Eating too many calories when cooking for boyfriend

Options
takaiisan
takaiisan Posts: 16 Member
Every time i have my other half over (4 days/week) i find i smash through my calories, making food that will satisfy him. :noway:

He works hard and is very hungry and needs big man sized meals to fill him up, and of course, his favourites are pizza (always with garlic bread) anything fried, meat, meat, more meat and sugar, he's not a fan of veg (mushrooms and tomato especially are hated)

anyone got any clever recipe modifications or things they feed to fussy teenagers/husbands while still keeping their own calories low??:heart:

Replies

• LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend making turkey chili.
    3 cloves of garlic (minced)
    1/2 an onion (chopped)
    2lb of ground turkey (brown this first w/ garlic & onion before adding anything else)
    1 can of crushed tomatoes
    1 can of kidney beans
    1 can of black beans
    1 red bell pepper & 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
    some frozen corn if you have it
    3 chopped up jalapenos
    and a whole lot of taco seasoning.

Fairly low cal, high protein, high fiber, and if you make a big pot he can have as much as he wants and you can have an appropriate portion for your calorie goals. He can even have his over rice or with tortilla chips if he needs some carbs to go with it.
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I use leaner meats (chicken and venison) to cook the same recipes we always have. Instead of frying, you can coat in panko bread crumbs and bake. Just because you are serving him lots of meat, doesn't mean you can't limit your meat to 4-6 oz and load up on your own serving of veggies (more for you, right!?). Try making smaller of the higher calorie/carb side dishes and add in healthier options. For example, I have cut my mashed potatoe portions that I cooked and double the amount of veggies I cook. I also try to serve a salad a few times. I also try to drink ice water while I'm cooking to keep the urge to nit-pick while I"m preparing food. You can still control your portions (so have pizza with him...but one slice with a salad).

You are in charge of your own intake... you can still cook to please your man without compromising your own goals! Try some of the recipes here (have you seen the cauliflower crust pizza?)
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I'm such a mean person. I tell fussy boyfriend to make his own.
    He works hard is out of the house 12 hours a day, but I'm not making two meals everyday.
  • takaiisan
    Options
    I use leaner meats (chicken and venison) to cook the same recipes we always have. Instead of frying, you can coat in panko bread crumbs and bake. Just because you are serving him lots of meat, doesn't mean you can't limit your meat to 4-6 oz and load up on your own serving of veggies (more for you, right!?). Try making smaller of the higher calorie/carb side dishes and add in healthier options. For example, I have cut my mashed potatoe portions that I cooked and double the amount of veggies I cook. I also try to serve a salad a few times. I also try to drink ice water while I'm cooking to keep the urge to nit-pick while I"m preparing food. You can still control your portions (so have pizza with him...but one slice with a salad).

You are in charge of your own intake... you can still cook to please your man without compromising your own goals! Try some of the recipes here (have you seen the cauliflower crust pizza?)

The ice water is such a good idea.. i am always wanting to pick and test and try things for flavour in the kitchen.. by the time i sit down and eat I've probably eaten half of it via mindless picking!! Not seen cauliflower pizza, through i did just see cauliflower rice, which seems interesting!

I do add salad to my food, but i am still so conscious that even a little bit of his favourite foods is so high calorie with very little nutritional value, i end up being hungry soon after, which doesnt happen when i make my own choices for dinner
  • Pfeiffer24
    Pfeiffer24 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bbq bbq bbq!,,,, get a roast, cut in long thin strips.. marinade insome bulgogi sauce. Or leave plain, stickon skewers n when almost done add bbq.. u can even pre freeze them... n make some chicken ones for u with red peppers, onion. N add somesweet minicorn cob... brown rice.. bam super good n healthy!!
  • takaiisan
    Options
    He works hard is out of the house 12 hours a day, but I'm not making two meals everyday.

I could never be that mean.. i get home from work 5 hours before he does.. plus, he is a natural disaster when it comes to cooking, he would just spend his money (that stuff that is meant to be buying me presents) on greasy takeaways if i didn't make him anything
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Try cauliflower puree in place of mashed potatoes. Add chicken, broccoli, shredded cheese, salt/pepper/whatever to taste. Bake it until the cheese is melted. Serious comfort food, and huge portions for few calories. My recipe is around 400/serving, but it's also 1/4 of a small casserole dish.
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I make taco soup and my bf LOVES it. You can make it on the stove or in a crockpot, with chicken, beef, or turkey. Just use meat, cook first if you use the stove, throw it in frozen if you use the crockpot. Then add in corn, black beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, any veggies you want. And then season. Cook on the stove for 20 mins, cook in the crockpot 4 hours on high, 8 hours on low. Its cheap, its easy, it makes a ton of food, and its delicious. You could google "taco soup" and find a better recipe/explanation
  • jgrode1984
    Options
    Check out cookinglight.com and skinnyms.com

The recipes are very tasty, healthy, and sure to satisfy beastly manly appetites...

Favorite thing to make is chili, but instead of using beef chicken or turkey.... Use bison roast cut into cubes. Very lean cut of meat and added flavor!

Edit: I'm making these tonight: http://skinnyms.com/skinny-lasagna-rolls/

My three and five year old love them. Each roll is 298 cals, they are also very filling!
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend loves everything I have made from this site: http://www.skinnytaste.com/

Pretty hearty meals. you may have to double the recipe.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

I could never be that mean.. i get home from work 5 hours before he does.. plus, he is a natural disaster when it comes to cooking, he would just spend his money (that stuff that is meant to be buying me presents) on greasy takeaways if i didn't make him anything

I'm also a vegetarian and he's not. Plus he's a better cook than me, and I'm a good cook. He makes his one reductions, and roasts, and glazes, denatures pans and doesn't need my help in the kitchen. Even if I wasn't on a health kick we make our meals. Grown men should know how to cook for themselves.