tingling toes during workouts

Options
I noticed my toes go numb and feel tingly during some workouts and not others. My shoes dont feel too tight but is this the problem? Could it be something more serious?

Replies

• Rodderick89
    Rodderick89 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I experience this when I'm on the cross trainer after about 20 minutes of working out hard, but only my right foot! Personally I've just been ignoring it, so interested to see if others know anything about it!!
  • blanhe2
    Options
    Same here, I had it on a rower amongst others. Looking forward to the replies.
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I get it on the elliptical starting at about minute 38. One of my online friends from another forum said that she gets it, too, on the elliptical. I think there's just something about the motion that causes it. For me, it's never enough to make me fall over or stop, so I ignore it.
  • DOMTIA1012
    DOMTIA1012 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Ok because I mostly get it on the elliptical too....
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Numbness is usually caused by too much pressure on the nerves. The fix is to ignore it or see a foot and ankle dr and they sometimes measure you for an orthotic device to relieve the pressure. Less frequently the cause is a neuroma. which you need an ultra sound to diagnose.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    to me it sounds like a diabetic type problem, but i have no idea.
  • watergallagher
    watergallagher Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    U caught diabetes at that adult theatre.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    U caught diabetes at that adult theatre.

LOL
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The reason you get it on the elliptical is because you aren't lifting your feet. Try standing anywhere for 20 to 30 minutes without moving your feet and the same thing will happen. Easy fix is to either lift your feet off the pedals occasionally or at 15 minutes take a 15 second break to step off and stamp your feet.

IF you have numbness in your feet after exercise doing other things it can be the way you tie your shoes. There's a large vein that runs down the top of your foot and if you tie your shoe with the knot right on the top as your foot swells it can put pressure on it leading to a numbness. Google ways for runners to tie shoes and you'll get some ideas on ways to decrease that pressure.
  • NavyMommy
    NavyMommy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The reason you get it on the elliptical is because you aren't lifting your feet. Try standing anywhere for 20 to 30 minutes without moving your feet and the same thing will happen. Easy fix is to either lift your feet off the pedals occasionally or at 15 minutes take a 15 second break to step off and stamp your feet.

IF you have numbness in your feet after exercise doing other things it can be the way you tie your shoes. There's a large vein that runs down the top of your foot and if you tie your shoe with the knot right on the top as your foot swells it can put pressure on it leading to a numbness. Google ways for runners to tie shoes and you'll get some ideas on ways to decrease that pressure.

Interesting! I have this same problem during Step class and that's the one class I tie my shoes really tight for because I'm worried about one slipping and me tripping over the step. I'll have to do some research on different ways to tie shoes. Thanks!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yes, try changing how you tie your shoes, or how tightly. That could be the issue.
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    I agree, loosen the shoelaces.
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I get this on the treadmill/elliptical sometimes. When that happens, I go backwards for a few minutes. Seems the change in motion does the trick!
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I have a high instep and had this problem a different lacing helped.

http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/running-shoe-lacing-techniques/
  • Hirgy03
    Hirgy03 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Thank you for starting this thread, I've always gotten this exact same thing on the eliptical (only on that machine, too, so it must be the way that I put pressure on my foot while using it). It used to drive me nuts, I'd loosen my laces, do all sorts of things, but I'd still always have that tingling and numbness.....thought I was going crazy. Doc says I have no medical issues, but then again I never remember to ask him about this in particular.

Great responses, too, folks. Thank you all.
  • Rodderick89
    Rodderick89 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Now that others have replied it does seem kind of obvious that standing with feet in one place for 20-30 minutes would result in tingling toes haha, thanks everyone :) Will also look into tying my shoes differently and see how that works! Cheers :)
  • kdniuk
    kdniuk Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm so glad I looked here. The same thing has been driving me nuts for months. I went and had my running style checked and bought new trainers. Should have just got off the cross trainer for a break. Doh
  • DinaLKeil
    DinaLKeil Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have had this type of problem for a long time. Then when I was in the Army years ago it went to complete numbness and wouldn't go away for a few months. Then I found out that it was plantar fasciitis. In high school I ignored it...continually trying different shoes. Basically nothing I could do about it. Not sure if it's the same thing for everyone. Just thought I would mention the possibility.:flowerforyou:
  • emsicle_o
    emsicle_o Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this could be related, but I was ill one time and kept getting numb / tingling hands. Doctor said it's because I'd lost some vital minerals and suggested I drink Lucozade Sport or some other rehydration drink that contains salts and vitamins and minerals. Tingling did go away. May be because you sweat out your salts and things?

Just a guess and not based on any facts what so ever!
  • grillingirl
    grillingirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This always happens to me on the elliptical after about 20-25 minutes. It's the way your feet are positioned on it and the repetitive motion I think. I've talked to many, many people who have the same thing happen on that machine so I'm not too worried about it!