Looking for healthy substitues for these foods

Options
2»

Replies

• BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    HMMM - may have to look into Shiratake noodles. Meybe even check out spagetti squash. How do I cook the squash???

I know where I buy it, there's directions on a sticker directly on the squash.
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    HMMM - may have to look into Shiratake noodles. Meybe even check out spagetti squash. How do I cook the squash???

You can do it a couple of ways. There was actually a whole thread about spaghetti squash on this forum yesterday or day before, so totally check it out.

The way I like to cook spaghetti squash is to cut it in half, place it cut side down in a pan with a little water in it, and bake it at 350 for 30 minutes or so. Some people have good luck with microwaving it -- remember to poke holes in it! -- or baking it whole. It's so easy, and so tasty, and so full of good fiber!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Mac and cheese recipe:

Make a roux with skim milk and flour. Add puréed squash and or mashed sweet potato, makes it creamy! Add cheese of course and macaroni:). Delish!!!
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I think you just changed my life. I had never considered shiratake. I have seen them in the store, but never took a second glance at them. Oh man, I know what I am doing this weekend!
    [/quote]

Shiritake is awesome. I don't like it as a substitute in Italian style dishes, but in Alfredo or in Asian dishes, it's great. The smell of the water they pack it in takes some getting used to, but cook it once or twice and you'll be fine. We are fans of using shiritake instead of regular noodles in the Dragon Noodles recipe from Budget Bytes: http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2012/08/spicy-noodles-204-recipe-102-serving.html

We add some broccoli to ours to amp up the veggies a little, but between the egg and the shiritake, there's plenty of protein. If you wanted, you could probably even omit the egg and still have a tasty dish. In fact, we're cooking this one this weekend :)
  • leandravcookson
    Options
    Try to leave out breads, sub in rice crackers, quinoa , buy whole wheat noodles, use coconut oil instead of butter, always measure so you know how much you actually are consuming, it makes you aware and more likely to remember when your working out, what you are working off :)
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned use the Laughing Cow lite cheese. I tried it & never again....Laughing Cow good with crackers/raw vegs. only! Use whole wheat noodles and nutritional yeast (gives a nutty cheese flavor). Stay away from white bread, it's not good for you. Try Brownberry Whole Grains Oat Nut bread......it's so tasty I eat it plain!! :smile: :happy: :love:
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I have never avoided bread (except that it is really not my fave for the most part as a stand alone... OTOH, I have converted from white breads to wheat and actually prefer it.. And when we are talking like 130 cals to 50 cals per slice... Yeah, that is a pretty good exchange... As for the other things --- all things in moderation... If a cup is too much then eat 3/4 cup... Just do it in moderation.
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Here is a good recipe for quinoa mac n' cheese: http://monimeals.com/meals/quinoa-mac-n-cheese/

I also agree with the other comments about Food For Life bread (the Ezekiel bread), but my fav from them is the 7 sprouted grain. It's 80 calories a slice with 4g fiber and 4g protein. Amazing stuff and it's even better when toasted.

http://www.foodforlife.com/product/breads/7-sprouted-grains-bread
  • minsch
    minsch Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I eat baked (microwaved) potatoes a couple times a week....I put a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese on it.....yummy!

I eat Ezekial 4:9 bread when I want bread....I get the low sodium variety

Mac and Cheese.....I eat the real thing....maybe 1 time every 4 months and not much of it.
  • dchannell
    Options
    Where do you find shiritaki noodles? I can't find them in any of my local grocery stores and even at the military commissary all I found were shiritaki noodles in water, called a paste rather than noodles. I looked on line and because I don't want to buy a whole case, the cost them for shipping is more than the cost of the noodles. Any ideas? I'd really like to try them to replace some of the pasta dishes with lower carb alternatives. Thanks!
  • fdlafon
    fdlafon Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    When I am craving mac and cheese I use the following:
    no yolk egge noodles - 2 oz serving
    Ragu cheese sauce - 1/4 c

When the noodles are dry, it doesn't look like much, but it is a perfect portion really.

Nutrition value: Per serving
    Calories: 205
    Fat: 9g
    Carbs: 23.5g
    Fiber: 1.5g
    Protein: 4g

As for potatoes - I mostly eat red potatoes when I do eat them. and I eat them baked

Bread - My favorite bread is Aunt millies Light Potatoe Bread - 35 calories per slice. And tastes delicious!