and pepper.. but can cost 1 dollar or more at some restaurants???

This makes no sense at all... hundreds less in calories yet that many times more expensive... its like how minimalist shoes are more expensive than regular heavy shoes. Its nuts!

Replies

• hc83
    hc83 Posts: 23
    Options
    they use a cheaper quality of meat because you cant taste the actual chicken idk lol
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It drives me crazy too! Sometimes I get it at the deli at the grocery store and it is more expensive there too, makes no sense, same stuff, just cooked differently.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Takes longer to grill chicken than to fry it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    If price was determined by calorie count, we'd all be a lot healthier.
  • MissyMouse2323
    Options
    I've noticed an interesting trend in America's food market... The healthier it is, the more expensive it is!!! Just take a look at 5 different menus at different restaurants and the 'light' or 'diet' menus always cost a few dollars more than the regular... and you know it's probably cheaper to make... I guess they figure if we're desperate enough we'll be willing to pay more!!!
  • Sam3622
    Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If price was determined by calorie count, we'd all be a lot healthier.

Amen!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that they have to grill chicken to order while fried chicken can be made ahead of time
  • athelete4
    Options
    Cheap chicken which is covered up by the taste of fat.....don't eat it. Grilled is usually better quality. Go grilled everytime.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Takes longer to grill chicken than to fry it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    This. Food prices in restaurants are not determined just by cost of ingredients. They have to include all the operations costs involved as well. A fryer is cheaper to run than a flat top grill, plus a fryer cooks faster, meaning more can be produced in the same amount of time, meaning less labor cost involved, less fuel costs involved, hence lower prices.

Generally in a restaurant, the actual cost of the ingredients used is about 20-25% of the actual charged price. The rest is for paying the cost of the employees preparing the food, fuel to cook the food, electricity to keep both the lights on and the refrigerated storage systems running, equipment repair when it breaks down, and a bit of profit thrown in as well. That's why it will always be cheaper to make your own version at home, unless you factor all your utility bills into your cooking as well, as well as the gas you spend driving to the store(s) and back. :laugh: