strange fruit - Not the happiest or sweetest topic

Options
Having watched Django Unchained and been a real fan of Roots years back - i listened to Billie Hollidays "strange Fruit" again tonight with the lyrics on screen - very humbling and hard hitting - How can people still be subjected to this violence now - i just hang my head in shame - and they do! The human race is such a very cruel race :frown: i know its a very depressing and upsetting topic - but i really feel that the school curriculum should cover this thoroughly along with other atrocities.

Replies

• 1969ned
    1969ned Posts: 219
    Options
    no comments? im surprised!
  • 1969ned
    Options
    bump again - any comments?
  • mbreed75
    mbreed75 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Just bumping for you. I don't know what "Strange Fruit" is
  • 1969ned
    Options
    aww thank you - i think i need a more catchy strapline - like crabs or strange pus!
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Strange Fruit refers to lynched Black people hanging from trees. Not sure how I can put that more nicely.

This may not be an appropriate topic for the Chit Chat Area.
  • 1969ned
    Options
    you didn't read the original post did you?
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    It's a horribly sad song, the lyrics put a knot in my stomach.

Across the world and over the generations--it's a very sad reality! :(:(
  • hearthemelody
    Options

What in the world are you talking about?
  • 1969ned
    Options
    Thank you for replying - it definitely is xxx
  • hearthemelody
    Options
    Thank you for replying - it definitely is xxx

Therefore it is probably not appropriate for the Chit Chat, Fun, and Games area.
  • 1969ned
    Options

What in the world are you talking about?
    your reply - this forum covers all topics - not just fitness and frills
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the song, but I'm going to see the movie tonight.
  • Mandybean88
    Options
    When I was studying my English A Level we looked at a poem by Seamus Heaney which mentions 'Strange Fruit' and my teacher played the song to us. It really powerfully affected me and I have always thought of it since as one of the most affecting and haunting songs I've ever heard. It is incredible. Even though it's very disturbing I think it's one of those songs that everyone should listen to at least once, and really think about what it means.
  • 1969ned
    Options
    yes - you summed it up in a sentence there x
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    OMG. I just read the lyrics. What a awful song. Well, it's not that the song itself is awful, but the lyrics...wow. Depressing. Honestly, I think that most people are cruel at heart. It's always good to see people like Mother Teresa or others doing stuff with organizations like Habitat for Humanity and other various charities doing good things for the world around them. It gives hope, but most people who are concerned about themselves are cruel, uncaring and egotistical. The world is full of these kinds of people, and the only thing you can do is NOT be one of them, and to raise your children with discipline and respect. And always remember to Stand for what is right, even if you stand alone.
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I posted a status about that song a few weeks ago. It's beautiful and absolutely gut wrenching at the same time.

I'm not really sure about talking about racial violence on the boards though.

But just my 2 cents, there will always be violence and power dynamics. We live in a capitalist society and someone is always on the bottom. And we make ourselves feel better about the fact that they're on the bottom by creating racial and classist stereotypes, which allows people to think it's ok to treat some people as less than human.

Native Americans- we want yo' land so now you're violent alcoholics. African Americans- we want to enslave you so now you lack intelligence and mental capabilities. Don't think it still exists today? We are above racism now? Hellooooooo police brutality! It's the way of the world. It's sad, but it's the way of the world.

God, I can't believe I'm actually going to post this.
  • 1969ned
    Options
    thank you so much for replying - it is not a nice subject at all but i still believe that its something that should be kept in view and for children especially to be educated about. Depressing :indifferent: Im sorry - but if it makes one person think - its worth it.