First week, lost all motivation!!

Options
2»

Replies

• cazzer69
    cazzer69 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Most rugby players are "classified as obese" but it doesn't mean they are.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It's going to take more than a week. And, there may be times you go weeks or months without losing anything. But, don't give up because you sure won't lose anything at all if you do.
  • AnnettePennington
    Options
    I only started working out and watching calories a little over a week ago and also find myself on the scale alot. I get pretty frustrated but like you said, paying attention to how your clothes fit is very important because i have only lost one pound but my clothes seem to be looser. I am also drinking a lot more water than i used to and i'm sure our bodies retain that water like you said. I'm going to try to stay off the scale for a week and keep up with my workouts and see what happens.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying I'm on a diet. I'm just saying I started logging what I ate and have upped my exercise this week. I have been changing my lifestyle since October and I've seen a huge improvement. Lost 9lb and 4 inches from waist, 2 from hips and 2 from bum.

So I'm not expecting changes over night! All I was saying was I'm a little de-motivated this week because I've exercised more than I nornally would and have stuck to my calorie allowance (whereas before I ate less).

I also know it's not just about a number on the scales BUT medical professionals take your weight to calculate your BMI. I have been told by my GP that I need to lose weight. So yes my fitness levels may be improving and my eating habits have changed but if the numbers on the scales don't then I am still classed as obese!

So are you just venting or are you going to throw in the towel? I'm not sure from reading your comments. I know you want results on the scale, and good results, every week. The sad truth is that it doesn't happen that way. Try combining your weight and measurements to chart your progress. I haven't lost weight the past week but the jeans that I want to get into are closer to fitting than they were last week. It's OK. You can either let the number on the scale ruin your day or you can choose to simply use it as a piece of information and continue moving towards your goal.
  • kirkytwo
    kirkytwo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Im not giving up. Just venting my anger. We have a group weigh in at work every friday. Others have bigger portion sizes, full fat coke, less exercise etc. They all lost more than me. So I was really disheartened today. Tomorrow is a new day though and I will try and be more positive.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Venting is a good thing. A lot of folks (myself included) were perhaps a little harsh on you based on what we thought you were saying.

Have resonable goals
    Work towards those goals consistently
    Be patient

Progress will come, good luck.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Exercise can make you retain several pounds of water weight for an indefinite period of time in case no one already said it.

Also motivation day to day is a horrible thing to hang your new healthy lifestyle on. Make it habit, whether you feel like it or not and you'll get where you're going.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Im not giving up. Just venting my anger. We have a group weigh in at work every friday. Others have bigger portion sizes, full fat coke, less exercise etc. They all lost more than me. So I was really disheartened today. Tomorrow is a new day though and I will try and be more positive.

I'm happy to hear that! I know it's hard to stay positive after a disappointing weigh-in so your post is admirable and inspiring. I'm all for venting!
  • Syleyna
    Syleyna Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    May I just point something out to all those "muscle doesn't weigh more than fat" people.
    If you get two balls which are EXACTLY the same size, one weighs 1lbs, the other weighs 3lbs- are you telling me that the second is not heavier than the first just because the first COULD weigh the same if there were more? Of course muscle is denser than fat- hence it weighs more per 'inch', thus it weighs MORE.

Goodluck "kirkytwo". It's my weigh in today and you've scared me now. Been busting my butt all week!
    Keep at it though, and give us an update on your progress at your next weigh in! :) Hopefully you'll be a bit more excited. Mind you, 0.6lb lost is a helluva lot better than 0.6lb gained! Any loss is a loss!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Something to consider, if the other people who weighed in are heavier than you, they may be capable of dropping more pounds initially than you are.
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If you are eating healthier, sooner or later it will kick in.
    Unless it is a weight and balance scale, the measure can vary, so maybe it is a bad scale
  • kerimcdonald
    Options
    Keep going my dear! WE can do it. I am having the same problem. I followed my trainers advice and ate more protein in the morning and less carbs and cut to almost zero processed sugar, and worked out every day using my fitbit, hitting 30,000 steps in a day and 100 flights of stairs. End result after 7 weeks of this abuse....... gained 5 lbs. I'm turning back to MFP to get xome perspective and motivation. I'm here for you!
  • lioness0806
    lioness0806 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people who weigh every day, I just can't help myself. For the past week I've been watching the numbers fluctuate between the same four numbers. Am I discouaged? No! You know what I did, I pulled out my tape measure. It's been a couple weeks since I logged my waist measurement and I found that in that time I lost a quarter inch.

So.... pay attention to what the tape says and how your clothes fit too. Sometimes the number on the scale doesn't mean a damn thing.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have been at this 172 weeks (starting 173 tomorrow) and the thing I learn long ago is this isn't a race it is a lifestyle and until you reach that mindset you will have set backs. This is my life now and will be until the day I die.... Work on that aspect and you won't need motivation cause it will be a part of your daily life... Best of Luck.....
  • KathrynCatlady
    KathrynCatlady Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I also know it's not just about a number on the scales BUT medical professionals take your weight to calculate your BMI. I have been told by my GP that I need to lose weight. So yes my fitness levels may be improving and my eating habits have changed but if the numbers on the scales don't then I am still classed as obese!
    Most rugby players are "classified as obese" but it doesn't mean they are.

Don't worry about what medical professionals are saying as far as your being "overweight," "obese," etc based on BMI. The BMI classifications changed over the years. I don't believe in the "obesity epidemic." If suddenly the classification for "obesity" is a lower height-weight ratio, of COURSE it's suddenly going to look like more and more people are overweight.

I guess what I am getting at, OP, is that you are doing great! half a lb lost in a week is quite normal. Some weeks you'll have much more, and some weeks you'll stay the same. You are headed in the right direction, and that's something to be proud of. I personally think it's equally (if not more) important to pay attention to how your clothes fit, how you measurements change, how much stronger you'll begin to feel, etc with all the work you're putting in for diet and exercise.

Hang in there!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I have been at this 172 weeks (starting 173 tomorrow) and the thing I learn long ago is this isn't a race it is a lifestyle and until you reach that mindset you will have set backs. This is my life now and will be until the day I die.... Work on that aspect and you won't need motivation cause it will be a part of your daily life... Best of Luck.....

How can you argue with Experience like this^^^^ Ed is completely right, forget the scale, get healthy.
  • jakedner
    jakedner Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying I'm on a diet. I'm just saying I started logging what I ate and have upped my exercise this week. I have been changing my lifestyle since October and I've seen a huge improvement. Lost 9lb and 4 inches from waist, 2 from hips and 2 from bum.

So I'm not expecting changes over night! All I was saying was I'm a little de-motivated this week because I've exercised more than I nornally would and have stuck to my calorie allowance (whereas before I ate less).

So are you just venting or are you going to throw in the towel? I'm not sure from reading your comments. I know you want results on the scale, and good results, every week. The sad truth is that it doesn't happen that way. Try combining your weight and measurements to chart your progress. I haven't lost weight the past week but the jeans that I want to get into are closer to fitting than they were last week. It's OK. You can either let the number on the scale ruin your day or you can choose to simply use it as a piece of information and continue moving towards your goal.

Great reminder! Thanks for sharing! And congrats on the continued progress toward your jeans fitting!
  • kerimcdonald
    Options
    Venting is just as important to stay on task. If you you don't vent, you internalize it and that frustration can make you feel hopeless. Vent your heart out. We're all here doing the same thing...... trying to live a healthier happier life. The least we can do is pick one another up once in a while and dust each other off. I can't wait to hear how this weeks weigh in went! I would bet that it is better!