Anyone tried shirataki noodles/miracle noodles?

I've heard that shirataki noodles are really good and was just wondering if anyone else has tried these noodles before? If it is good I will get some. The Asian stores are loaded with these at really cheap prices but I don't know what to do with them.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    I tried them once. That was enough.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    I don't know if I'd call them "really good", but with 0 calories and 0 carbs they're definitely worth trying. I've used them in stir fry: Just rinse, pull apart and cut up a little (otherwise they stay in a big clump) and add at the end just until heated.
  • I eat shirataki noodles. It's a good alternative to pasta but without the carbs and not much calories. It has a weird fishy smell so make sure to rinse them well before cooking.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member

Same here!!
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    I eat shirataki noodles. It's a good alternative to pasta but without the carbs and not much calories. It has a weird fishy smell so make sure to rinse them well before cooking.

I like them.

Definitely something that you have to work a bit on to make them turn out right.

Don't smell them before you rinse them unless you like fish/seaweed smells.

Boiling them in a bit of bullion fixes the smell. If you dry fry them in a skillet they can turn out pretty much like pasta.

So, yeah - they can be a great alternative to pasta. But, not something you're going to want to pop straight out of the bag and eat. :)
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member

Concur with Ready2rock2006.

Honestly, all the foods I like to eat on pasta or rice I am quite happy to pile on shredded lettuce or cabbage - so stir fry or tomato sauce with meatballs or shreded pork.. all taste great on shredded lettuce or cabbage.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Honestly, all the foods I like to eat on pasta or rice I am quite happy to pile on shredded lettuce or cabbage - so stir fry or tomato sauce with meatballs or shreded pork.. all taste great on shredded lettuce or cabbage.

I've never thought of this... I'm going to have to try this now. Thanks!
  • capnlizard
    capnlizard Posts: 73 Member
    I make an Asian "hot pot" style soup that needed some more non-broth content (it's basically pork loin, mushrooms, spices, broth, green onions, and wilted spinach), so I started using shirataki noodles in it, and they work well in this context. Like other users have said, though, they REEK, so you definitely will need to rinse and drain them several times before adding them to any recipe. In soup, they end up having a similar consistency to the noodles used in those processed instant Ramen soups, so I am not entirely sure how they would translate in other dishes. In soup, once rinsed, not bad at all.
  • harmonyh10
    harmonyh10 Posts: 58 Member
    mmm I really like them, I rinse them in HOT HOT water for 10 minutes then toss in a fry pan and dry cook them for about 10 or so minutes until they take color and firm up and get dry.
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    I tried the tofu version for the first time today and they were so good. I drained and rinsed them in water. I parboiled them for 2-3 minutes per the directions. I then panfried them along with some red onions, mushrooms, red peppers and 1 tbsp of olive oil ...sprinkled some mrs dash along with a little cheese...OMG...it was like manna from heaven. I am completely sold.