need to stay off the scale!!

Options
I have only been trying to lose weight for a couple weeks. I find myself on the scale at least once a day if not more. It is so frustrating because it is always bouncing around so much. Throughout the day it will say i weigh 3-5 lbs more or less. Why does it do that.

Replies

• mhk0719
    mhk0719 Posts: 255
    Options
    put the scale away! :wink: i weigh myself once a week (Mondays before I hop in the shower). the scale is just a number. are your clothes fitting different? i have not seen a weight loss (lbs go down) but my clothes are fitting looser. :smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    Hey, drink two cups of water, and you'll weigh a pound more than you did before you drank the water.

Once a week is plenty. Write it down and let it go. Weigh first thing in the morning only.

• Helenal91
    Options
    Don't worry I do the same. The best time to weigh yourself is in the morning, before you eat, after you go to the toilet.

Although I weigh myself everyday, I only do a 'weigh-in' once a week.

I like to see how I ate the previous day effects my weight.

Try not to get too hung up on the scales. Other things are more important.

Good luck in your journey :-)
  • himilayaneyes
    himilayaneyes Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    The scale is not your friend. I weight every day also. However, I have a once a week weigh-in that I consider my official weight on Friday mornings. Buy a tape measure and/or body fat calipers to truly track your progress. I haven't lost much weight, but I've been losing inches.
  • AnnettePennington
    Options
    My clothes do seem to be fitting a little different. I guess i just have to be more patient and it will happen as long as i keep up with watching what i eat and exercising.
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Don't worry I do the same. The best time to weigh yourself is in the morning, before you eat, after you go to the toilet.

Although I weigh myself everyday, I only do a 'weigh-in' once a week.

I like to see how I ate the previous day effects my weight.

Try not to get too hung up on the scales. Other things are more important.

Good luck in your journey :-)

Agreed....
  • yasavi
    yasavi Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi,

remember that two cups of water is a pound and 8 cups a day is four pounds. Do not weigh yourself everyday... the perfect time to weigh yourself is every end of the week in the morning after going to the bathroom and not having had anything to eat yet.

Don't expect to lose 10 pounds in two weeks. Just stick to the plan and be patient!
  • RhinestoneRocky
    RhinestoneRocky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have only been trying to lose weight for a couple weeks. I find myself on the scale at least once a day if not more. It is so frustrating because it is always bouncing around so much. Throughout the day it will say i weigh 3-5 lbs more or less. Why does it do that.

It fluctuates over the course of your day due to food and water consumption/excretions.

You are going to stress yourself out and get the blues if you fixate too much on the scale. Trust me. I've been EXACTLY where you are now. You'll only build up the pressure and burn yourself out or get discouraged.

That being said, I weigh myself daily because I want to keep tabs on how my carbohydrate and sodium consumption effect the scale, not for seeing if I'm losing, just to see if what I'm doing is working or what foods not to eat at night. If I lose, great, if not, no biggie. I'll just keep at it and make sure I eat right. This might be unpopular with most of the folks on here, but I've learned a lot and really, I don't care what other people think. ;)

I also take my measurements. I strongly urge you to buy a measuring tape and track those measurements once a week. Sometimes when the scale doesn't budge, your measurements will.

You're also just starting out! Cut yourself some slack! You might need to fiddle with your caloric intake a bit or increase your activity or water consumption.

Most importantly...DO NOT GIVE UP ON YOUR GOALS, just make them reasonable and remember, the weight didn't pile on overnight, so it isn't going to fall off overnight. Slow and steady wins the race.

:)