Planet Fitness--Good gym or Bad gym

Options
I am looking for a gym. I am finding myself getting bored with what I am doing at home. There is a planet Fitness in my town and the rates seem pretty low. I was wondering if anyone knew if this was a good place to workout or if you have ever had any bad problems. Any insight would be great, or if there is another gym that you would recommend better let me know that too.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Each location is different, but from what I have seen, it's subjective.

Want all kinds of cardio equipment and mediocre weights? They should be fine for you.
    Want to lift anything even remotely heavy? Find a different gym.
    Oh...and look up stuff about the "lunk alarm" before committing.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Any gym that provides candy at the front desk, has pizza parties, and supplies bagels, does not have fitness and your best interest at heart.
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've been going to one for about a year and a half. I think my location is great, because they don't seem to hate on weight lifters like others have commented on.
    The place is always very clean, the staff is pretty nice, and it isn't terrible.

I do agree that it is odd that they have pizza and candy, but the pizza is only once a month. I say for the price, it is hard to beat. But of course your mileage may vary depending on who the owner is.
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I use Planet Fitness here in NC. I like it. I have lost 30 lbs since May. If you are a beginner, its a great place. Free training and relaxed scene. I was 238 lbs on 5-18-12. I am now 207.8 this morning. Planet Fitness allows me to burn 200-300 calories everyday I go via the cardo machines. I would recommend it.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Yeah but it is only 10 dollars a month.
  • carlom18
    carlom18 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Any gym that provides candy at the front desk, has pizza parties, and supplies bagels, does not have fitness and your best interest at heart.

the gym I go to, has egg whites, protein bars and shaker bottle at the front desk (australia).
    edit: forgot the quote
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I would make a smart comment about not allowing deadlifts, but I'm not entirely sure Crankstr can't find me and smack me. (She's scary.)

With any gym, take a tour and check it out with your fitness needs in mind. It doesn't matter what gym it is. Does it fit YOU and what YOU want to accomplish?
  • tairaven
    tairaven Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I belong to one here in Michigan, and for under $20 a month I can't complain. It has what I was looking for.

You should go in and take a tour (they let us wander around on our own too) and see what they offer and talk to some of the people that are going there. Ask questions and see if it is "right" for what you are looking for. Everyone has different needs.
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    It's were I went...still belong, just a slacker. I completed my C25K training there last spring. I love that it is truely a judgement free zone.
    The one I went to is great! Lots of options of equipment and people to show you how to use it properly.
    Even with the $10/mo membership you have access to free fitness classes and even personal trainer sessions.

I did wonder about the grape tootsie rolls...but just figured that was their gimmick. I can easily pass that up.
    Didn't hear anything about pizza parties and whatnot. Maybe that's just a local thing?

I would suggest them.
  • Figs318
    Figs318 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

This is not true. I used to go to a Planet Fitness, and yes they do give those things but its only once a month, aside from the candy which is just in a bowl. Also in terms of what Gallow said.... not sure what he meant cuz the planet fitness i went to had a bunch of cardio machines and "heavy" things to lift. Its really all depends on you. My wife goes there and loves it, especially it being 24 hours. Staff has always been very helpful and knowledgable, in the end though i believe its how comfortable you are in the gym.
  • AndreaMerrill
    AndreaMerrill Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had a membership. If you sign up around new years and when they're running specials it's $99 for the year. If not it's $10 a month - but there is usually a $20 down payment up front and every year an annual fee of around $60. If you can pay the $99 up front you save the extra costs.

Overall good gym - I just found I never made it there so I didn't re-new this year. I like that they have early morning and late night hours (some 24 hours I think). I never had an issues and staff pretty much leaves you alone to do your own thing. The price is right and I didn't waste money on the black card ($20 a month with guest passes and tanning).
  • mrsladybrewer
    mrsladybrewer Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I really like PF. I go daily, and I use cardio and weights each day. There are only a couple pieces of strength equipment I wish they had, but all in all, I can get done what I need to.
    I would say to go in and check out your facility. Do you know someone with a Black Card that can take you in to workout a couple times?
  • suzely0530
    suzely0530 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've been going to PF for over a year and love it !! At least the one I go to...it's not a pick up joint like so many other gyms. I see older adults, people with disabilities, and just regualr people. The equipment is new...gym is clean. I recommend it !!
  • mboktay
    mboktay Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Love mine here in Dallas. I like the 30 minute circuit training best. It does have everything, unless you want group aerobic classes, spin and those sort of things. They do have FREE personal training available. Mine brings in pizza the first Monday of the month for free and Einstein bagels and coffee the 1st Tuesday of the month. Guess I'll be there next week! hee hee. I've been slacking too though. But just typing this got me pretty hyped and motivated.
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I've been going for about a month. I used to attend Lucille Roberts but that's ladies only and my boyfriend wanted to workout as well, plus PF is cheaper ... but you get what you pay for. I liked that Lucille Roberts was only women and also offered classes like zumba and pilates. PF is co-ed, so if you're self-conscious about working out with men around, that might be an issue for you.

My PF has the "lunk alarm" but I've never seen it go off. I've seen giant meatheads grunting and slamming weights. Once I actually complained about it because someone slammed the weights so hard I heard it (and felt it) through my headphones and it honestly scared me. Anyway when I complained they said there was nothing they could do, so I'm not sure if my gym follows the "no lunk" policy depicted in their commercials.

I find that PF and LR are both busy around the same times, but LR was better because they had a 30 minutes per cardio machine policy during peak hours. PF has no such policy, so you may find yourself waiting a long time for an elliptical or treadmill, especially if it's free pizza night.

I haven't had the pizza, and the bagels weren't there when they were supposed to be. That said I'm a New Yorker and I'd rather have "real" pizza or bagels so I can't be bothered to see what kind of crap imitation they offer because it surely isn't worth the calories.

I'd say it's good if you want to use the cardio machines or if you want to do some work with the weight machines, but if you don't know what you're doing it's really easy to get nothing out of your workouts. For $10 a month I really can't complain ... especially because my shower at home never has any hot water, so my gym membership pays for itself in hot showers :)
  • skmolove
    skmolove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    a new one just opend in my town; i really like it. i was a skeptic at frist as i was only ever a member at the all ladies type of gym but as already mentioned mines very clean, lots of cardio machines and they have a 30 minute circuit. i met with a staff member who set me up with a work out for the machines which helped me to take the guess work out of how to operate the machines correctly. i like the ability to pay a little more for the black membership and i can take a guest (one of my daughters), use tanning beds, and massage bed/chairs...imo its worth the $$
  • carlom18
    carlom18 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I had a membership. If you sign up around new years and when they're running specials it's $99 for the year. If not it's $10 a month - but there is usually a $20 down payment up front and every year an annual fee of around $60. If you can pay the $99 up front you save the extra costs.

Overall good gym - I just found I never made it there so I didn't re-new this year. I like that they have early morning and late night hours (some 24 hours I think). I never had an issues and staff pretty much leaves you alone to do your own thing. The price is right and I didn't waste money on the black card ($20 a month with guest passes and tanning).

$99 FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Here in australia, perth, the gym I am is one of the best when it comes to pricing around the area, and its around $300 for the whole year! then again, cost of living is damn high here >.<
  • HappyNinjaStar
    HappyNinjaStar Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I belonged to one in NC about 6 years ago before I moved out of the city and far far away from any gym :sad:

For the price (it was $10 a month when I was there), I thought it was a great deal. Tons of cardio and weight lifting equipment. When I joined, got a free personal training sessions, where I was shown how to use all of the machines and where I should start with weight and resistance. The hours were pretty good too. At one point the one I went to was 24 hrs, but then it closed for like 4 hours in the wee hours of the morning.

Downside, there weren't any classes like yoga or spinning at my location. And if you were into heavy lifting, there really wasn't the equipment, and weight dropping was frowned on.

It was weird that they did pizza parties, but for me that definitely wasn't a deal breaker, given the price.

Generally, it was a very clean, friendly, and inexpensive gym.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want to use it for. I can't use PF because the PFs where I am do not have any free weights and free weights are my only reason for even having a gym membership.
  • annemw82
    annemw82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I personally love it. But I also go to the gym mainly for cardio and do most of my strength workouts at home. Mine has a very relaxed atmosphere which makes it great for first time gym goers. The staff is friendly and the gym is always very clean. It's really busy right now because of the new years resolution folks and the weather, but there's always open machines. They also have the 30 min circuit, which is a nice change of pace. and I know some have a circuit that focuses just on abs.

Yes they do pizza one night a month and bagels one morning a month, but it's not like they are shoving them down your throat. This is probably the 4th or 5th gym I've been a member of over the years, but its the only one I have consistently gone to (for nearly 3 years now) and I know that has contributed significantly to my weight loss.

Good Luck!