so...about my abs

Options
I am terrible at ab exercises! I go to planet fitness and I don't use the ab machines because they hurt my neck/back which means I'm doing it wrong or whatever so I'm trying to stick to floor exercises that I can't hurt myself with. I'm not totally sure what a good ab routine should be for me, like what exercises to do and how long or how many reps. Its the one muscle group I really want to improve on and the one I totally suck at working on! I would really like someone to list exactly what I should do or maybe a link to somewhere that has more information. I'm 5'5 and weigh 118 right now and I want to work my abs and get rid of my muffin top and I really need some help! Thank you!

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    First of all, ab work won't get rid of the muffin top. Spot reducing is a myth.

But for abs, have you tried planks?
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"5 127 and the best one for me is reverse crunches. Huge difference and my abs actually feel worked after.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Sound like you just need to lower overall bf% somewhat.

No need for direct isolation ab work, that does not give you defined abs, I would suggest eating at 10% below your TDEE and get adequate protein (0.8grams/lb of weight should be a good number to start with), and take part in a heavy lifting strength training routine that centers around compound moves (Bench press, shoulder press, pull-ups, dead lifts, squats, cleans etc.)
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have the Turbo Jam 5 DVD set (Chalene Johnson) and one of the workouts is "Ab Jam".... It's 10 minutes of standing abs then 10 minutes of floor abs. It's really good.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, but if you're looking to strengthen your abs and core, planks and all their variations are a good place to start.
  • Lindz8afish
    Lindz8afish Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Sound like you just need to lower overall bf% somewhat. I would suggest eating at 10% below your TDEE and get adequate protein (0.8grams/lb of weight should be a good number to start with), and take part in a heavy lifting strength training routine that centers around compound moves (Bench press, shoulder press, pull-ups, dead lifts, squats, cleans etc.)

Ditto the heavy lifting part and lots of protein (if you're going to lift)! After having two kids, my stomach is the worst part of me. I know some of the flab is extra skin unfortunately probably here to stay :-/ But after just 3 weeks of doing Jamie Eason's LiveFit program (free on bodybuilding.com) I have dropped a pant size and lost close to 2 inches off my "pooch". She focuses very little on abs, says they are formed in the kitchen :) Goodluck!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I like plank crunches....okay well I don't "like" them, but they're really effective.

3D-Plank-Crunch.jpg
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    everyone has "abs" but in order for them to show you need to eat clean and lower BF%. Abs are made in the kitchen... apparently.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options

No need for direct isolation ab work, that does not give you defined abs, I would suggest eating at 10% below your TDEE and get adequate protein (0.8grams/lb of weight should be a good number to start with), and take part in a heavy lifting strength training routine that centers around compound moves (Bench press, shoulder press, pull-ups, dead lifts, squats, cleans etc.)

I agree with this
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I like plank crunches....okay well I don't "like" them, but they're really effective.

3D-Plank-Crunch.jpg

planks are great for core strength!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    everyone has "abs" but in order for them to show you need to eat clean and lower BF%. Abs are made in the kitchen... apparently.

Clean eating may help you achieve a deficit, but it is not a prerequisite. As long as you get protein and have a caloric deficit (just a small one) you will lose body fat and drop bf%
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Planks.
  • Rissyroo513
    Rissyroo513 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't know if your planet fitness offers it, but mine has a free meeting with a trainer that can show you how to properly use the machines so you don't cause injury. They will also develop a plan specifically for you depending on what you want to work on. Again, I don't know if your location does it but it's worth checking out.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Also to make sure you are doing any sort of mat work or crunch work right, keep your eyes on the ceiling. Do not crunch your neck. To practice at home doing this try doing some crunches balancing a largeish apple or orange between your neck and sternum. If your doing it right, you keep your neck in a nice neutral position while holding the fruit there.

Also like everyone else said you need to reduce BF
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and 128 and think my abs are coming along quite nicely (see profile picture). What you really need to do to get that flat tummy is lower overall body fat percentage to sub 20%. I have accomplished this through lifting heavy and eating at a very slight deficit with high protein. I recommend the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" and the corresponding diet and exercise plan.

I also find a very intense yoga class I take to be better work for my core than any self-led moves I have tried.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Try planks, V-ups, Go to the pull up bar and do some Knees to elbows. All of these will help your core.

Remember though, like others have stated, you cant spot reduce your fatty areas. Hard work, diet, and patience is what will win the war over body fat!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

I agree with this

YES! Check out "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler. Good luck.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Planks,
    hyperextensions,
    mountain climbers (also raises heartbeat quite a bit!),
    sphinx with walks (start standing up, bend over and put your hands on the ground, walk all the way down to plank, drop onto your elbows (SOFTLY!), shift forward, shift back, walk back up, rinse and repeat for a while =P),

these are all pretty normal, low impact moves. Don't forget your lower back!
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options

3D-Plank-Crunch.jpg

I had to save this image, looks like a great exercise.
  • jeanmoreno
    jeanmoreno Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    .....agreed!