Water weight

Options
If i'm drinking plenty of water and not completely over doing it on sodium why am i still holding onto so much water weight. I got on the scale last weekend and was down three pounds from my last weigh in and now i'm back up four. I've had no change to my diet or workouts. I stay around 1200-1300 calories a day, unless i'm working out and then i add more calories. I drink a lot of water every day, i'm not sure what is going on.

Replies

• domino38
    domino38 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with the same issue. I have not increased my sodium and my diet is spot on. I noticed this trend this past week. I was a pound less then boom mid week up 3 pounds. This lasted about a day but I am still as of this morning up 1.8 pounds. Are you having hormone related issues? I am a little past mid cycle and have read that women can have mid cycle (ovulation) type bloating and of course if you are close to your time that could be the culprit as well. Women especially will have fluctuations in their weight even in one day. What I have been doing is adding in extra water to help flush it out and trying to give it time...easier said than done. It is extremely frustrating and I so know how you feel.:grumble: The joys of being a woman! Hang in there! I am sure that it will subside in time. :smile:
  • juxtapose
    juxtapose Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm going with domino on this one - I think hormones can affect water weight. wait another week and see what happens.
  • jhstroebel
    jhstroebel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Most people tell you to weigh in once a week or something, but if you can learn to ignore the fluctuations, weigh in more often for a few weeks (for example every morning before you eat or drink anything, and then a few times throughout the day when your in the bathroom). You'll see your weight fluctuates a ton and it might help you not worry about it as much. I dropped 6.2 lbs from weighing in yesterday afternoon to this morning, but i have 100s of weigh-ins under my belt and i knew i was weighing myself at the heaviest and lightest times (hence the 6+ lb swing).

One other thing that might help if you have a wi-fi scale (of it not doing this manually) you can use a site like trendweight to see your trending weight instead of worry about each individual weigh in. You can start worrying when its trending upward instead of just having one data point being high.

Basically, don't worry about it, stay the course and you'll be fine.
  • PINKinquisition1908
    Options
    HORMONES! Wait it out...you may be better in about a week. My scales jumps up and down too. I always have to consider what time of the month it is when this happens. If you can't wait, try green tea...that's known to get the water mooooooving.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    There is no way to completely eliminate water weight fluctuations...everyone retains water to some extent. All you can do is mitigate it by drinking enough water and watching your sodium. Also, make sure you're getting enough potassium...if your sodium is over your potassium, you will retain more water.
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    This annoys me so much. I routinely retain water. I can now tell when it is happening, then I refuse to get on the scale....

I wish I could figure out how to stop water retention. But like other poster's said, at least in my case, it appears that hormones are a major cause of this.
  • suzely0530
    suzely0530 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    There is no way to completely eliminate water weight fluctuations...everyone retains water to some extent. All you can do is mitigate it by drinking enough water and watching your sodium. Also, make sure you're getting enough potassium...if your sodium is over your potassium, you will retain more water.

That is very good to know ! I gained 3 lbs in two days and sure enough my sodium is over my potassium. I will work on increasing my potassium...hopefully that helps.