Starvation Mode

Options
I've lost like 80 lbs since I began dieting years ago, but I cannot lose any more weight to save my life. I'm in the gym constantly, at least 90 minutes to two hours a day, and I expend more calories than I take in daily, but I'm not losing weight. Any advice?

Replies

• jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Oh man. Can of worms in 3.... 2.... 1.....

There are many schools of thought on this, and it's a very heated debate. I'm not sure exactly where I stand with it, since there is plenty of 'science' to back up both sides. I think you just have to try different things until you find your own sweet spot. Try increasing your cals by 200-300 and see how you do after a month or two.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Huh, this thread didn't explode like I expected it to!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

Give it time. . .
  • hon3yd0g
    hon3yd0g Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i was having the same problem.but i mix my exercise up now.i.e. running out side,yoga,weights etc.and this helped me start shifting.
  • seiser3
    seiser3 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

No-GIF1.gif
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go more than a few days of netting only 500 cal or less (diet & exercise) I start to feel really fatigued and yucky.
    If you are expending more energy than you are taking in you must feel horrible. How do you feel?
  • AnjellaRose_GF_SillyYak
    Options
    yep, give yourself a few more daily calories for a few weeks-month, I did and Im finally back to losing.
  • larseb2019
    larseb2019 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maybe try some muscle confusion.. sometimes that will help.. I had to change the time of day I worked out because I think my body got used to the same time everyday and I started to lose it ..
  • robynjo2002
    Options
    My nutritionist said that I was putting my body in starvation mode by not taking in enough calories. She upped my proteins by 2 oz. and I'm trying that. I have been yoyoing 4 0r 5 lbs up and down for about a month. It's driving me crazy :huh:
  • ThunderButt11
    ThunderButt11 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Shocking your system is the best way to kick a plateau. Changing your caloric intake & switch up the type of exercise you are doing (cardio vs strength training, different muscle groups, etc)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    My personal thought is that you are working out too much/often. Give your body time to heal. Time to repair muscles and build muscle. Would get have water weight from I repaired muscles... I read somewhere. Something about the injured muscle not getting the time to heal so it stays slightly inflamed. That's how the body deals with injury. Inflammation retains water.

Not sure. Just someone,s 2 cents from somewhere.

Changing things up is always good when you are doing the same type of thing over and over with no results.
  • msweetalex
    msweetalex Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You may want to change the way you are eating. Its sounds like you are just maintaining your weight so try to change your diet. Eat more foods that speeds up your metabolism. You can go to these two websites for info. http://ecosalon.com/boost-metabolism/ and http://www.fitnesstipsforlife.com/10-foods-to-raise-your-metabolism.html. I hope this helps.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    My personal thought is that you are working out too much/often. Give your body time to heal. Time to repair muscles and build muscle. Would get have water weight from I repaired muscles... I read somewhere. Something about the injured muscle not getting the time to heal so it stays slightly inflamed. That's how the body deals with injury. Inflammation retains water.

Not sure. Just someone,s 2 cents from somewhere.

Changing things up is always good when you are doing the same type of thing over and over with no results.

yes, I'd agree with this. That's why classes like BodyPump change every 12 (or is it 16?) weeks or so; to switch things up a bit. That, and add in a couple of rest days a week.
  • inquisitionist
    Options
    Fist.....You appear in pretty good shape, you might be at your perfect body weight,. You might hold tight to old body imagary which can't be cured /obtained at the gym.
    If you don't feel that's the case then drink more homemade veggie juice, and up your workout to create muscle fatigue within 60 minutes 3- 4 x,s a week.
    Working out more isn't the answer... work out harder and I think you'll find progress.:

That's my selected philosophy from years of gained health information. Good luck