Is it strange.....???

Options
Am I being weird? I haven't told anyone I know that I have been trying to lose weight. At first it was because I wasn't certain how committed I was and didn't want to look like a failure. Now that I am almost 4 weeks into this and I KNOW I am committed I still don't want to let the cat out of the bag! I have even been deliberately wearing baggy sweaters or hoodies to work so that my weight loss isn't so obvious. I am thinking I will continue to do this for a few weeks at least until I have a significant weight loss and then.....BAMMM!!!! Think it will work? Am I crazy?? I gotta have a little fun with this right? :tongue:

Replies

• hrubyk1804
    Options
    I don't think you're weird...lol. I haven't really told anyone either, but I just don't want to hear all the 'weight loss advice' everyone suddenly becomes an expert in when I'm trying to lose weight....LOL
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Are you doing it for yourself or because you care what others think?
  • stephcampbell77
    Options
    Not strange at all :)
  • auntiejack
    auntiejack Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Nope not strange at all. I seiously commited to this again in the new year and so far have lost 6lb. Not one person has noticed but I feel good and rather smug with myself.
  • PopCorn_Said
    Options
    Not strange at all. I like to hear those random "wow, have you lost weight? You look fantastic!" comments and say "no, not really...".
    It's mean, I know... but it feels great!
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    have a little fun, it is so nice to show off the new you, you will love it!
  • ashleydmassey
    ashleydmassey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I didn't really tell anyone either. Well, not until we had to eat with other people, then I had to explain why I wasn't being rude by not eating this/that and why I it looked like I was eating "nothing" because compared to the large portions of my past, it sure looked like very little. For me, though, I think my resistance was the lack of any support and more negativity in my circle of "family". I have gone from a size 18W and currently in a size 7 jeans. No one has "seemed" to notice. People seem uncomfortable if I even bring up weight loss. It just is what it is. My husband is the only person who is supportive so I just keep it a conversation between the two of us...and my MFP buddies! :smile:
  • kashmyre
    kashmyre Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Not strange at all. I specifically did my weight loss "journey" in the winter time, so most of the people I normally see wouldn't know I was doing it. I kept all pictures of me off of Facebook and didn't really see anyone from November 2011 until March 2012. When I finally started seeing all my friends I had lost about 50lb. The shocked looks made it completely worth it. The big reveal was a tremendous confidence booster. It also cemented my drive to keep going. Good luck!
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    the first time I was doing this- told my "friends" aka my co-workers...

not such a great idea... one of the nicest ladies there goes "have you lost weight?" of course I said yes and she responds "you're so pretty NOW"

I know she didn't mean it bad, but it still hurt.

this time, I haven't told anyone, and I feel so much better for it.
  • Alicia7519
    Options
    No, you are not weird. I have not told too many people that I am trying to lose weight.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You're not weird at all. The only people who know I'm doing this are my parents, my husband, and my sister. Other than that, I'm not really spreading the news.

Good luck!
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    Not strange at all! Great way to keep the Judgey McJudgersons at bay!
  • mlf70
    mlf70 Posts: 16
    Options
    Not strange at all. You keep all of the saboteurs at bay!!! I can't believe how many people tried to get me to eat something after they learned about my new commitment.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    It's totally up to you if you want to tell anyone. I think there are pluses and minus to doing it both ways. If you tell someone it makes you more accountable (but then again you have this site for that) but could it also mean you are trying to lose weight for other people and not yourself?

I will caution you on one thing - do not get discouraged if no one (or at least not as many as you hoped) comment on your big reveal. A lot of people are scared to comment on some elses weight. You need to be ready for your big 'bam' moment to be underwhelming.
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options

I could care less what others think!
  • Ultragirl2374
    Options
    Nope not strange at all. I seiously commited to this again in the new year and so far have lost 6lb. Not one person has noticed but I feel good and rather smug with myself.

Me too. I've lost about 6 or 7 lbs. and I feel rather smug too!
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Not strange to me. I haven't told anyone either. I figure it's nobody's business but my own. I don't have a lot of supportive people around me - at work especially. I lost weight a few years ago and my supervisor knew I'd lost 50lbs yet when someone asked her how much I'd lost, she said 20lbs - because she can't be happy for anyone if they "do better" than she does. this time, I'm keeping it to myself. I didn't take a starting weight so I can't tell anyone how much I've lost anyway. Besides, this time I'm not trying to lose weight specifically, I'm trying to achieve a healthier lifestyle - lower my BP and keep diabetes away. If an extra benefit to that is weight loss, great.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

Ok, I just wasn't sure because you said *didn't want to look like a failure*...so it was a little confusing.
  • Ultragirl2374
    Options

Ok, I just wasn't sure because you said *didn't want to look like a failure*...so it was a little confusing.

Oh no! I am 100% doing ths for me. I just didn't want to announce it to the world before I was sure I was definitely committed.