Are all calories equal?

Options
Protein, carbs, fats, I know a gram of fat is more then a gram of carb, but a single calorie? I hear so many different things I can't keep up, for example protein does not turn to fat, then it does.

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    A calorie is simply a unit of energy, so yes all calories are equal. All foods are not equal though and different nutrients will have different effects on your body.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    it depends on how you look at it. if you're eating at a deficit, you're going to lose weight. that doesn't matter whether you're eating pure sugar or zero sugar. the difference is in how you'll feel while eating at that deficit. eating high protein foods will keep you feeling fuller and more satisfied longer than eating high sugar foods. so drinking a 250 calorie protein shake with some milk and peanut butter is going to do more for your sense of fullness than eating a snickers bar.

if you're looking to get healthy, and not just thin, obviously eating things like whole grains, veggies, fruits, and complete proteins are going to make you a healthier person overall than eating simple sugars and saturated fats.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    it depends on how you look at it. if you're eating at a deficit, you're going to lose weight. that doesn't matter whether you're eating pure sugar or zero sugar. the difference is in how you'll feel while eating at that deficit. eating high protein foods will keep you feeling fuller and more satisfied longer than eating high sugar foods. so drinking a 250 calorie protein shake with some milk and peanut butter is going to do more for your sense of fullness than eating a snickers bar.

if you're looking to get healthy, and not just thin, obviously eating things like whole grains, veggies, fruits, and complete proteins are going to make you a healthier person overall than eating simple sugars and saturated fats.
    ^This
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    No, your body metabolizes complex carbs differently than simple carbs...so that is why you will see diet advice to eat whole foods, and whole grains. Your body will work harder to metabolize them, and they are less likely to be stored as fat.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Protein, carbs, fats, I know a gram of fat is more then a gram of carb, but a single calorie? I hear so many different things I can't keep up, for example protein does not turn to fat, then it does.

I might not be 100% on this, but it's my understanding the main difference is the time it takes to get the energy out of each source.
  • eyvindur
    eyvindur Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I advise you to google "Glycemic Index" to see how different carbs affect your body in different ways. Essentially, what you want is to eat slow carbs, moderate, good fat (fish, avocado, olive oil, dairy) and lots of lean protein. This will keep your insulin levels even, which promotes fat loss.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options

I might not be 100% on this, but it's my understanding the main difference is the time it takes to get the energy out of each source.

gram of protein/carbs =4 cals; gram of fat = 7 cals
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    A carb is a carb... sort of. All carbs (and eventually protiens) will increase your blood sugar levels, which will then cause your pancreas to release insulin to store that energy (blood sugar) as body fat. Simple carbs increase your blood sugar faster than complex carbs, which break down faster than protien. The only food item with 0 change in blood sugars, and therefore insulin, is fat.

This, however, as nothing to do with a calorie. A calorie is a unit of engery, like a kilo-watt. It makes no difference to a lamp whether it is plugged in to the top or the bottom outlet, inside or outside wall, or in the corner behind your couch. If there is suffiecent Kw the light will be on. Too little and nothing happens. Too much and you will blow out your light bulb.

Think of all the other rules as a choice between hydro electricity, buring coal, and nuclear energy. Each kind produces energy at different rates, each has it pros, and each creates excess waste (especially when not properly managed).
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options

gram of protein/carbs =4 cals; gram of fat = 7 cals

in the interest of accuracy (not trying to be snarky or know-it-all) i believe that a gram of fat is actually about 9 calories. but correct me if i'm wrong