ADVICE PLEASE before i give in....helpppppp

hi
so ive recently started exercise again after like 6 months off..... been exercisng for three weeks now. i have a cross trainer at home. so been exercising one hour a day for 6 days a week for the past 3 weeks. as well light weights afterwards.

so heres my problem, ive recently weighed myself and i have put on weight like 2 kg...how i dnt know. cause my diet is good, never under or over. BUT i have to say i feel GREAT, I feel lighter and my clothes are alil looser. but how comes all the scales ive been on say ive put on weight. even the tape measure shows no change in inches around bust etc......losing motivation...someone please advise.

Replies

• Don't give up. Eating healthy is always a good choice.
  • debwagner31
    debwagner31 Posts: 24 Member
    You probably have been putting on muscle, remember muscle weighs more than fat. As long as the inches aren't increasing you should be good.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    ah, this is easy. you're building muscle. Muscle is more dense than fat, so it takes up less space (your clothes are looser) but weighs more (the scale's going up).

In the coming few weeks, you should see the scale creep back down, then lower. If you don't, you may be over training, or not pushing hard enough (you want to get your heart rate up, but also make sure you're taking rest and recovery days). Or your scale may not be working properly (not likely, but I had a broken one once, so it happens).

If you feel better, and your clothes fit better, that needs to be enough reason to keep going. In the end, the scale is just one number, and not an accurate or complete picture of your health. It sounds like you're doing fine.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    So, you feel great, and your clothes are looser, and you want to give up? :huh:

Remember that your weight is not just a measure of how much fat you have - it also measures your bones, muscles, organs, tendons, nerves, blood, lymph etc etc etc. When looking at scale weight, it can fluctuate massively due to constant changes in water weight. Your water weight can increase if you have more sodium than usual, or if you have more carbs than usual, or if your hormones dictate it, or if you start a new exercise programme (or increase intensity).

The fact that your clothes feel looser suggests that you have lost some fat, but that loss is being masked by an increase in water weight. Measurements are good, but they can be hard to do accurately, and if you only measure in three places, you won't tell if you lose fat at a different point in your body.

Weight loss is not linear. You won't see losses every week, and sometimes you'll see gains. If you give up every time that happens, or every time you don't feel motivated, then you aren't likely to reach your goal. That would be sad, wouldn't it?

If you really think you might have gained fat (and the clothes thing is just your imagination) then consider looking at what you're eating. Are you weighing and measuring all your food and logging it all, accurately?
  • JesterMFP
    You probably have been putting on muscle, remember muscle weighs more than fat. As long as the inches aren't increasing you should be good.
    ah, this is easy. you're building muscle. Muscle is more dense than fat, so it takes up less space (your clothes are looser) but weighs more (the scale's going up).
    That's not what's happening. It is possible for people who are new to strength training (probably not "light" weights) to gain muscle while eating at a deficit, she has not gained 2 kg of muscle in 3 weeks.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    I'm going through the same thing the past 2 weeks. It's probably not muscle, as that takes a big effort on changing diet and weights. Your body is probably retaining water, and may have electrolyte imbalances which can cause bloating. Stay the course, drink plenty of water, cut the salty foods, and get the proper amount of sleep. If you feel good and your measurements are improving, weight will catch up soon
  • hani85
    hani85 Posts: 9 Member
    i talked to someone who confused me n told me feeling grt while no change on scales is prob all in my head.....and i started to believe i know the mind can do interesting things....lol
    thnx everyone for the advise....will keep it up and see...although doubt can eva get proper sleep with a toddler who still wakes up like 4 times a night....
    thnx again
  • JesterMFP
    i talked to someone who confused me n told me feeling grt while no change on scales is prob all in my head.....and i started to believe i know the mind can do interesting things....lol
    thnx everyone for the advise....will keep it up and see...although doubt can eva get proper sleep with a toddler who still wakes up like 4 times a night....
    thnx again

How would someone else know better than you whether you feel great or not? :huh:
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    You are burning fat off and adding muscle. This is a good thing. Continue exactly what you are doing and don't worry so much about the scale.

If your clothes are looser and fit better, who cares if you gained a kilo?