Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Weightlifting without racks?

Today was my first official day of trying to lift things heavier than 20 lbs! However, my apartment complex's gym area has no squat rack nor benches with the supporting arm things to hold the barbell so you can shimmy your way under them and into position.

What do??

I was able to deadlift 50 lbs(don't laugh!), and felt I could take a crack at squatting that weight, but couldn't quite flip it over my head to get it on my shoulders. Similar for the bench press idea of sort of pulling the bar towards chest while trying to lay down--didn't work out too well. :(

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    If you can powerclean it up to your chest, just do front squats with it until you can press it over your head to get it to your shoulders.
  • watergallagher
    watergallagher Posts: 232 Member
    Yeah, thats how u do it killer pick the right amount of weight pull it onto ur chest and knock out a set. It stinks i know, but there are worse things. Or u could use heavy dumbbells, but i still say drag that weight on and roll it off :)

4 the bench.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Or use dumbbells/kettlebells to perform the movements. Might take some more time for you to get used to balancing them but you can still get it done.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    If the gym has steps, grab the risers and put the bar on them for floor presses.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    If you can powerclean it up to your chest, just do front squats with it until you can press it over your head to get it to your shoulders.

Yea do front squats, dont try to put it over your head.
  • jimmie65
    Yeah, thats how u do it killer pick the right amount of weight pull it onto ur chest and knock out a set. It stinks i know, but there are worse things. Or u could use heavy dumbbells, but i still say drag that weight on and roll it off :)

4 the bench.

Gotta say this is a really bad, bad idea.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member

I do this doing complexes, you can get it over your head to your back, but the real problem is getting it back from over your neck to the front of your body haha
  • Feel silly that I didn't front squats existed. Here I was trying to bounce the barbell over! XD Will go with dumbbells too for the bench presses until I talk my roommate into going with me.

Thanks guys!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member

4 the bench.

Gotta say this is a really bad, bad idea.

Agreed. You'd be better off doing jumping squats with minimal weights. Just asking to hurt yourself doing the above. Might be time to look for a new gym :)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    I use dumbbells, I don't usually have access to a bench or rack.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Ultimately, get a spotter. For now, use dumbbells since you're doing light enough weights. In some ways, dumbbells are superior anyway, so take advantage of that while you can.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    bump, since sometimes I'm in the same predicament (when the guys are the gym are monopolizing the 2 squat racks to do bicep curls and shoulder shrugs :explode: )

Yeah, there's no way I'm cleaning 185lb to get it over my head and on my back, so I may try the front squats instead. :) Thanks!
  • jimmie65
    bump, since sometimes I'm in the same predicament (when the guys are the gym are monopolizing the 2 squat racks to do bicep curls and shoulder shrugs :explode: )

Yeah, there's no way I'm cleaning 185lb to get it over my head and on my back, so I may try the front squats instead. :) Thanks!

Curls in a squat rack? That makes me glad I work out at home.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I say use dumbbells. even if you can find a decent way to get the weight up, squatting without some sort of safety bar is a bad idea IMO, especially once you are close to maxing out on the lift.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    I'm not sure if this will be a long term solution; as I'd have thought your squats will go up a fair bit faster than your 'power clean'?

If you've got a bit of cash spare, could you see if you could buy some basic 'rack' stands and keep them there, or even convince them to get some?

These will 'only' take 180kg (400lb), but that should do most people for a while and they are £60 delivered ($95).
    Even cheaper second hand.
    002.jpg

I was considering something like that, but I was a bit broke so made my own rack out of some wood I've got lying around.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Hack Squats, Deadlifts, and Floor Presses if you have risers, DB Bench otherwise.

Get good at cleans as well.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    ^^What he said.

You can do deads, and cleans/front squats, and overhead presses without a spotter.
    If you have a workout partner, you can easily do floor presses.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    If your gym has some blocks, doing step ups holding dumbells or lunges while holding dumbells are probably better alternatives to squats than trying to clean and front squat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    Front squats or Zercher squats. For chest, use dumbells.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Front squats or Zercher squats. For chest, use dumbells.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Good call on the Zerchers. That will be much easier to do with heavier weight, as all one needs to be able to do is deadlift it up, then rest it on the legs while hooking the arms. No clean or overhead work required.