Thyroid Issues

420suzanne
420suzanne Posts: 6 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi There-
I am new to this site and I have a question that you all might be able to help me answer. I have hypothyroidism and I have my blood checked regularly, so I maintain my levels with medication (synthroid). However, I have found that it is close to impossible for me to lose weight. I have been successful at maintaining a healthy weight because I run a lot and I am currently doing p90x. I think that I need to look at my diet (I eat too much sugar) but I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience? Any suggestions??
Thanks so much!

Replies

• xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    maybe you should talk to your Dr, as soon as I started this med I started losing right away.
  • auttyfrmca
    auttyfrmca Posts: 125 Member
    Funny...you sound like me. I went back to the dr. and they put me on something extra...cytomel (spelling??) and it has definitely helped. I have lost a little but not much. I went back to the dr but I was late because my sub was a no show ('im a teacher) and I had to see someone else. She had no sympathy. She looked at me and basically said I look good and muscular and I'm in normal BMI but just a little high. I wanted to kick her. She told me to eat less than 1000 calories a day. I didn't tell my reg dr. He's not going to be happy because he is very healthy....anyways let me know if you find anything out!
  • mjheinrich
    mjheinrich Posts: 87 Member
    I don't have an answer for you but I had to read your post several times as it seems as if I wrote this myself! Same scenario and I am a runner too who eats way too much sugar! I have found that using this site and really tracking my food is about the only thing that works for me so I"d suggest regular posting and tracking of your nutritional values. I believe it will help and you may be surprised that you start gradually losing the lbs. As soon as I stop the tracking, I gain quickly so I must be diligent but it works.
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    I have a very similar story. However I started out HYPER and became HYPO after treatment. Anyways I'm on Synthroid as well, .88mcg works well for me. I have been stable for a few years now (had a slight decrease in meds about 2 years ago as I was creeping back up toward Hyper).

How long have you been on your meds? Is your bloodwork stable/normal yet? It can take years for you to get stabilized, how irritating!

I've learned from doing a ton of reading about thyroid issues that it will always be more difficult for us to lose weight. However, for me I find that a diet higher in protein works well for me. The Zone worked very well for me, I dropped 30 lbs when I became hypo, but I find now that I'm married it's harder for me to cook the Zone way for my husband. Picky picky. I also have an addiction to sugar and when I do cut it out, I drop weight super fast, but I can't stay away from it. Maybe people with thyroid issues lean toward sugar... interesting...

I've also learned these things:

- stay away from too much soy (boo, I love soy beans)
    - stay away from raw cruciferous vegetables (cauliflower, brocolli)
    - try www.about.thyroid.com, they have a ton of information about Thyroid and Diet

PS: I'm also doing p90X and LOVE IT!!
  • 420suzanne
    Excellent suggestions! Thank you soo much for responding. I have my thyroid levels checked once a month and they seem to be somewhat regulated, but they go up and down every so often. I am trying to go once a month because I recently had a miscarriage and we have had trouble getting pregnant. My doctor is trying to see if there is a connection with that and my hypothyroidism.
    As far as the weight thing goes, I think that I just need to really focus on my diet. I have been doing the p90x diet which is typically higher in protein, I have had some success with that. I think it's interesting that people with thyroid issues tend to have sugar cravings. I will definitely check out the website you listed.
    One more question...why are cauliflower and brocolli bad for us?
  • 420suzanne
    You are so right! I have to be super diligent about tracking my food as well. I just found this website and I am going to use it to help me. Best of luck to you!
  • barkmelv
    barkmelv Posts: 12
    Hi there!

I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis (Hypothyrodism caused by autoimmune disease) since I was about 12-13. I inherited it from my mother :) ... anyway I was well regulated on 100mcg of Synthroid for over 10 years but in my mid 20s I started gaining weight for no apparent reason.

After many years of trying different drugs (Armour thyroid) and doses I finally went to see an Endocrinologist (I highly recommend you find one that specializes in thyroid NOT diabetes disorders). The second one I saw did a complete workup and found that my thyroid was regulated but that my adrenal gland is having some issues. So, it's not always your thyroid.

He also insisted that I need to be on a low-carb diet; permanently!!! This is not a temporary fix but a lifestyle change. He recommended South Beach or Sugar Busters. I decided on Sugar Busters because it does not require that ultra low-carb 1st phase :sick:

This does not mean that I will never eat sugar again ... It just means that I have to be more careful than "regular" people. I try to front load my carbs into breakfast and lunch. Stay away from anything white (white flour, sugar, potatoes, rice) and eat my carbs in vegetables, fruit and some whole grains. It is very doable :bigsmile:

Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • 420suzanne
    Thank you soo much! I guess I will have to adapt to a low-carb diet as well. It seems like that is the only thing that works for me. Thanks again for the pointers!:wink:
This discussion has been closed.