Another reason not to eat fast food...

Options

Replies

• JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    This one case might only be in the UK and Ireland, but things like this happen in places all around the UK and US in all manner of ways. (Pink Slime, anyone??)

I'm not saying to never eat fast food, but if you eat food that you haven't prepared personally you can't freak out if there is weird stuff in it; it's a risk you take, unfortunately.

Its the same reason why I don't rely on calorie counts that restraunts advertise online; it can't be depended on to be what is advertised. If you want to go to Applebees, be aware that your "Skinny" choice might have 50% more calories than you think, and if you eat at Burger King you have to be OK with the idea of eating the family pet.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with the idea of eating horse meat. In fact, I was watching a history channel or discovery channel documentary and it said in one country that instead of surf and turf (seafood and steak) they have something called Quack and Track (duck and horse), and I think I would try that should I ever go there.
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Will I be eating BK any time soon?.. Neigh I say! My MANE reason.. its too hard to fit into my macros.

Eh.. nm.. I was just horsing around.

You Rock!
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Well....good thing I live in the US and not the UK...I prefer Backyard Burger anyway...if I want a burger...

Never been a fan of Burger King's burgers....like their chicken sandwiches though.

Or IS IT chicken? :huh: LOL
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about those french fried taters!
    Friedtaters_zps0ec27024.gif

Ok, I'll stop Horsing around now.

<3
  • Shannon16385
    Options
    I just came back to the US after living in Italy for a few years- Horse meat is very common in over there, and is nothing out of the ordinary.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I should confirm that this scandal is only relevant to Britain and Ireland. It has been big news over here

I don't think there is really anything wrong with horse-meat, it's just that we don't eat it here, and because of that this meat is illegal and we have no idea if it is safe such as what drugs the horses might have been given or how they were killed. And as far as I know, we're still not sure how the horse meat got there.

Thankfully I'm vegetarian, I just hope there's no chance of horse meat in my veggie burger! :noway:

I'd be worried about the chemical content of horse meat too. Over here racehorses get slaughtered regularly and they're walking chemical factories on legs because they're put on the track too young and suffer all kinds of injuries. Horse meat probably makes the chemical content of beef seem like a multivitamin.

Plus I grew up with horses. No way I'm eating them. Well, not unless I was starving to death.
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Horse meat is delicious; it is known.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Burger king burgers have meat on them?
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    WAIT?!?!?!?!

Whopper have actual meat in them?
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    It wasn't that long ago that horses were man's best friend not dogs
  • viper_7
    Options
    BK sold it, the buck stops with them, they can try to deflect as much as they like, it's their issue.

They should have full audit and quality controls in place - they didn't. Much like the other sellers.
    This is probably the tip of the iceberg, if they didn't know horse meat was in the product (And it looks like it could have been up to a year) what else is in it? That's the problem not that it's just horse, - what else, their controls failed.

Don't get why people buy frozen burgers, this is one of the most simplest things to make yourself and the end result will be sooo much better for you, and soo much tastier.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    why are people so surprised that there's dead animal in their hunk of dead animal?

I've never understood why it's OK to eat some dead animals and not others?

Some places eat dogs and cats (our pets)
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's the fact that horse meat was used, I think it's the fact that Burger King may have covered it up until they found an alternative supplier and the fact that cross-contamination existed. Whether it's in the US or in the UK,; it doesn't matter.

The problem is not dead meat in the meat; it's how it perhaps got there.
  • yasavi
    yasavi Posts: 30
    Options
    well fast food "tastes" good because of all the MSG crap they put in the food. I hear KFC is the worst. They coat everything in that stuff. Bleh... Chinese restaurants also use a lot of it because it is addictive and it enhances flavors.

Another thing is trans fat, and lots of it. Less than 0.5g of trans fat are labeled as having 0g of trans fat and it does add up!
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Of course, I had to google pink slime to figure out what it is.

Yes, I prefer horse. But I'd like to know that I am eating horse, and not be told afterwards that they put some mystery meat in my food.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I"m happy that I don't eat meat... however, weird things are always in our food when you buy is premade/packaged/anything processed.

The FDA allows a certain percentage of various things in our food we would not eat ourselves. Research what the FDA will allow in processed foods and I bet you will second guess eating anything premade again.
  • Melampus
    Melampus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying to never eat fast food, but if you eat food that you haven't prepared personally you can't freak out if there is weird stuff in it; it's a risk you take, unfortunately.

The difficulty is that most of don't control the supply chain. Using the example if eating beef, unless you raise and slaughter the cattle yourself you can't be completely sure what you're eating. Obviously the more processed the food is the more steps there are where you relying on someone else to be honest and the more opportunity there is for hiding unscrupulous practice.

This particular case follows hot on the tails of the suggestion that beef burgers sold by some supermarkets here contained horse meat and a UK supplier which had outsourced production to continental Europe, where eating horse meat is not considered unusual, was implicated as being the source. The issue is not that there is any health risk to eating horse, as I said earlier people in other countries do, it is more that we have a right for people selling things to correctly describe what they are selling.

Although this particular instance happened in the UK I suspect it could happen many other places too. Any time companies believe they will not be found out and therefore won't be held to account the temptation will exist to do this kind of thing.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I don't get this. Why is a horse different than a cow? I mean, biologically they're not that different. If you're willing to eat one, why not the other?
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Will I be eating BK any time soon?.. Neigh I say! My MANE reason.. its too hard to fit into my macros.

Eh.. nm.. I was just horsing around.

LOL! Love it!