Weights on Meat

Options
Do you weigh your meats before or after cooking?

Replies

• amtrust
    amtrust Posts: 178
    Options
    I've always done after cooking....
  • ydavyd
    ydavyd Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    depends on the food. Ex.pasta, oatmeal, meat: before.......
    and ........ ok.... BEFORE for everything :)
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    Before
  • nina1968
    nina1968 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I always do it after. After you cook your meat, the weight changes. Same thing with pasta measure 1cup after it is cooked
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    When you are looking up foods in the site food database, it will usually say "raw" or "cooked"--I seem to remember it that way.
    To be on the safe side, put a protective sheet of paper or plastic on your scale and weigh the meat before and after. That way, you also can figure out how much juice and fat has left the meat, too.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    Before. Typically the nutritional information is for the food in the form it is in when sold. For example, the nutrition for ground beef is for the raw beef. Once it is cooked some of the liquid leaves and if you go by weight you'll actually be eating more than the nutritional info says.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Before. Typically the nutritional information is for the food in the form it is in when sold. For example, the nutrition for ground beef is for the raw beef. Once it is cooked some of the liquid leaves and if you go by weight you'll actually be eating more than the nutritional info says.

^ Yep.

You generally cook moisture & some fat out of meat. So, a 4oz portion of chicken really weighs about 3oz after you cook it. So if you're weighing out 4oz of COOKED chicken, you're really eating more like a 5-5.5oz portion which isn't a big deal, but if you want your diary to be accurate, you should log it accordingly.
  • Trailgypsy
    Trailgypsy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I've always been confused on this.
  • LaTerri
    LaTerri Posts: 42
    Options
    AFTER, it is the weight of the meat that you consume that will give the accurate protein count.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this post since its contradicting other posts. Most MFP'ers agreed that you weigh your meat after. Now since I normally eat only chicken breast I wasn't too concerned with this rule since a breast is a breast and there was a small margin of error i.e. about 50 calories worth so it was no big deal.

However, I plan on buying some lean ground beef and well, it is like what, 210 cals per 100 g (of course this varies by brand/leanness) and a 450g tube is 4.5 servings is it not?

So with ground meets you weigh before and solid after? That’s quite an interesting rule, lol.

Thanks for your opinion :)