Who has lost weight/got in shape using TDEE?

Options

Replies

• Kellyeee2013
    Options
    wow this confused me a lot. apparently I have been doing everything wrong...
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    <
    TDEE minus 15% (started with 20%, but near goal weight now, so dropped to a 15% deficit). Daily goal is 1800 cals. I don't eat back exercise cals because they're figured in - BUT I do log my exercise because I like to see the burn, but I still just eat to goal - UNLESS my net for the day is below my BMR (1400) then I make sure to eat a little more.

Working great for me. :bigsmile: Seemed complicated at first, but I read through this topic several times until I got it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/7965-in-place-of-a-road-map
    Great info there, and I only wish I had found it three years ago.

Since starting the road map I've dropped from about 144lbs to 137lbs, lost a pants size, and am still losing fat and inches even though my scale doesn't move much at this point.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I am using TDEE cut of 1750 calories daily including exercise.

I then log my exercise of 300 calories (because I want to keep track) I do not eat those calories back though do I? Even though my net calories is then only around 1450 calories?

xx

Scroll up and read my last post for a more detailed answer to your question but in short, no. You dont have a "net" when you are using exercise bulked into your TDEE. You have a net when you go by BMR.

I always recommend entering Sedentary for TDEE.
    Again example would be: (These numbers are purely hypothetical to illustrate my point)

Your body burns 1200 calories at rest (BMR)
    Your body burns 600 calories from daily activies (walking to car, showering, vacuuming, typing)

If you were to do TDEE, you would need about 1800 per day to maintain your current weight. So subtracting the normal 500 from that to achieve a 1 pound a week average loss would put you at 1300 calories. Therfore you will aim at 1300 calories per day for non-exercise days....and then aim for 1300 + (exercise calories burned) on exercise days.

If you are claiming something higher then sedentary due to packaging your exercise in there, you would get a higher number then 1800...and not need to eat exercise calories....but that just leads to innaccurate logging.

**PS** If you work a highly active day job, you may be fine doing TDEE at a higher rate then sedentary and STILL eating back calories...I'm just going under the general assumption of the average user who is at a desk job.

So, in other words you still use the "MFP way" of eating exercise calories back but using your TDEE - 500cals. (I'm sorry but I don't see the difference between using what MFP gives you and what you are doing). From what I understand you calculate your TDEE, subtract your % (10,15,20%) = a number of calories that you will eat everyday (with or without exercise). If you want to track your exercise calories for personal records and such it can be done, just don't eat them back (because you already did). I think this works better for people that exercise later in the day and need the strength for the workout or for people that have their workout schedule down to the T.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Options
    <
    TDEE minus 15% (started with 20%, but near goal weight now, so dropped to a 15% deficit). Daily goal is 1800 cals. I don't eat back exercise cals because they're figured in - BUT I do log my exercise because I like to see the burn, but I still just eat to goal - UNLESS my net for the day is below my BMR (1400) then I make sure to eat a little more.

Working great for me. :bigsmile: Seemed complicated at first, but I read through this topic several times until I got it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/7965-in-place-of-a-road-map

Since starting the road map I've dropped from about 144lbs to 137lbs, lost a pants size, and am still losing fat and inches even though my scale doesn't move much at this point.

You know, I never thought about eating some of my exercise calories back if my NET was below BMR, and to tell you the truth I do net below quite a few times. Thank you, maybe I should apply it for a few weeks to see how my body works with it.
  • Marianna05
    Marianna05 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump....if i wasnt confused before...i really am now!
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    IT seems I have done best with using TDEE.
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    <

You know, I never thought about eating some of my exercise calories back if my NET was below BMR, and to tell you the truth I do net below quite a few times. Thank you, maybe I should apply it for a few weeks to see how my body works with it.
    I figure if I'm up and about, moving through my day and exercising on top of all that, my body deserves more than coma calories. :bigsmile:
    bump....if i wasnt confused before...i really am now!
    I was too at first, but then it became so simple. Know your TDEE (based on your activity level, so exercise is included) and your BMR and eat in between those numbers. Go over TDEE, and you'll likely gain. Stay under BMR, body isn't getting enough fuel and you'll likely burnout/stall. Take 20% of your TDEE and subtract that amount for weight/fat loss - that's your daily calorie goal.

MFP's set up is basically the same, only the exercise isn't already figured into your daily goal - that's why they give you more calories when you add exercise - they expect you to eat them back. The problem is too many folks don't understand that, they're already at a deficit, then they exercise & don't eat more, then they're at a HUGE deficit, and the body is under-fueled, cranky, and doesn't want to let go of fat. Another problem is people go for the 2lbs a week setting because they want fast results, which also puts them at too large a deficit, and they end up with the same issues. That's why the 20% off of TDEE works so well - it's a healthy, reasonable, and sustainable deficit.
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    So...with MFP, it calculates what you should eat a day WITHOUT exercise..

TDEE calculates taking daily exercise + living calories into account.
    With TDEE, it expects you to stay consistent with that daily caloric loss based on just functioning (living) and exercise.

So if you ate AT MFP standards without exercise, it is assumed you will lose weight at that caloric goal.

But that caloric goal (MFP) is under the BMR of many people. Is that why people use TDEE?
    Because people supposedly shouldn't be eating UNDER their BMR?

Sorry still trying to tie up a few loose ends in my mind... : )
  • Iron_Duchess
    Options
    So...with MFP, it calculates what you should eat a day WITHOUT exercise..

TDEE calculates taking daily exercise + living calories into account.
    With TDEE, it expects you to stay consistent with that daily caloric loss based on just functioning (living) and exercise.

So if you ate AT MFP standards without exercise, it is assumed you will lose weight at that caloric goal.

But that caloric goal (MFP) is under the BMR of many people. Is that why people use TDEE?
    Because people supposedly shouldn't be eating UNDER their BMR?

Sorry still trying to tie up a few loose ends in my mind... : )

Well,
    MFP: gives you a calorie goal, you add your exercise calories, you eat those additional calories, and that is your net. For example: 1,200 (MFP) + 250cal for exercise (you are supposed to eat them back) = 1,450 cals. net. (your net will fluctuate depending on the amount of exercise)

TDEE: Calculation including your activity level, subtract a % (5 to 20%), you get a number, you exercise but don't eat the calories back (because they are included in your original no.) For example: TDEE (2021) - 20% (404) = 1,617 cals. (you eat this every day as a calorie goal) Then, 1,617(your goal) - 250 (exercise) = 1,367 net.(unless your net goes below your BMR, that is when you eat some of those calories back to level things out)

AS A NOTE: I USED RANDOM NUMBERS FOR THE EXAMPLES!!! PLEASE I'M NOT AN EXPERT OR DOCTOR. JUST TRYING TO HELP. SOOOO, DO YOUR OWN CALCULATIONS BASED ON YOUR "LIFE". Sorry, but I had to do it. :smile:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Also prepare to have your friends post "lol u must be workin hard u only burned 1 cal lol" constantly on your posts.

Good luck!

Also True!
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    wow this confused me a lot. apparently I have been doing everything wrong...

Me too!! Lol
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I will be doing this today. You're awesome :D

I highly recommend you just enter yourself as Sedentary for the TDEE calculations then subtract 500 from that number for your total daily goal and then eat back exercise calories.

This will give you a steady average of 1 pound a week loss while accounting for variables such as times you cannot make it to the gym and such. If you enter Active or Very Active because you go gymming 7 days a week, then you cant for 3 or 4 days or even worse more...your numbers will be wrong. I rather just do it case by case and log/eat my calories per exercise.

Food for thought, I've been doing it for 6 months and down 30 pounds with about 7 to go before I hit my 10% BF goal.

If I set myself as sedentary and took away 500 I'd be eating like 1200 calories a day. Way too low for me.... Also, you don't know an exact number on calories burned in order to eat them back.... this method seems off to me...

I don't recommend what this poster is saying to do.
  • jcrowfoot
    jcrowfoot Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • sharon0425
    Options
    What if your TDEE is lower than your BMR? Do you use your BMR? Example: My TDEE is 2111 - 20% = 1688.80. My BMR is 1759 and due to health issues, I am mostly sedentary at this time.
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    What if your TDEE is lower than your BMR? Do you use your BMR? Example: My TDEE is 2111 - 20% = 1688.80. My BMR is 1759 and due to health issues, I am mostly sedentary at this time.
    Then I would cut a smaller percentage - try 15% which gives you 1794....or round it up to 1800 and see how it goes. Try it for a month or so and make adjustments if needed.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I have lost most of my weight, and been WAY happier with eating my TDEE of about 1800 per day.

I use MFP user heybales's spreadsheet. Look him up and send a message, he will send you the link (I think it is on his profile too) but he is great for helping you set it up. Was awesome and super insightful. Have loved most recent calculations estimating fat loss vs. LBM loss.... I feel amazing!

Good luck :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Also prepare to have your friends post "lol u must be workin hard u only burned 1 cal lol" constantly on your posts.

Good luck!

LOL! True! I started just waiting until the end of the day or the next morning before logging exercise, rather than doing the 1 calorie burn thing. I like to have all my data.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Then I would cut a smaller percentage - try 15% which gives you 1794....or round it up to 1800 and see how it goes. Try it for a month or so and make adjustments if needed.

True! If you are sedentary, then you want a smaller deficit anyway to prevent LBM loss.
  • sharon0425
    Options

Thanks! I will try the 15% and see what happens. I really want to do this right!
  • riverabeth
    riverabeth Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sorry if someone had already answered this. I did my calculations using " lightly active" my TDEE came to 2196, so minus 20%I should be eating 1757 BUT I workout A LOT and my HRM usually shows burns of 500-600....... should I not count it and just stick to the 1757 goal? Thanks to anyone who can set me straight!