Early/at homeworkout tips...

Options
Happy Friday! I recently got a new job, and with my schedule I will be working out from home. I'm pretty excited to give it a try, I have always been a gym kind of girl, but it will be fun to mix it up. The other thing is I will be at it at 5 am. Any tips to help me get in the zone for my workout? Anything would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I work out at home around 5 AM too. It took a little dragging myself out of bed at first, but now that I've gotten used to it, I really enjoy it. The house is quiet and I can really focus on what I'm doing. When I started, I set my workout stuff out so that it'd be right there when I woke up and I wouldn't have any excuses to not get up and do it.
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    That is a good tip. That is too early to be getting stuff together, so I will def prepare the night before!
  • Rodderick89
    Rodderick89 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Sleep in your workout clothes, have your ipod fully charged, have workout gear laid out ready to use and a bottle of water ready in the fridge :)
  • jmdesrochers
    jmdesrochers Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Doing a kettle bell routine is a challenge for anyone, depending on the weight, but it's also quiet, your housemates will thank you!
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    you can do lots at home!! i did insanity for months at 4:30 in the morning. then i bought a barbell set/bench and now i do strength training at home in the morning. it's a wonderful way to start the day! :)

edited to add...best advice i can give is DO NOT HIT SNOOZE. just get right up and get started. i have never regretted a morning workout.
  • AuntieKT
    AuntieKT Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I "try" to be beginning my morning workout most days at 4:30am. There is a ton of stuff you can do at home really easily. I do a lot of Body Rock/ Daily HIIT workouts and also fitness videos. My favorites are the Jillian Michaels ones, but I am kind of a glutton for punishment, LOL! Like previous posters said, the secret to working out in the morning is to prepare everything the night before. At least for me, that isn't what gets me up, but it is what keeps me from being late for work! Though I try to workout twice most days, its really nice to get that morning workout in cuz it makes me feel good the rest of the day and I know that if something happens and I'm not able to do my evening workout, that I at least got something in!
  • DonnaCarmody
    DonnaCarmody Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I meet my sister out at 5:15am for a five mile run, having an exercise buddy helps a lot!
  • NicholeElizabeth92
    NicholeElizabeth92 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I suggest putting your alarm clock on the other side of the room. It forces you to get up to shut it off and well youre already out of bed which is the hardest part.
  • jivitasa
    Options
    Great suggestions! Does anyone drink any coffee first? I'm not a big coffee drinker, but I think I may be needing it. I was thinking maybe an iced coffee while I pack my lunch and listen to my ipod to get the blood pumping before I get to it!
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4:30 to work out. 3 days a week I run at the gym and the other 3 days I do workouts at home. I CAN'T drink coffee first. If I do my heart races too fast and I get dizzy. I wear sweats and a tank top to bed, so on the days I work out at home, I get up, put on my sports bra and shoes and head downstairs. It gets easier the more used to it you get. It also helps me that my husband gets up at the same time even though he's just going to another room to play video games. At least he's not enjoying my warm cozy bed without me!
  • jivitasa
    Options
    I'm up at 4:30 to work out. 3 days a week I run at the gym and the other 3 days I do workouts at home. I CAN'T drink coffee first. If I do my heart races too fast and I get dizzy. I wear sweats and a tank top to bed, so on the days I work out at home, I get up, put on my sports bra and shoes and head downstairs. It gets easier the more used to it you get. It also helps me that my husband gets up at the same time even though he's just going to another room to play video games. At least he's not enjoying my warm cozy bed without me!

Awww :). It's funny you say that, because I was thinking the same thing. My fiance also wakes up with me, so it does make me feel better I'm not the only one up and at it!
  • Rodderick89
    Rodderick89 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Haha - to those saying put your alarm clock on the other side of the room - I am awful and will get up, turn it off, then get back into bed! I am NOT a morning person at all!! My guy housemates have to wake me up when I am on early shifts for work (when they're just getting in from a night shift) by turning on my bedroom light and shouting at me ;) Massive thumbs up to anyone who actually exercises first thing in the morning, I wish I had your enthusiam :)