too much fat? not enough carbs?

Options
Well, I've been tracking every bite for the last three days and am definitely noticing a trend. While I have no problem staying under my calorie goal, I am consistently way too high on fat and protein and low on carbs. I am Ok about the protein because I am trying to gain muscle and have read that extra protein is good for that, but I don't know about the fat. I hear about its all the refined carbs that make us fat and not fat itself. Will eating too much fat affect my weight loss even if I stay under my calorie limit? Is the breakdown that important? Does eating too much fat affect my health? What about good fats versus bad fats? Does anyone stick to the ratios recommended by MFP? If so, how do you think the high carb diet benefits you?

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I no longer believe in a "high carb diet" that is what has the obesity epidemic going.

There is a book called Eat Fat Burn Fat and it is true. Think about this and I will gather some research for you also...........Saturated fats come from Coconut Oil, Animal products (that are grown), all natural sources. How can that be bad???

In the absence of a lot of carbs, you can eat fat. In the absence of fat, you can eat carbs - but you can't eat lots of fat and carbs at the same time...........

If you are eating plenty of protein and lots of green leafy veggies, then a healthy dose of fat will do a body good.

I am a Paleo eater (Primal Blue Print) - check out Mark's Daily Apple to back up what I am saying. There is plenty of research to support my words.

This is my business model for beginning to coach others in the realm of eating Whole Foods and getting back to Your Roots.
  • ChrisWag
    ChrisWag Posts: 169
    Options
    No such thing as too few carbs really....a few healthy carbs that are found in friuts and veggies are good but all in all you can't be too low in carbs. I live a low carb lifestyle for the most part.
    Too high in fat can cause other issues like cardiac and/or cholesterol issues too so that should be mostly like 2% milk type products, or low fat, but watch as most of those have "additives" that are unhealthy.
    Too much protein, not really sure about that one. I weigh 122 and I try to eat about 100g protein a day to ensure muscle stays but I would say 60% of my calories are fat calories.
    I notice i=f I start to eat too many carbs I start to gain inches even if the scale does not move.....

Hope it helps you sort it all out. The New Atkins books is excellent at explaining why/how fat is ok for you......

Good Luck!!!
    Christie
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Can I view your food log?
  • rachelmonsi
    Options
    WOW! Would like more info. plez :happy:
  • jsheph1
    jsheph1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Just set my diary to public
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    No such thing as too few carbs really....a few healthy carbs that are found in friuts and veggies are good but all in all you can't be too low in carbs. I live a low carb lifestyle for the most part.
    Too high in fat can cause other issues like cardiac and/or cholesterol issues too so that should be mostly like 2% milk type products, or low fat, but watch as most of those have "additives" that are unhealthy.
    Too much protein, not really sure about that one. I weigh 122 and I try to eat about 100g protein a day to ensure muscle stays but I would say 60% of my calories are fat calories.
    I notice i=f I start to eat too many carbs I start to gain inches even if the scale does not move.....

Hope it helps you sort it all out. The New Atkins books is excellent at explaining why/how fat is ok for you......

Good Luck!!!
    Christie

This is not true about the fats..........

You should not use 2% and such, there are additives and sugar added to make the taste closer to whole milk.

I eat over 60% fat per day, lose weight fine and my blood work is better than it has been in years.
  • takaiisan
    takaiisan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm having this problem, I'm consistently over on my fat and protein, but way under with carbs.. i'm not really sure how to alter my food intake to stop this.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,087 Member
    Options
    The only way I can maintain my weight loss is by eating 45%Fats/ 30% Carbs/ 25%Protein.....or somewhere around there. That gives me about 100g carbs a day. Fats are the way to go, my body has completely changed shape and functioning (for the better) since I added in lots more fat.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Will eating too much fat affect my weight loss even if I stay under my calorie limit? Is the breakdown that important? Does eating too much fat affect my health? What about good fats versus bad fats?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14601690

Effect of a high saturated fat and no-starch diet on serum lipid subfractions in patients with documented atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I just took a peak at your diary....it looks to me like you're using the MFP default macros. I can't remember what the default %s are, but as I recall, they're very high carb, moderate fat, low protein. You can customize your macro goals...go to home>goals>change>custom.

I do a 40c/30p/30hf ratio and it works great for me. My blood sugar has regulated and returned to normal with a lower carb intake. I'm getting tons of protein which is important in general, but very important when eating at a deficit to help you preserve lean body mass. I'm getting lots of good heart healthy fats as well and I just limit my saturated fats and no trans fats.

If you're using the MFP defaults, protein in particular is very lacking...I get about 150g of protein per day now.
  • xboomerx
    xboomerx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    High Fat and Protein are not really an issue if your eating good fats. It is the essentials of a low carb diet and it's exactly how I lose weight. I lost over 50lbs a few years ago by consistently following a diet called CKD - here is a link: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/cyclical_ketogenic_diet.htm My profile pic is me at @220lbs coming down from around 275lbs. I hurt my back roughly a month after that pic and ballooned up over the last 18 months of doing nothing.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Personally I think MFP's macro percentages are too carb heavy, unless you are fairly active every day.

I find it easier to stick to a higher fat & protein, and lower carb diet, because it's more satisfying and has staying power, than just carbs. Try 30/35/35 and see where it gets you.

Think of protein as a minimum, not a limit!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I eat 35-40% fat and my blood work is fine. I try to make them mostly not saturated fats. The only day logged on your diary is 800 calories and 54g protein. 800 calories is no where near enough and 54g protein is not very high.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    You do know you can input your own macro percentages in the food part? I think you use the settings button...
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    According to the training I just went through, the RDA based on a 2,000 calorie diet are:

Carbs - 55%
    Protein - 15%
    Fats - 30%

Personally, I don't agree. The breakdown that has worked the best for me has been:
    Carbs - 40%
    Protein - 40%
    Fats - 20%

I try to stick to 1g of protein per pound of body weight - so I TRY to eat ideally between 145 - 175 g of protein daily. I weigh 145.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    After going through my journal recently I didcovered that I lost most of my weight at 60% carbs, 25% protein and 15% fat. I then went to 50-25-25 and hit a plateau for a month so I upped calories and went to 40-30-30 that did get me more energy to exercise more but zero weightloss for a month. I have now lowered the calories but not as low as originally and am trying 50-30-20 but if this does not work I am upping carbs and lowering fat. Bread and milk does my body good.