Conceiving

Options
mrstravisjones
mrstravisjones Posts: 104 Member
Mothers and Mothers-to-be out there:

I was just curious to know how many months it took for you to get pregnant once you started trying to conceive. I know that doctors will say to not worry about it until you have tried for a year and have still not become pregnant.

I went off birth control in September. I know it hasn't been that long yet, but I'm still feeling a little anxious about it.

Replies

• Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    How long you were on birth control is also a factor. If you've been on it for years and years, it takes longer to get back to conception condition.

Good luck!! Sending procreating vibes.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    We are up to 9 months now. She's been off BC for years, I've been tested and am extra potent.
  • beernpizza
    beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    With my daughter it took us 2 months after getting off the pill to get pregnant, with the one I have on the way right now, it took us 2 months also. I don't think it happens that fast for most people tho.

ETA: Good luck and don't give up. My cousin and his wife have been trying for 2 years and I got a call from them 3 weeks ago that they are pregnant and due the same time as me.
  • __stacyb
    __stacyb Posts: 306
    Options
    for me it was the first month, but I think that's rare, and we tried every day ;) I know one couple it wasn't until the end of the first year. I definitely think you should't stress yet.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying..
    Every spare moment you have, just keep trying....

I think it too us a few months once my wife stopped taking the pill.
  • TraciStivers
    TraciStivers Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've been married twice. The first time around I was 22 and got pregnant in the blink of an eye. I had a troublesome pregnancy and delivered a still born baby.

The second time was literally like a month or two after the still born baby, and again I got pregnant super fast and without much effort. Another difficult pregnancy but I finally had a healthy child.

Fast forward 5 years and 20 pounds heavier and I remarried. We began trying immediately because we are no spring chickens! Four years of trying and nothing. The OBGYN said everything looked okay on my end and suggested that my husband get tested.

Our opinion is that if it's meant to be, it's meant to be. So we did not pursue the testing.

Meanwhile my husband becomes tired, moody, and unmotivated. The Family Doc tests him and says it's low testosterone. My husband begins taking twice monthly shots.

A few months go by and I see a pic of myself and I'm huge. (Hence the reason I joined MFP), I start losing weight and doing well. Going down almost twenty pounds (Thats not what mfp reflects because I quit updating) and the next thing I know I hit a platuea, then I miss my period, and then three pregnancy tests later I am pregnant!

So who knows what the exact reason was, personally I think it was a combination of my weight and my husband's low testosterone.

I have read many articles that indicate it's more difficult for an overweight woman to conceive. Plus even when I was 120 lbs I had issues, so I think it was a combination of it all.

Bottom line, when you quit trying, quit thinking about it, and quit stressing, you'll end up pregnant!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Are your cycles regular? That's an important indicator on wheather you are ovulating. If so, yes it can take up to a year. I had fertility problems and didn't seek help until after a year, Unfortunatly, my cycles were VERY irregular and I should have gone in sooner.
  • mrstravisjones
    mrstravisjones Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses so far.

I was on the pill for almost 4 years. I don't know if that is considered a long time or not, and therefore needing time for my body to readjust.
    BMI charts will say that I am overweight, but I am currently the healthiest and fittest I've ever been in my life. Those things don't really account for any muscle weight. I am 5' 9.5", 185lbs, size 8 clothing. Over the last 8 months I've lost more than 20lbs and toned my body a lot. I know it is harder for overweight (and underweight) women to conceive, but I feel that my body is in a pretty healthy condition, and the OBGYN does too.
    Periods are pretty regular.
    I guess part of me feels anxious, because I knew it was hard for my parents to conceive. My mother had reproductive issues and had to have surgery as a teenager. And I recently found out that my husband's parents had a lot of trouble getting pregnant too.
    But my brother is a father of 3, so.... who knows.

I'm not outwardly stressing about it yet, but I just thought it would help me to hear how some others struggled or didn't struggle.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    took 2 for my wife and me.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Good luck, as my father in law used to tell me,

Cross your fingers but not your legs.
  • Eeyore255
    Eeyore255 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    2 months! I used the digital ovulation tests, and I don't regret it.
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    2+ years and several fertility treatments that failed later, I dropped almost 50 pounds and got knocked up.
  • AmberB519
    AmberB519 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Have you read TCOYF? If not, you totally should. As for me, took 9+ months for the 1st, 3 months for the 2nd, 3months for the 3rd (lost hat pregnancy) Almost as soon as I was cleared from the miscarriage, I conceived my 3rd son.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    With my first, I stopped taking the pill (i'd been on for about 9 years) when I got back from my honeymoon at the end of August 2008 - got a positive pregnancy test in the September :smile: So, first month trying.

With my 2nd, I stopped the pill again (i'd started taking it again when my son was about 5 months old) when my son turned 1 in June 2009, and I got my positive in the August.

I was 30 the first time, 32 the second time.

Good luck, I hope it happens for you soon.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    One month trying with my first two, nearly 5 years trying for a 3rd, all the testing, procedures, medication and anything you can think of. Never got my third and am no longer trying, I also never got a reason. But the ovulation tests are a really good idea. And you can get them really cheap in bulk online.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I got PG on birth control after being told I would be hard pressed to ever conceive children.

Liars. LIARS!!!!
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    When my ex wife and I were dating, it only took her the first month of not taking birth control and lying to me about not taking it to get pregnant.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I would start with ovulation tests, to determine when/if you're ovulating. You might need a jump start after being on birth control. I wasn't on BC before or between, so my experience is unlikely to help...
  • JulieBGoood
    JulieBGoood Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm still not preg after a year and a half so I'm considered infertile :cry:
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Took 18 months of being off BC with 3 months of active trying to get pregnant the first time, this time we're TTC using IUI, hopefully won't take long :flowerforyou: