My confession. I'm fed up.

Options
Hi MFP.
I am extremely embarrassed and feeling ridiculous and pathetic, and I have a confession that I need to get off of my chest.
I have been trying to lose weight since grade 9, and nothing has ever really worked for me. So, last year I started taking PILLS.
Please don't judge me - I'm not trying to be stupid. I just felt hopeless and insecure and didn't know what else to do. I have been taking them since last January, 3 months on, 3 months off (as it says on the box). I take 8 gigantic horse pills per day... 4 after breakfast and 4 after dinner. They taste bad and they're hard to swallow. I feel embarrassed when people ask me what they are for, so I tell them they're vitamins. They're NOT vitamins.
Other than shame, they never really had any side effects. Including weight loss. I work out every day. I eat healthy. But recently I've been feeling weird. I have felt nauseous, dizzy and bloated. Nothing has changed in my lifestyle, except that I have begun my 3 months on the pills again.
I have decided to STOP. This is a big deal for me. I am throwing out the entire box of pills when I get home. I'm tired of feeling hopeless. It's time to feel happy.

:)

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Good for you!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    That's great! That probably took a lot of courage to post that on here, and that's awesome you decided to stop taking them.

I wish you the best of luck!:flowerforyou:
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    No judging! We've all tried different diets, etc. to lose weight in hopes that something will work. Good for you for getting it off your chest and moving on! You can do this. Just believe in yourself.
  • kayladean
    kayladean Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Confession is good for the soul...Good for you!! I too have fell "victim" to weight loss pills in the past :blushing: They are addicting, but SO bad for our health. I started using diet pills about 7 years ago (after my last child was born). I reached my goal - great, right? But NOPE -I gained it all back when I stopped taking them. So, I started my journey (AGAIN) around October 2012. I'm doing this the right way...eating good and exercising. It takes way longer this way (the right way), but I feel better. Good luck with your goals. Feel free to add me as a friend...I could always use the extra motivation :happy:
  • wirthnet
    wirthnet Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good for you for tossing the pills! You realized they were making you ill and a weaker person may have looked past that. Use the tracker on here to track what you are doing and figure out what will work for you without using something your ashamed of.
    Be honest on your tracker with food intake as well as activity. Its not a perfect science but it generally is pretty accuarate with what you need for calories and exercise in order to reach your goals.
  • veggiemodel
    veggiemodel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You have just made one of the best decisions ever! One of my friends took diet pills for one year, she slimmed down but all the weight came back when she stopped the cycle.
    I added you, if you don't mind :)
    xx
  • applekrisp1988
    Options
    Good choice! That's a horrible way at going things. I'm sure you know this by now but you have to WORK at it to improve yourself. Taking the lazy route doesn't work.

Good luck!
  • Bikini_by_30
    Bikini_by_30 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Good for you girl! You got this the healthy way!

:flowerforyou:
  • jules1202
    Options
    Good job! You can do this!!!
  • kelcro40
    kelcro40 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Confession or realization, either way, sounds like you have come to the best conclusion for you. I hope you feel better!
  • dmgelinas
    dmgelinas Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and being in shape, (I learned the hard way) is about lifestyle changes and things that you can do the rest of your life. I've been on every major trend diet, and then I was anorexic for 4 years. After 2 rehab stints and a super classy trip to the hospital I realized that even if I wasnt perfect, but was making changes for the better (that I could stick to forever) then I was already two steps ahead of the rest.
    The odd looks and ten thousand questions that came along with being anorexic (or in your case... Taking pills) didn't help lol it feels good just to not have to deal with that anymore! :P
    I think you took a giant leap in a positive direction. And I'd love to be friends if you'd like some support along the way!
    My doctor told me once, "beauty is as beauty does. You can look perfect on the outside, and be dying on the inside."

Hope you succeed in all you take on!
    -Danielle-
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I can tell you that at age 51 I have been there, done that with all the fads. I can tell you straight from the heart that this program MFP has changed my life. It works, it's the "easiest" plan that I have ever followed and I know why...because I do not feel deprived---ever. Dieting has always been about deprivation, starvation, strenous....it doesn't have to be and MFP has proved that to me. I follow my calories and fats pretty closely. Eat what I crave within reason and work around holidays, meals out, etc.so I can enjoy life and continue to lose. I am changed forever!! I was losing "even" before I started my exercise program which is 90 minutes of water-jogging (2-4) nights per week. I enjoy it more and more as the weeks pass and see no reason why this can't be a permanent life change for me. Wish I had found this years ago.:smile:
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    You are doing the right thing. Those pills are starting to harm you and they need to be gone!
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Hi, it is so great that you decided to stop, over the years I tried different ones and all they did was keep me from sleeping and cost alot of money. You get so much support on this site is is the right way to go changing your life. This ia not a diet it is a lifesyle change.
    Good for you
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!!! I am very proud of you for stopping and especially for making this bold confession on here. We DO NOT judge people on here. We are all human and have all tried different things. I have a daughter a little older than you and we are trying to lose weight together. I love getting new friends and I would love to support, motivate and encourage you along your journey!! You can do this and we are all here for you. Please feel free to check out my profile and add me if you would like.

Hugs
    Bev
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I give you so much credit for this confession! All we can ever try to do is our best and your best just leveled up. High five! You can do this on your own! :smile:
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of you for posting this. You can do this, and we're all here to help you!
  • I_LaRusic
    Options
    Great idea.

Kudos to you and your determination to do it right! You chose the best place to do it, and you can expect nothing but motivation and support!

Cheers!
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making the decision to not only lose weight but be a healthier person for the long term. I am sure many of us, me included, have at some point in our lives, tried some type of pill, potion or lotion. The important thing is you have recognized the dangers and taking steps to a new you. We are here to cheer you on, many blessings in your journey!
  • MrsMeisner
    MrsMeisner Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Good for you! It takes a lot of guts to not only admit that to yourself, but to a whole lot of strangers too! You've taken the big first step, so just keep doing the next right thing and I'm confident you'll reach your goals. Feel free to add me if you're looking for any support!