It's hard to lose when you're always on the go

Options
Hey everyone! I'm a 24 year old female trying to lost at least 50lbs (more like 100 if I can) but I'm struggling to stay on a steady low cal diet and I have zero time to exercise. I'm a full time college student (a senior) and I work ~25 hours per week in an office. If/when I do get a day off, I usually just want to spend it on the couch because I'm so tired from running around.

Hoping to meet people in similar situations to help motivate each other. I started using this program a WHILE ago, fell off, and am just getting back into it. A lot of my friends don't need to lose weight and they're all pretty fit. So no motivation there. Help me out guys!

Replies

• Rachel_Matheson
    Options
    I too am on the go A LOT between travel for work and my 3 kids at home. Finding healthy options and the drive to work out is so difficult sometimes...especially on the weekends as you said.

I've been getting up at 5:30 am and working out for an hour at my office. But that only works when I'm not traveling. I've tried to be good about packing some workout clothes and using the fitness rooms at hotels but it just isn't the same when in an unfamiliar place. I can't really do treadmills or anything because I've had reconstructive surgery on my hip and walking/running is not good for it. I'm doing a 'dumbed down' version of P90X. I've started the program a few times and I push myself too hard, end up stressing my body out and getting sick...and then quitting. So I am starting off VERY slow.

Anyway, hoping to meet some people who are also busy and on the go and can maybe share some tips on how to make it a little easier.
  • linsrae1
    Options
    Hey! I know that feeling. I lost the bulk of my weight (going on 75 lbs lost total this week! WHOA!) while working 40-45 hours a week and taking Masters classes at night. It is crazy hard to do, but worth it in the long run.
    I know this is hard to hear, but I have learned over the past 75 lbs that weight loss is more about nutrition than exercise. Weird, right? You need exercise to help speed up the process and definitely need weight lifting to tone your body, but you can lose weight just by eating a healthy diet.

My biggest suggestions are:

Eat REAL food. Not processed junk. Look at ingredients lists. If there are tons of ingredients listed and/or things that are hard to pronounce, it's probably bad for you to eat. If you eat real fruits and veggies, healthy, lean meats and drink mostly water...I promise...the lbs will melt away.

Don't drink soda. Even the diet stuff. Replace it with water (or if you need some flavor, try putting a couple drops of liquid stevia in ice water OR make a jug of water with your favorite berry in the water. Adds some flavor). I was a Coke addict and then a diet coke addict for several years. When I switched to diet I lost like...2 lbs. When I stopped drinking soda completely I lost 8.

Use the food journal here or get a notebook and track what you eat. Be BRUTALLY honest with what you eat. That's the only way you can see what is actually going into your body, so you can make changes if needed.

Finally, watch those portion sizes. Check this out: http://kidshealth.org/parent/nutrition_center/healthy_eating/myplate.html
    Now, I eat more protein than carbs...but this is a good start.

One of the things that saved me during crazy hours were smoothies. My trainer told me about this site: http://www.dailybitesblog.com/beverages-smoothies/ which has some great ones. Don't be scared about putting kale or spinach in a fruit or nut butter smoothie, if you get the proportions correct you can't even taste the green stuff. You get great nutrients and they are super fast to make. Plus yummy.

I hope the ideas help. Take a look at my profile and see my before pic and my today pic. I am so much healthier and so much happier. Yes, I do work out now and yeah, I know the feeling of wanting to crash on the couch after several days of working. However, I always regret the days I don't make it for a quick workout. I have never regretting actually getting something done. Even a short jog or walk is better than nothing!

Keep it up! You can do it! I promise!
  • mwpapineau
    Options
    I'm a busy stay at home mom of 4. I can't do any full workouts now b/c I stained my achilles tendon. I am going to try lifting some light weights so that I am at least doing something. When you are traveling you could pack a workout DVD that you could use in your hotel room (I think most hotels have DVD machines in their rooms) Good luck!
  • linsrae1
    Options
    Lifting in sitting positions or using some weight machines will be really beneficial to you with an injury. Using the machines can help take some of the pressure off of hurt joints or tendons. I used machines to strengthen some injured joints, and now I don't need to use them. I am all free weights now, which can help work out more than one muscle group at a time. I promise, even small amounts of exercise add up in the long run!
  • haleeodessa
    haleeodessa Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm right there with you. Don't give up! I have tried losing weight before but just got bored when I didn't see results and gave up. I'm truly trying this time. I have been logging food for a month and I think my food choices are getting better with each week. I've been trying to eat smaller portions and control my hunger.

I am also a senior in high school. Congrats! I graduate in September. I work in an office 81/2 hours a day so by the time I get home the DVR is my best friend. I decided to move my (very old) treadmill in front of the TV so I keep moving while I watch my shows. It's working so far. I also take a 30 minutes or so before bed and do a few work outs with the 10 Minute Trainer DVDs.

Every day its hard. I've thought about quitting countless times but I know that my lifestyle won't change on it's own. Having support and friends here has really helped me. My friends and family at home think it's a joke. If you need someone to talk to, I'm here.

Good luck!

Halee