If you can read this, you have succeeded.

Options
It is okay to struggle. It is okay to struggle for a day, a week, a month or even a year, but make progress in your struggle. Sure, I could have lost a lot more weight or reached my goal if I was an awesome, hard working, healthy machine, like some of the people I read about on myfitnesspal, but that is not for everyone. I sometimes become depressed, stressed, or just plain lazy. That is okay. I am human, after all. I have been stalled and eaten a lot lately, but if I have gained anything at all it is merely a 0-2lbs, though my tummy wanted 10lbs. I have times where I struggle and feel tired, but I know how to splurge when I feel I want to and not ruin all of my hard work. I replied to a post about BMI, just now. What was my BMI when I started? It was 31-32. What is my BMI now? It is around 27. I have lost at least 4 or 5 inches on my waist, 5 or 6 in my hips, plus a few everywhere else. I realized that it doesn't matter when I made progress, but it matters that I have not ruined the progress I made.

I have lost 30lbs. It doesn't matter when or how long it took me. I have succeeded. Even when I was off track, I have not forgotten my goal for one day. That is not the mind of a failure. Someone who gives up, forgets everything they want to be and loses their self in all the things they want to overcome. Remember this, the next time you eat a cake, instead of a slice. Remember this, the next time you don't exercise for a day, a week, or a month. When the scale goes up one lb, it would have been ten if you didn't control yourself. You succeeded. Even the small choice of not to eat the fourth slice of pizza (or whole pizza!), when you should have stopped at two, makes a difference. You succeeded even though you went over your limit because you thought about your actions and your decision to stop there made a difference. You will succeed if you want to succeed. You are here because you want to succeed. That is all you need to improve yourself and your lifestyle.

So, the next time you are beating yourself up in your mind or crying over eating the whole gallon of ice cream, stop. Remind yourself that you are doing more than you once were because you actually care about it now, instead of eating the whole gallon like a brainless, sugar addicted zombie. Even a one lb loss in a month is success because it is better than where you were last month, no? Myfitnesspal is about creating a better self, inside and out. Sometimes we need to be reminded that our success isn't in the size of our jeans, but in the strength of our hearts and our minds.

Replies

• CloneSN
    CloneSN Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. :happy: All this is very true! And it's essentially what i tell myself every day that i've gone over or come close to going over goal for the day. Tomorrow will always be the next opportunity to get it right and keep on going!
  • want2behappy31
    want2behappy31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! Everything you posted is so true! Tomorrow is always a new day and no matter what you are doing something about it :-)
  • loveandcrafting
    loveandcrafting Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow. Great words of wisdom, and so true. I needed this! THANK YOU!
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    SO true! I think we all need to realize this! Thanks for posting!:smile:
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Great post......
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Amen to being normal over 4 and a half years of the good the bad and the ugly I have experienced all and I agree with the post completely.
    Have I succeeded I guess so time will tell about ultimate goals
  • Enonoid
    Enonoid Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am indeed succeeding. Thanks for the post!
  • Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This a good message for people who feel like they need to quit because they are not at peak performance. We should all strive for excellence, but we will fall short, but if we get another day or minute to try again, we should try. Thanks for the encouragement. January was tough for me...
  • luvbeingfit
    Options
    Wow!! Well said!
  • RonFaj
    Options
    ".. Remember this, the next time you don't exercise for a day, a week, or a month. When the scale goes up one lb, it would have been ten if you didn't control yourself. You succeeded. Even the small choice of not to eat the fourth slice of pizza (or whole pizza!),.."

Are you talking about me? :wink: I chose to eat the fourth slice... sorry...:embarassed:

Seriously, thanks for this post...
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    It's okay, half the time I eat the whole pizza! LOL. :] You are all very sweet. I just know how bad I feel when I am not exercising for a while or when I am stressed/depressed or just exhausted & feel I need to eat for more energy. There is no reason to beat yourself up for little mistakes that can be fixed later. Just keep your eye on the prize, so to speak, and never stop trying to get where you want to be in the end. I like to think everyone, even the most successful people, fall off track sometimes. It will just make you appreciate the journey and where you end up more when you reach your goals!