Question for the ladies regarding TOM

Options
So I stayed in bed all day yesterday with my heating pad, watching TV and slept a good majority of the day. I'm better than I was yesterday but still pretty crampy.....let's just say if this was gym class I would be asking for a pass...lol. I went to the gym for a step class on Saturday morning and only made it 15 minutes before I became irritated with the steps and crampy (isn't this a fun time?...lol) so yes I did break a sweat but it was such a lame attempt at a workout that I didn't even log it. I went home frustrated and moody and have not worked out since. So my question is.....do you guys go to the gym and work out and just push through it or do you give yourself a couple of days break. I really want to go to this different step class tonight that I think won't leave me so frustrated, but I don't know how my tummy will feel about it. What do you guys think?

Replies

• mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I push through it. I take Extra Strength Midol for the moodiness and cramping. Tylenol or Advil will help if you don't have Midol. I want this so badly that nothing is going to stop me from making the finish line this time.
  • aweightogo
    aweightogo Posts: 24
    Options
    I never really believed that exercising can help, until I tried it. I have been pushing through and exercising the past 3 months. I just walk those nights for 30-45 mins, but it really does seem to help. I don't notice the cramping after the first few minutes and my mood seems to improve. I really didn't want it to be true, because I would much rather take a free pass, but since it has helped, I keep doing it.
  • chandnikhondji
    chandnikhondji Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    First i think that 15 minutes isn't lame and would log it since your mody had exercise even if not much. i can't to much like more than 5 or 10 minutes depending on what and log it everytime, even if only 2 minutes *G* So go ahead.

And i give myself a break when i am cramping, no reason to torture your body when it is already tortured by cramps. And i tried it.. for me it does NOT work that my body ignores the cramps after a time. My 2 cents to that :)
  • sweetrevenge
    sweetrevenge Posts: 188
    Options
    Thanks for your input ladies....I think I am going to go ahead and push through. I will stop and get some Midol on my way home from work tonight and get my butt into the gym and step it out!!!
  • bballgrrl34
    bballgrrl34 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I always think that working out during TOM helps. It is suppose to help. Drinking water and exercising is suppose to be really good for minimizing the cramps. It takes time though. The cramps and pain go away after putting in some time. You don't even think about it once you get into the good workout mode. Well, good luck. I def know the pain. I slept through my cramps on Saturday.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Speaking from personal experience today, I end up with some doozer cramps. So today, since it was just the beginning, I pushed myself to go (talking myself out of it and into it for three hours previously), since I'm not sure if I'll be "incapacitated" tomorrow. And guess what? I do feel better mentally if nothing else. Especially with something like a step class (which I did this morning), you can decide how many risers you feel like today, which means you can change your intensity. Any movement is good movement if you can handle it.

I hope you feel better very soon.
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Just been there. I find that if I can just get myself moving, I feel better. My goal is to do something every day. So, on those days, I just plan/default to an easier workout. A walking workout or something, rather than the normal "push-it" routine. Sometimes I try to exercise longer that normal since I'm not exerting myself as much, and other times, I just do a less intense, and less long workout and congratulate myself for doing something when I really felt like crawling back into bed. That way, I still get exercise, I don't feel like I gave up, but I'm also listening to my body and trying to respect it when it may be telling me it just needs to do something lighter. It works for me to keep me in the game--and once it's over, then I can workout extra hard again!
  • sweetrevenge
    sweetrevenge Posts: 188
    Options
    Speaking from personal experience today, I end up with some doozer cramps. So today, since it was just the beginning, I pushed myself to go (talking myself out of it and into it for three hours previously), since I'm not sure if I'll be "incapacitated" tomorrow. And guess what? I do feel better mentally if nothing else. Especially with something like a step class (which I did this morning), you can decide how many risers you feel like today, which means you can change your intensity. Any movement is good movement if you can handle it.

I hope you feel better very soon.

Thanks, I think I'm going to go. One riser though whether TOM or not....lol
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the type of exercise. Jumping around is no good so working out to videos are a no-no for me. I still have to walk my dogs but I hate every minute of it. I tend to get angry with them when they pull a little which is what I've trained them to do so they don't understand when a whole walk goes by and I don't let them run. I have found that biking is gentle enough on my system that I can handle that...I can handle a couple hours without too much discomfort. But I wouldn't be pushing myself, for sure.
  • AlexandraNK
    AlexandraNK Posts: 54
    Options
    i've found walking helps the cramps a lot, but the fact is i haven't gotten really bad ones in a long time.
    I do suggest giving yourself a little kindness and trying to go but if you can't do to much don't. Just do as much as you can and try to push just a little. Drinking water, having an advil (or any pain med) is always helpful even if your laying in bed. Also there are these little non-electric heating bads that you can get soemtimes at the pharmacy, when i used to go to the gym during my TOM ( i don't do the gym at all now) i would try to wear one and it made a differance. Good luck and just keep trying. Thats all any of us can do.:smile:
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    For me it depends on the type of exercise and environment. I really don't feel like being around people during TOM (except for my family 'cause they have no choice). I do feel much better after I get moving though, so I just take a brisk walk, climbing stairs, walking uphill. Nothing that I need to jump around or needs a lot of coordination.
  • SayRah
    SayRah Posts: 104
    Options
    TOM was never THAT bad to me (they would only last like three or four days and in that time frame I'd get a cramp that'd last an hour or two, no more) but when I got on birth control (started on Aviane and moved onto Loestrin 24) that helped a lot. No cramps at ALL and TOM's only here a day or two. But yes, exercise helps a LOT! Push through it! The muscles that cramp and bunch up will loosen and exercise also elevates your mood. But no harm in taking a Tylenol to help, if your cramps are that bad.
  • bekah1301
    bekah1301 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Definitely keep going, your body works harder when you're groggy/tired/really not feeling up to it so technically exercise can be more effective!
    I also find doing crunches really helps with cramps.
    My main problem with taking a couple of days off for *anything* is trying to get back into it afterwards.
  • panther87
    panther87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    What helps me with cramps- especially if you know what day your TOM will be, is to Take 600mg of Motrin/Ibuprofen every 8 hours starting about 2-3 days before hand. If you can do that it has really helped my cramps be much more controlled. and then I can work out as I want to during that week. Best wishes to you.
  • PinkKitty724
    PinkKitty724 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    So I stayed in bed all day yesterday with my heating pad, watching TV and slept a good majority of the day. I'm better than I was yesterday but still pretty crampy.....let's just say if this was gym class I would be asking for a pass...lol. I went to the gym for a step class on Saturday morning and only made it 15 minutes before I became irritated with the steps and crampy (isn't this a fun time?...lol) so yes I did break a sweat but it was such a lame attempt at a workout that I didn't even log it. I went home frustrated and moody and have not worked out since. So my question is.....do you guys go to the gym and work out and just push through it or do you give yourself a couple of days break. I really want to go to this different step class tonight that I think won't leave me so frustrated, but I don't know how my tummy will feel about it. What do you guys think?

I certainly say to suck it up, but I have a hard time doing so myself. The first few days of mine is pure H-E-Double. Then it's breezy. But, I am having difficulty working out AT ALL, my class is over after Weds so I will begin actually working out.
    I say, take ibuprophen or midol and push through it.

Another issue I have with TOM is lately, I gain like 3 lbs while I have it and bloat like it's my job. So, I feel ike I've made no progress then it's over and I like, lose weight, 3-5 lbs and I can SEE that I am thinner. I can't say I've noticed this so much before. Is this normal when you are thinner than normal? I've only lost a max of 8lbs so it's not like I am immensely smaller!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    As for me TOM has left the building
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I always push myself even tho I don't want to, and I always feel 110% better!
  • TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    Options
    Eh, it really depends for me. If it's normal cramps, the kind that just annoy you.. I say push through it. If your cramps are debilitating, and making you cry (as do mine from time to time) I see no harm in resting, or just a mild workout. I found that if I try to push through that kind of pain, I really burn myself out to whatever workout I'm doing.
  • lelesmama
    lelesmama Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I try to push myself but if I am really not going to make it, I just modify. I'll walk on the treadmill or do a light workout on an elliptical for at least a 1/2 hour or more. Exercising helps with my cramps so I like to try to get at least something in even if it's way lighter than my normal workout.
  • feeny
    feeny Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I usually give myself a couple days (but no more than 2!) because those first days I have really terrible cramps. After that they're just regular annoying cramps so I pop a couple midol and go work out anyways.