Need some advice from Runners

Options
Hi all. I started the couch to 5k program about 8 weeks ago. I have one day left and I love the program. I never thought I would be running. I bought two new pairs of running shoes and wanted to break them in rotating with my old shoes. Well here is the problem: the balls of my feet go numb about halfway through my run no matter what pair of shoes I wear UNLESS I start with my old pair - but they are old and worn out and can't imagine they are good for my feet anymore. Why are my feet going numb?? I wear socks when I run that are made for running. Right now I am just running at home, in place as I dont have a treadmill and I can change shoes in the middle of a work out if needed but when it isnt 10 below 0 outside I would like to get outside and run and obviously can't stop and change shoes. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• Mailboxhead1
    Options
    This may sound like an oversimplified dumb answer, but have you tried loosening the shoelaces? Sometimes my sister would get this problem of her feet going numb with new shoes, and just loosening the laces helped. It's possible that newer shoes that haven't been broken in yet could be your issue.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I was having trouble with my feet falling asleep while running and found that I was tying my shoes too tight. I would tie them before leaving for my run while sitting. Apparently your feet swell when you run so even if you tie them slightly lose it's still possible that your feet are swelling enough to cut off the circulation. Just a thought...
  • LMP18
    LMP18 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This may sound like an oversimplified dumb answer, but have you tried loosening the shoelaces? Sometimes my sister would get this problem of her feet going numb with new shoes, and just loosening the laces helped. It's possible that newer shoes that haven't been broken in yet could be your issue.

Not a dumb answer at all. I will give it a try. They don't appear to be tight BUT I will tie them loser on Sunday and see what happens. Thank you!
  • joannaengel
    Options
    Other suggestion: Go to a specialty running store (road runner, fleet feet, etc.) and have them fit you for shoes. You may be wearing the wrong shoes for a number of things (your conformation, height, weight, milage, etc). Also, generally running shoes should be a half-size larger than your normal shoes as your feet swell when you run and this also fits in with the shoe laces being too tight.
  • roro1925
    roro1925 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and found it to be that the shoe laces were too tight as well. Haven't had that issue since :)
  • LMP18
    LMP18 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Great input and I appreciate it!
  • sss1966
    sss1966 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I was gonna shoe laces too
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    erm... if you have to break in running shoes, you're buying the wrong size/last/width/stability level shoe for your foot/gait - it doesn't fit and never will.

"breaking in shoes" stems from the olden times - when shoes were actually leather and would stretch out and adapt to your foot. As you wore them the leather formed to your foot, making them more and more comfortable.

Modern running shoe materials are either:
    1) Elastic - they will stretch to fit your foot the second your foot is inside them OR
    2) Synthetic and non-elastic - they will never stretch and conform to your foot, no matter how much you wear them. They may break down in time, but not before you've gotten lovely blisters, corns, nerve damage, or stress fractures, and by then it's time for new (properly fitting) shoes anyway.

Typically both will be in a pair of shoes, in different places. But none of that involves "breaking them in". If you're getting a new style of shoes (different pronation or stability support) and have to adapt your gait, you'll need to "break in" your feet to the new running form you've chosen, but switching back and forth will delay the process and increase the liklihood of injury. Alternating shoes (of the same style or support nature) IS great for the shoe for other reasons, mostly odor or dampness related issues.