Neede Calories

Options
Just wondering. I have been doing like the biggest loser and it only allows 900 calories for my weight. Do you all think that is to low? Everything I have read has said not to go below 1200.

Replies

• KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that anything below 1200 puts your body in starvation mode thus your body holding on to everything that you eat. I would say that the 900 is too low. I would suggest eating no less then 1200/day.
  • lmd1982
    lmd1982 Posts: 1
    Options
    I definitely agree with Katie..you need 1200 min.. If you have an event coming up or something it doesnt hurt to drop your calories to 900 etc for one day here and there to shock your body but dont make this a regular occurance. Plus with all that exercise your body needs food!
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I think its too low. The reason why the people on the biggest loser can do it is because they have doctors watching them at all time and evaulating their health. See a nutritionist before you drop to 900 calories.
  • lovmykids
    lovmykids Posts: 51
    Options
    I have been on this diet now for 3 weeks. Whats going to happen when I all the sudden up my calories? Is this goin to cause me a weight gain?
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard, people who up their calories to 1200 (or around there) usually see increased weight loss, 'cause the body doesn't hang on to fat like it does when you don't get enough calories. (Also, like another person said, the Biggest Loser contestants are medically supervised at all times, so their diets aren't really applicable in the real world.)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is to make sure your calories are "nutrition dense"
    that they are healthy
    just adding cookies or crackers or salad dressing or gravy or something does nothing to help your body
    it might be that your 900 calories are all nutritious compared to people whose 1200 calories include Oreo snack packs and M&Ms
  • uli2477
    uli2477 Posts: 9
    Options
    everyone calculation I have tried for my age and weight and goal weight have came up with 1200 as the minimum calorie for me per day.
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I have been on this diet now for 3 weeks. Whats going to happen when I all the sudden up my calories? Is this goin to cause me a weight gain?

Like xarrium said you will probably see more weight loss by going up to 1200. To maintain you are at 2000-2500 to gain it would be more then that. Going up to 1200 from 900 isn't going to make you gain it's going to make you lose. I read in one of the success stories on here about a lady who lost 135 lbs to get to her goal weight and she never went under 1400 cal/day on her rest days and on the days that she exercised she never went under 1600 cal/day.
  • lovmykids
    lovmykids Posts: 51
    Options
    Thank you all!! I have been doing this so wrong and didn't know it. I have been only have 900 cal total and exercising. I didn't realize that when I exercise that I need to up my cal. Tomorrow I am going to do the 1200 cal. Wish me luck! I hope I am doing this right now!! lol