Busting my butt but the scales not moving

Options
I am 29. 5'2" and 157 lbs. I eat >1200 calories a day and exercise three times a day burning approx 3000 calories but the scale has only moved three pounds since 1/17. I have lost approx 11 inches over all ( thrilled!!) but why isnt the number on the scale dropping?

Replies

• correction *2000 calories burned from exercise
  • jallenjax
    jallenjax Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Maybe you've added a lot of muscle mass.
  • Tootce01
    Tootce01 Posts: 184
    Options
    Measurements speak volumes!! Muscle weighs more than fat! Keep up the great work!
  • dipmo1
    dipmo1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    its because alot of times you will see the inches come off alot faster than the weight at first..that is normal. Dont let the scale decieve you. Its a combination of both. Looks like your doing awesome..keep up the good work.
  • Rodderick89
    Rodderick89 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I read this wrong, but I read it as you eat about 1200 calories a day and burn off 2000 calories a day? Was that meant to say a week?

Well done on the inches lost so far, that's great :)

Edited to add: 3lbs lost in 2 weeks is fab!! Keep up the good work.. if you continue to lose 1.5lbs a week, in 10 weeks you'll have lost over a stone!
  • alowry007
    alowry007 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position right now :( It sucks!!!!
  • desantis09
    Options
    That is awesome, keep it up. Most likely you have added muscle and lost some BodyFat. I would invest in a BodyFat Tester, they are a great tool to keep around and use in correlation in your scale also. This way when you weight is static you can use the tester as well to determine if your BF% is decreasing instead
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    If you're shrinking, why does the number on the scale matter?
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    3 pounds and 11 inches in just over 2 weeks is great - you should celebrate!! Don't get frustrated - weight loss is hard and you have accomplished a lot already - now stick with it!
  • linsrae1
    Options
    Hey! I agree, muscles are heavier than fat, so you may have replaced fat with muscle. Also, you may be eating less than 1200 calories, but you need to eat the correct types of foods to see true weight loss and a healthy body! My best tips: eat real food, not processed fake stuff, drink plenty of water, reduce and eventually eliminate soda. Also, I noticed a real difference in my weight loss when I strength trained versus blasting calories in cardio workouts. I do 2-3 cardio workouts and 3 strength training workouts now, and I am steadily losing 1.5-2 lbs a week.
  • SassyClassyandALittleBadAssy
    Options
    Right there with you! I never actually took measurements before (and I'm kicking myself for it) - but based on how everything fits and feels I know I've lost considerably inch-wise, but like you, the scale isn't moving. It's wicked frustrating, but know you're doing great and it'll happen soon enough!
  • linsrae1
    Options
    3 pounds and 11 inches in just over 2 weeks is great - you should celebrate!! Don't get frustrated - weight loss is hard and you have accomplished a lot already - now stick with it!

Elaine is right! This is a great success. Nutritionists and trainers suggest most people to lose 1-2 lbs a week as healthy, safe weight loss.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Nothing to complain about- you are doing great! Keep it up!
  • myrahonbarrier
    myrahonbarrier Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hide your scales and stop obsessing over that number. The measurements and how your clothes are more important. Don't let that stupid number on the scale get you frustrated.. It's a mind game and don't let it win!
  • Geeky_Girl
    Geeky_Girl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I read this wrong, but I read it as you eat about 1200 calories a day and burn off 2000 calories a day? Was that meant to say a week?

^^This^^ 1200 cals in minus 2000 cals out nets minus 800. MFP suggests netting 1200 cals a day. Was the 2000 per week? I'm a novice, so maybe I'm not understanding it. :smile:
  • Thanks everyone. Just frustrating when I know I am busting my butt. But I am more determined then I have ever been.:flowerforyou:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You've clearly gained a ton of muscle. :flowerforyou:
  • I am eating approx 1200 calories a day. I am exercising and burning approx 2000 a day so yes that would put me around -800 a day. Thats why I am frustrated but I know all good things take time
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Maybe you've added a lot of muscle mass.

NO. You will only gain significant amounts of muscle eating at surplus. Which clearly you are NOT. Am I correct in understand that you are netting in the negative everyday? You are not eating enough. That's why you haven't lost much weight. Your body isn't going to shed pounds if it's afraid it may not get to eat tomorrow, or all week, or goodness knows when.

I suggest you ALWAYS net at 1200 or above. Prepare for possible health issues and an almost certain protein deficiency if you don't (splitting/cracking/peeling fingernails, bad hair and skin)

PS. Eating at such a large deficit plus your steep exercise deficit is actually going to cause you to LOSE lean body mass.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    3 lbs in 2 weeks is really really good! Don't freak out!

Just to warn you. The next week or so you may not see it move at all or you may even "gain" a pound or two. Don't freak out if this happens. Keep doing what you are doing. Weight loss is not a sprint. It's a marathon.

As far as reasons why this happens:
    1) Could be gaining some muscle mass.
    2) Most likey, you are retaining water.
    3) Also, you can fluctuate as much as 5 lbs in either direction within a 24 hour period. Remember that your body is a constantly changing dynamic machine.

There is a lot written about this on the forums, but beware of all the misinformation on here. There is A LOT of it.