what to do when going on vacation

Options
I started using MFP beginning of January; I have been faithfully eating within my calorie allotment, tracking my food & exercise everyday, and getting in daily exercise (currently doing 30 day Shred in the morning seven days a week, 30 min walk over my lunch hour 2x/week, 30 min. on treadmill on highest incline 2x/week, and yesterday started 6 Week 6 Pack after work -planning to try and do it 3-5x/week). I don't have any weight left to loose but my goal was to eat healthier, improve my fitness, and TONE as opposed to being "skinny-fat".

In three weeks time, I am going on a one week vacation to the Caribbean (=short-term motivation!). There is no question, I will be lying on the beach, sipping fruity drinks, and eating from the buffet. Counting calories will not be possible, there is no dvd player in the room to continue with my dvd workouts (yes, I already checked). It is my intention to try to make good food selections from the options availabe in the buffet - but there are a lot of unknowns in that area - afterall, it is the Caribbean and not home. The last two such vacations I took, I typically gained 3 lbs. each time, but I wonder if it will be worse this time since my body is probably getting use to a daily work out.

So I am curious: how does everyone handle their vacation week? Do you just figure you'll take the week off for some R & R and get back on track when the week is over and you're back at home? Or do you follow another plan?

Replies

• nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Take advantage of your location and go for some beautiful walks/runs on the beach, take some resistance bands with you and you can work out every muscle group you have, print off some workouts to use them with. Try the fitness magazine website for great ideas for different kinds of workouts. As far as the buffets, cut yourself a little slack but stick to lots of fruits and veggies with lean protein (bet there will be lots of seafood choices) and you should do fine.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Went to the OBX in May and took the week off from my diet... I did get long walks on the beach everyday but ate pretty much what I wanted and came back 7 lbs. up on the scale. Took me 3 weeks to get back on track... Had a great time, didn't stress over anything and am no worse for wear today.....

Have Fun...
  • AngelaKelly02
    AngelaKelly02 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm weird but I usually lose weight when I'm on vacation because I'm usually so active every day, walking places, swimming, and just doing things. I'm sure you'll still be able to keep active.
  • DotCanada
    DotCanada Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    resistance bands- great idea!
    As for the buffet...I hate seafood! lol
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Lol....well that is one protein choice down the drain.....look for grilled lean proteins then. Another solution could be to get yourself a portable dvd player, or do you have a laptop that plays dvd's?
  • vicarella13
    Options
    Hi,
    Here is what works for me:

1. Have a good breakfast (eggs or egg whites) with vegetables in it. Most places will make you omlettes fresh. Fill up on fruit too.

2. If you have a big breakfast you might not be hungry for lunch. If you do stick with something light. Salads, wraps, etc.

3. Be active....most places have gyms too. Although I always say I am going to use them...I have only once in my life....but walking, swimming, etc is good.

4. Alcohol....try to consume in moderation. Those sugary ones are the worst. I prefer to stick with wine....

5. Dinner ---make lighter choices (fish, lots of vegetables) and share a dessert instead of eating the entire thing.

6. When you got the buffet, never get seconds

7. Drink water throughout the day instead of juice or pop.

Not sure where you are going in the Caribbean but most places will have a healthy menu, or low salt, etc. You would be surprised and a lot of the food you are used too. I'm sure there will be a salad bar at the buffet so stick with it.

But enjoy life too! ....in moderation...

So I am curious: how does everyone handle their vacation week? Do you just figure you'll take the week off for some R & R and get back on track when the week is over and you're back at home? Or do you follow another plan?
    [/quote]
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    god speed... i just got back from a weekend in New Orleans for Mardi Gras.. what i did was track....i found a few low calorie things i could track on my phone.. .. i did ok and really didn't eat until later in the day. I packed 100 calorie nuts and light baby bell cheese to eat when i was super hungry...then ate at night. On the last day...the fourth..it got very hard to stick to it. I don't know how you'll do it an entire week..unless they have grilled shrimp and seafood..then you'll be fine.
  • life99joy
    life99joy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm too - going to DR at the end of the month. Didn't choose all-inclusive option on purpose so my husband and I can make smarter choices with food: we all know what happens when you're constantly surrounded by food, sugary drinks and alcohol. I'm not a big drinker and I love seafood - so hoping to do a lot of swimming and walking around the beach. Hope it'll pay off only couple lbs gain.
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    do you have internet access? maybe bring your laptop or other device with internet access and do 30DS through youtube? all 3 levels are on youtube. 6w6p is also on youtube. vimeo has JM's banish fat, boost metabolism.

i have a tendency to go crazy on vacation. the only time i didn't blow it was when i brought my scale. yes, you read it right. i went on vacation with my scale. call me nuts, anal-retentive, whatever...but it was the only vacation where i didn't gain anything. it was the least i could do as logging was not an option (no internet) but if i had to face that scale every couple days, i knew i'd make better food choices while on vacation.

but that's just me. it was the easiest solution for that particular vacation. my husband thought i was insane but all i can say is it worked.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Jog in the sand? :)
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    3 lbs.. Blah.. Water Weight.. Enjoy your vacation ! Eat what looks good, drink what you want and get back at it when you get back..