people coming into work when they are ill

Options

Replies

• sher80bear
    sher80bear Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you have paid sick days where you work, then sure I agree with you. Where I work we don't get paid if we call in sick and not only that but we have to bring in doctor's notes, which in most cases aren't free. And I don't know about anybody else, but I would feel kinda stupid making a doctor's appointment for a cold.

Same where I work. We don't have sick days. If we call in sick (less than 24 hours notice) we have to bring in a doctor note. I think it is stupid to waste the doctor's time and my money because I had a cold and needed to stay home for day. I go to work with a cold and use lots of sanitizer. I also try to avoid everyone else and make sure I cover my mouth when I cough. Once I am feeling better, I wipe down my whole work station (especially the keyboard and the phone) with Clorox wipes so I don't re-infect myself. It sucks working when you are sick but some of us don't have an option.
  • krissielynn87
    krissielynn87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I don't have sick days, nor do I get paid for missing. I need money, I'm here until they send me home.

Here is some sanitizer and Clorox wipes....:wink:

Thanks! :laugh:
    I have sanitizer on my desk, I'm going to invest in clorox wipes soon lol
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I work in a bank, we have paid sick days. I don't get why is woman has come in so ill. I had norovirus a couple of weeks ago. I stayed the hell at home til I felt better. I am considerate like that :)
  • nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I stayed home because I am sick today and i am sure everyone at work appreciated it!
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me glad I do not live in your country.

There is no such thing as 'no sick pay' over here, employers have no choice.

sadly, I am self employed....
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I think most things about the UK should make you feel glad that you don't live in this country.................
  • TraciStivers
    TraciStivers Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Do you have paid sick day? This person may not be able to afford to take off.

Personally, I do not get paid sick days so I work even when I am sick. However, I also sit alone in an office for eight hours a day. Literally, I am the only person in the building. I have employees that come in and out periodically through the day. But if I am sick I usually sent those 3-4 people a text early in the morning and say "I feel like crap, stay away today!" or something like that, because they do not need to come into the ofice to do their work.
  • TraciStivers
    TraciStivers Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me glad I do not live in your country.

There is no such thing as 'no sick pay' over here, employers have no choice.

sadly, I am self employed....

Tell that to the government office I work for! 40 hours a week for the last eight months and I still have no sick pay. I even had surgery the first week of the year and had to miss two days (Yes I came back after two days because I couldn't afford to miss more) and I mentioned it to them then. They were less than sympathetic.
  • abrewer563
    Options
    We get sick time at my job and people do the same thing. This one guy was sick for like 2 weeks and all I heard all day was him hacking up a lung, sneezing, snorting his snot back in his nose and clearing his throat. I ended up taking the afternoon off because it making me sick to my stomach just hearing it.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Anything that does not involve active fever or vomiting ain't all that contagious and a person can work (or kid can go to school) if necessary.
    Take vitamins and use the hand sanitizer.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I just wear a hazmat suit with a built in HEPA air purifier and encased my desk in air lock with an antechamber stocked with lysol, booties, and Purell at work. It really p*ssed off HR. But on the brightside, I've never been sick either.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was a waitress, we didn't get paid for time off, and if we missed 3 days of work in a 365 day period, we were FIRED. And that included sick days, with doctors notes. It didn't matter. 3 days out of the year and you were gone. I went into work sick many times, and it was disgusting.

I worked in food service, I went to every length I possibly could to wash my hands and my face and my arms, etc, every hour with antibacterial soap. I sneezed into tissues, and vampire-sneezed into my arm when I couldn't get my tissues out (in the dining room). I brought a second work-shirt with me to change into because I didn't want to carry the germs around all night and possibly expose others. I wore sterile latex gloves obviously when handling any food directly, but I still felt GROSS and hated every minute of it. I had no choice though, the time it would take to get over the cold would have been all it took to lose my job.

You would think in Food Service where you're coming into close contact with both Customers and their food, they would be more reasonable, but this place was not.

I got out of that place after around 18 months, but man was it icky.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    With many of those things, you are contagious before and/or after you have any symptoms, not just when you are "feeling sick." With some you can be contagious for weeks after your symptoms go away.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    All the more reason to wash your hands. Illness is a fact of life.
  • justkeepswimng
    Options
    I took off of work today because I do get paid time. We are allotted so much paid time for everything and once you've used it all, you don't get any more time off. There is no taking unpaid time off because if you try it, you get fired. Therefore we take our time off sparingly. Like a person mentioned earlier, that person may must have allergies/asthma. I do, and when I get sick, I sneeze and cough and lose my voice for weeks or even months at a time.

Having said that, your coworkers SHOULD definitely cover when they sneeze and cough.

I know some germ-a-phobes at work though who hear a sneeze or a cough and freak out. Then they start spraying everything with lysol, which is incredibly inconsiderate to those of us with allergies. If you are going to de-germ things, definitely use the wipes and not the sprays. We should all be more considerate of one another.

Having said that, if you spend all your time anti-bacterializing and hand sanitizing, you will be more likely to get sick. Our bodies need to be exposed to bad germs on occasion to built immunity to them.

But, yes, you have a right to be offended if your coworker is sneezing and coughing all over everything. Have you tried nicely asking her to cover up or use a tissue?
  • KathrynCatlady
    KathrynCatlady Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have been in similar situations with sick people being thoughtless of myself and others. It consumes my mind (trying to avoid being near them, washing my hands a lot, etc), stresses me out, and make me mad!

You are definitely not alone. People need to be more mindful. If I absolutely must be at work. I cover my coughs and sneezes, I carry Purell for my use after a sneeze or cough, etc, etc.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If you have paid sick days where you work, then sure I agree with you. Where I work we don't get paid if we call in sick and not only that but we have to bring in doctor's notes, which in most cases aren't free. And I don't know about anybody else, but I would feel kinda stupid making a doctor's appointment for a cold.

This is especially bad when you don't have insurance and it's $80 just to get that doctor to write you a note...
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Sick.jpg

I hate using my sick days for when Im actually sick.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Just curious how you all feel about people asking if you got a flu shot. One school mom complained to me that she thought another mom did not get her kids and herself flu shots. That mom complained that a different mom openly asked her if she got her kids flu shots. I kind of wish no one would talk to me about it because they are all talking about each other and none of it involves me but do you think there is a fair amount of social policing about the flu shots? I'm getting a little sick of hearing about it. Do you think people have the right not to be confronted about this since some people seem as concerned about what's in those shots as other people seem about the flu itself?

I'm not asking who's wrong or right about getting the shot, just about whether it's right to ASK someone if they got it. for some reason HIPPAA or something like that comes to mind but since I'm a terrible "on the spot" responder, I'm just left dumb each time someone brings it up?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I'd be really interested to see data about how often germophobes get sick compared to anyone else. I bet it makes little or no difference, other than all the extra stress of being scared of life all the time.