Vegetarians, a little help please

Options
Hi, I'm just beginning to eliminate meat from my diet. I'm not on some diet trying to lose a bunch of weight by eliminating meat. I'm eliminating meat because I think it's a better choice for me and my health and my running goals. The thing is this: I do not miss meat (not yet anyways.) I do however, find that my meals feel as though they are missing something, and I feel like I'm eating side dishes as whole meals now. I'm making dishes with beans and such to replace the protein and lots of vegetables, and it is filling at the time, but I find myself hungry again an hour later. Is this something that I will get used to? It's only been a week with no meat for me. Any of your wise words would be appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Changed for me the longer I have done it. Haven't really had meat since May here. I do try and get a whole grain for my meals usually so I don't feel hungry soon after. Nooodles are great way to fill up with your veggies as well.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat (except bacon on occasion haha) and I know how you feel about being hungry after! I also am trying to avoid pastas so I bulk up my meals with things like barley, beans, lentils, or quinoa. Lots of protein and keeps me feeling full.
  • lepid
    lepid Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I grew up vegetarian. I agree with atrebor18. Beans, lentils, quinoa are fantastic foods for a main dish. I have found pinterest.com to be an excellent resource on healthy vegetarian foods. I have found some amazing recipes and other ideas there. ( =