Protein for females?

Options
Hello,

I am really trying to put on some muscle and would love to have a rock hard body... The problem is I don't know where to start. I don't know what kind of schedule I should be on with strength training and cardio. Also is it a good idea to be taking protein.. MFP says I am getting enough protein daily but not sure if I would need more to build muscle.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• smccb
    smccb Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just read "New Rules of Lifting for Women" - I think it was only $12 or so. There is a great strength training schedule in the book (along with a "how to do each move" description and picture). There is also a meal plan and food information section which will help you feed your body correctly as you build muscle.

It may be a good place to start. I have heard that many women have been very successful using the program.

Hope that helps!
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My wife is currently supplementing with protein and lifting on my 4 day schedule with me. She is seeing good results. Our routine is based on compound movements (squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, pull ups, barbell rows) and has accessory exercises added to back fill the workout.

She is eating about 1g of protein per lb these days which, at her size equates to her normal diet plus two scoops of whey protein a day most days.

We have been using Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard whey, she really likes the mocha cappuccino flavor since she was previously a caribou coffee junkie. I also like to mix my protein with almond milk instead of cow's if I'm looking to save calories.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    MFP is basically the minimum protein you should be getting.

Realistically should be at 1gm per pound of body weight

Also, look at stronglifts 5x5 or new rules of weightlifting for women for strength.

No cardio is required but if it makes you feel better do it