Best weighs to gain muscle without bulking?

Options
So I'm not really interesting in losing pounds anymore. I'm mostly interested in losing fat and gaining some muscle, regardless of what the scale says.

I'm not sure how to go about this. Should I still be eating at a calorie deficit, so that I lose the fat? Or will that prevent me from really toning/building muscle? Should I eat at a maintenance level with a lot of protein etc so that the fat will go away but muscle will still build?

What should my protein/carb/fat breakdown be?

Thoughts?? Thanks guys!

Replies

• Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    If you continue to eat a deficit you will lose fat and you will see more muscle definition as a result of that. In order to gain muscle you need to eat at least a small surplus to provide your body building blocks.

If you are looking to build muscle and are lifting mainly then many people set their protein as the main priority. Anywhere from 1-1.5g per lb of body weight. Get your carbs in, they are an energy source. My carbs are in the neighborhood of .6-1.0 g per lb and then fats fill in the rest.

Many people like 40/40/20 (P/C/F)

I could be off base on this but that is how I have been doing it for a while now and I continue to get leaner every week.

If you're going back to that old "I don't want to lift because I don't want to get all bulky thing" then read up on it. he reality is that:
    1. Most women simply can't get that bulky because thye don't produce enough of the hormones necessary to do so without significant supplementation
    2. It would take years of training to get large, even with testosterone supp.
    3. The reason body builders looks SO HUGE in photos is that when they are in contest shape they are at EXTREME low body fat% and don't look like that most of the time uness prepping for photos or contests etc.

Enjoy your clean bulk
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Heavy weight at low reps is your best bet to avoid sarcoplasmic hypertorphy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Just eat at maintenance and lift heavy. You won't "bulk". It is very difficult for women to bulk to begin with...but people who do bulk eat at a pretty good surplus and lift heavy. If you eat at maintenance, you will build muscle and burn fat.
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Read ' the new rules of lifting for women' Hun. But basically, if you eat at a deficit you will not build muscle. Also, you're never gonna get huge and 'bulky' without some serious work, a sex change and/or enhancing drugs!
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. You won't bulk.

This is a very common concern for women, we see it expressed here all the time, and it just isn't a problem.

If you want to educate yourself get the following book: "New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women" - It is an excellent resource.

JUST LIFT - you'll love the results!
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Heavy weight at low reps is your best bet to avoid sarcoplasmic hypertorphy.

This must be a joke
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Adding muscle is bulking. How long you bulk will determine if/when you start to look bulky, whatever bulky is to you.

If you want to add muscle, you need a calorie surplus and lots of heavy lifting. Along with the muscle will come some body fat, it's unavoidable. If you keep your surplus relatively small you'll limit how much fat you gain along with the muscle.

If you want to lose fat, you need a calorie deficit. Along with the fat loss will go some lean body mass, it's unavoidable. If you lift heavy and get enough protein, you can minimize how much muscle you lose.

You'll hear people argue that you can do both at the same time (build new muscle tissue and shed fat). Honestly, I'm not sure if you can or not. I think most of those people confuse getting stronger (strengthening existing muscle tissue) with building new muscle tissue. Regardless, even if you can, the gains are going to be unbelievably ridiculously slow, and that's in reference to a process that is already painfully slow (building muscle on a surplus).

IMO... If you want to do both, focus on 1 goal at time. Either shed fat or build muscle. Your workout routines should be pretty similar either way, it really just comes down to diet - calorie surplus or calorie deficit.

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    To add muscle you need to eat at a surplus and lift heavy weights (heavy enough where after about 8 reps you can't lift the weight again). More muscle will burn more fat.

While building muscle you will gain a bit of weight. Don't let that stop you. Eat at a surplus, lift heavy and consume adequate protein for a few weeks... Thank drop cals down and do some cardio to lose the bit of fat... Do those cycles for a few weeks at a time until you are happy with the results.
  • reh1089
    Options
    I'm not even sure whether it's better to lose the fat and just tone the muscles or to gain muscle...?
  • Kmackenzie22
    Kmackenzie22 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing! If I want to ultimately lose another 10lbs or so yet gain muscle in the long run... should you try to lose those 10lbs before lifting? Since in order to gain muscle you have to increase calories.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    If it helps, it's a little easier to lose fat when you have more muscle mass.
    And you can gain strength in a calorie deficit through neuromuscular adaptations as well.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I'm not even sure whether it's better to lose the fat and just tone the muscles or to gain muscle...?

You don't really tone muscles... you either lose, retain or gain.

More muscle will mean more fat loss. Muscle increases your metabolism... unfortunately it does increase the scale weight as well but muscle takes up much less space than fat does so you will be smaller even if you weigh more.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    So I'm not really interesting in losing pounds anymore. I'm mostly interested in losing fat and gaining some muscle, regardless of what the scale says.

I'm not sure how to go about this. Should I still be eating at a calorie deficit, so that I lose the fat? Or will that prevent me from really toning/building muscle? Should I eat at a maintenance level with a lot of protein etc so that the fat will go away but muscle will still build?

What should my protein/carb/fat breakdown be?

Thoughts?? Thanks guys!

Okay, so your question is kind of a paradox for a lack of better words. Gaining muscle implies gaining muscle mass or adding inches which is basically bulking. Are you really looking to show more muscle definition without getting big?
  • luv_2_lift
    luv_2_lift Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Only you can answer that... it's all personal preference.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

You don't really tone muscles... you either lose, retain or gain.

More muscle will mean more fat loss. Muscle increases your metabolism... unfortunately it does increase the scale weight as well but muscle takes up much less space than fat does so you will be smaller even if you weigh more.

While muscle does burn more cals, it wrong turn your metabolism into some calorie burning furnace.

IMO, this is not the reason someone should decide to cut or bulk.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Generally, people primarily concerned with looks will cut during late winter/spring to be lean for the summer, then bulk in the fall and winter.

But ultimately its all personal preference.
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I can only second to get the New Rules of Lifting for Women book. It is heavy lifting and also helps you with sorting out your calories and will take you the fear of "bulking"...