Starting to lift weights

Options
I have been losing weight and exercising for over 2 years, lost 3 stone and happy with weight, but I want to start lifting to improve shape, strength etc.
I have been doing a Body Pump class at the gym and starting to incorporate these exercises into my normal work out, but i'm not sure what sort of weight I should be starting with. At class i use between 5kgs and 15kgs and I feel like I am working hard but not feeling the DOMS afterwards, should I be aiming for higher weights and if so how high.
I am 5ft 2ins and 9 stone 2lbs if that makes any difference.

Replies

• mhuff29
    mhuff29 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am not a professional, but I would start out with low weight to get your form correct and get the muscle memory for it. Adding weights is a tremendous idea and in my opinion should always be incorporated into everyone's program in some fashion, even if it is just body weight. With proper nutritional intake and proper lifting form you will see results.

I understand it as if you want bulk then you eat a lot of "healthy" calories and lift heavy with low reps. If you want lean and toned then you go lighter weights with I believe maintenance level of calories or just above.

I am sure someone else will be able to give you a better answer.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    The Body Pump is really what you would call one part of strength and conditioning and falls mainly into the latter i.e. conditioning.

Strength is based on percentage of 1RM that is One Rep Max that is the weight and then volume and volume is the number of reps. Different 1RM% and volume can create different results. As a good starting point go and look at the tables for untrained lifters at EXRX.net

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html Strength training is never low weight/high volume it is the opposite. EXRX is a great resource.

Now you can consider the strength training and many on here recommend New Rules Of weightlifting for women and starting strength.
  • Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure what sort of weight I should be starting with. At class i use between 5kgs and 15kgs and I feel like I am working hard but not feeling the DOMS afterwards, should I be aiming for higher weights and if so how high.

Split the difference - start with 10Kg for your weightlifting exercise as a starting point:

Weightlifting aim is to progressively increase the weights (overload) you lift in good form to induce muscular growth for strength\size - (you will only increase muscle size if you fuel the growth with sufficient calories).

So start with your lifting exercise at 10Kg and try to do 3 sets of 5 repetitions

-Did you fail to do the sets and repetitions -Lower the weight a try again.

- Did you manage that good keep the weight the same for next session now do 3 sets of 6 repetitions and so on till you can manage say 3 x 12, Now you increase the weight and begin again.

The above is a basic example of how weigh training programs work. You might want to choose a beginners program e.g Starting Strength or Strong Lifts.

Both these will give a foundation structure to follow, if you download the spreadsheets you can input your weights to get going or start with no weights and build on that.

Hope this helps.