SHIN SPLINTS (DONT EVEN KNOW IF THATS SAID RIGHT)

Options
SO I GOT TIRED OF USING THE ELIPTICAL AND I MOVEDTO THE TREADMILL. THE FIRST COUPLE TIMES WERE GREAT! I FELT I WAS MELTING THE FAT AWAY. THEN MY SHINS STARTED KILLING ME. IT GOES AWAY IN LIKE A DAY OR 2 BUT THEY KEEP COMING BACK. ANY IDEAS OF HOW I CAN GET RID OF THEM? OR WORK ON THEM? OR WHAT I CAN DO WHILE THEY ARE SORE CUZ I FEEL LIKE IM EXPANDING CUZ I CANT WORKOUT....

Replies

• writer190
    writer190 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I actually just got a shin splint in my right leg last week.

First off, make sure you have proper running shoes! That's really important, and it's the easiest solution. If you already have good running shoes, then you have to do more for them.

I've been asking around, and this seems to be the general consensus: Ice them 2-3 times a day for 20 minutes (some people says 20 minutes on, 20 off). Rest for a day or two. You can keep running on them, if you're okay with running through the pain, but don't make your workouts any more intense for a bit. Massage them; that helps a bit. Stretch your calfs. Lift your toes off the floor repeatedly. Eventually, if you ice them enough and take good care of them, they should go away!
  • mrsyatesy
    mrsyatesy Posts: 173
    Options
    A great stretch for these is also to stand on a step on the ball of your feet and drop your heels down, you will really feel the stretch down the shins.
  • writer190
    writer190 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You can keep running on them, if you're okay with running through the pain, but don't make your workouts any more intense for a bit.

I said that in my last post, before I did some research on this site; many people recommend /not/ trying to run through them. I am on track, and many of my teammates said they have run through them before. I personally am going to keep running, but I would say consider cross-training!
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When I had shin splints I found that it was related to my foot plant. I was landing forcefully on my heel and then rolling forward to the ball of my foot for the push off.

I found that by modifying my foot plant so that I was landing more on my mid-foot/fore-foot my shin splints went away in a few days and never came back. An added benefit is that it forces your quads to work harder so you get a better workout.

That's just my experience and you change the way you run at your own risk.

Good luck!
  • hynzie
    hynzie Posts: 2
    Options
    Get a 5 Lb resistance band and wrap it around a table leg or something, then sit down on the floor across from the table leg , and loop the resistance band to the top of your foot. Flex your ankle/foot up towards your knee, it will help develop the small muscle in your leg which causes shin splints. Do about 12 to 15 reps, to 3 or 4 sets a few times a week, and you should notice a difference in a few weeks.
  • hallswan
    hallswan Posts: 90
    Options
    For me - it was proper running trainer - I over pronate - that's when you run and plant your foot - you roll inwards - and you should land evenly and most of the weight should go down the outer edge of your foot

Basically this happened for years and I hated running because of it unless I was sprinting. Then I had an ankle op - and the over pronation was stopping my ankle healing properly and my consultant asked whether I often got shin splints when I ran - he sent me to an orthopaedic person who sorted me all out - but essentially - the right running shoes have made my shin splint go away.

Not sure whether you have a good running shop near you, but they should be able to watch you running on a treadmill, see how your foot operates and recommend the right shoes for you/

If you do the strength training advised already - you should do fine
  • samfenton4
    samfenton4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! I DO HAVE GOOD RUNNING SHOES, BUT I GUESS I WAS LACKING ON THE STRETCHING AND I THINK I AM RUNNING WEIRD. CANT WAIT FOR IT ALL TO GO AWAY WITH ALL YOUR HELP. THANKS AGAIN!