Hmm.. to detox, or not to detox, that is the question...

Options

Replies

• glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Last year I was feeling impulsive and decided on a whim to try the Lemonade detox thing. Master Cleanse I think it's called. I followed all the rules for two days, and I these intense migraines I couldn't take (I have migraines normally and they make me wish I was dead) so, I gave up and went out for chinese food. I'd like to try it again just to prove I can do it, but the suffering was intense. haha
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to pile on, except to say that I agree with those saying not to waste your money, its not a reboot, your organs don't need a break from doing their daily function etc. Would you go on a breathing tube to give your lungs a break? All of these cleanses and detoxes are just scams.

And if you're still curious and don't mind the language, here is a great read on what being on a juice cleanse is really like

http://jezebel.com/5975942/****-this-****ing-lawn-water-five-days-on-a-juice-cleanse

edited to say the actual words in the link won't post...but I bet you can guess.
  • TamaBrett
    TamaBrett Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The only thing I'll add is that many of these detoxes are not just a waste but are in fact detrimental to your health. Going more than a few days with out normal levels of protein input will cause muscle loss and tissue damage.
  • Jockey6
    Options
    I have done the 15day tablet based detox before and found them very restrictive. No dairy including eggs, no meat (tuna in brine and steamed fish alowed every second day.) Lots of lentals and beans and spelt pasta alowed. I did loose weight and managed to keep half of it off, but it wasnt my idea of enjoying life.

I like to do my version of a detox. If you cant kill it, or grow it, then dont eat it. basically cut out foods that come in cardboard boxes and packets and get back to cooking real fresh foods that tasts great and the whole family can eat. :wink:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I am doing the BeachBody Ultimate Reset RIGHT NOW!!! look it up!

So, basically you spent a lot of money to eat nasty food (tempeh? YUCK) that really just a low calorie weird almost vegan diet...

You could have just...

Eaten less weird vegan foods instead for the same results. Unless you actually *like* the taste of that alkaline drink they sell???
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Science says no.

If you ask enough people, you'll find people that say the Earth is flat http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

They will still be wrong, completely wasting their time, and leading others astray with their beliefs.
  • pure_of_heart
    pure_of_heart Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    From time to time, I eliminate for a period added sugar, alcohol, dairy, processed grains/meats and high fat meats. Not sure if it "cleanses" but it does make going back to the healthy moderate diet of 1200-1500 calories much easier as I find my taste buds change.
  • Tammi140
    Tammi140 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I recommend reading the book "Clean" by Alejandro Junger. It's got some really interesting ideas in it - he basically suggests doing a lot of juicing (not solely drinking juices) for 3 weeks in order to give your bodies natural detoxing organs and systems a little break and a jump start. The liver and kidneys DO detox our bodies for us already, but nowadays we eat so much food that the body is busy breaking down all that food all the time when it could be using that energy to help heal and maintain our body. As with any book or article, take it with a grain of salt. No one is right about everything, but he makes some good points. Good luck :)

*I should say that I have followed a lot of his suggestions for several months and notice a HUGE difference in how I feel and how much energy I have, but I don't follow it to a T or anything.

Your liver and kidneys do not need a "break." Even if you're not eating, all your cellular functions are continuallly creating waste and by products that yorur organs process around the clock. The idea that they need to "rest" is preposterous. Does your heart need to rest from all that pumping?

My heart wouldnt need rest from "all that pumping", but what I put in my body decides how hard my heart has to pump. Being that eating unhealthy definately puts you at risk for heart disease, wouldn't excess metals, toxins and free radicals give your cleansing organs more of a workout than need be?

I am asking the people that HAVE detoxed, if it is something that they would reccommend. Nowhere in my post did I say I wanted to lose a ton of weight fast and spend a bunch of money. Geesh, tough crowd.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    My stock answer to MFP questions on detoxes:

1. There is no (zero, zip, nada) credible scientific evidence that cleanses or detoxes do anything. No toxins magically get released from your body because you drank a juice, didn't chew any food for 3 days, took a pill, etc.

2. Your liver and kidneys detox your body, day in and day out. That is what they are designed to do.

Use common sense, eat real food, and your body will thank you.

^^^^^Agreed!!!!!!
  • MomiTia
    MomiTia Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I do it once a quarter, it does not need any extra money, its called the gm diet n i do regain half of the lost weight but i like the benefits, my skin does look more radiant, it forces me to eat better coz om commited n i can eat as much as i like, just not what i like, takes a week, u could look at gmdietworks.com.
  • 5auce
    5auce Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I did master cleanse a couple of years ago, followed it to a T-laxative tea, salt water flushes included. I lasted 10 days. At first I was full of energy and thought it was awesome, I lost a lot of weight. By day 8 or 9 I started to get this gross thick white coating all over my tongue and my breath was horrible no matter how much I brushed my teeth. I felt like I had taken 4 hits of acid. I don't know if my skin looked awesome and no one told me anything but that's probably because I couldn't leave the house. That was it, I was over it. I came out of it just like you were supposed to, slowly starting with broth then adding certain foods. I didn't have a poo for almost 2 weeks after and gained all the weight back and then some. I spent a lot of money to not eat anything and mess up my body. Soooooo not worth it.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    My stock answer to MFP questions on detoxes:

1. There is no (zero, zip, nada) credible scientific evidence that cleanses or detoxes do anything. No toxins magically get released from your body because you drank a juice, didn't chew any food for 3 days, took a pill, etc.

2. Your liver and kidneys detox your body, day in and day out. That is what they are designed to do.

Use common sense, eat real food, and your body will thank you.

Bravo!! This is the most sensible answer I've seen yet on MFP.:flowerforyou:
  • Corkline
    Corkline Posts: 107
    Options
    I like to do my version of a detox. If you cant kill it, or grow it, then dont eat it. basically cut out foods that come in cardboard boxes and packets and get back to cooking real fresh foods that tasts great and the whole family can eat. :wink:

I support this kind of detox! And I've done it a few times, when I've gone a little overboard with sugar and caffeine and stuff. But pills, cleanses and stuff like that worry me...
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Are you just looking for someone to say yes they work? Because it seems that everyone who has said they don't work is getting the hush hush..

I have used a detox

I lost weight

Gained it back immediately and had no positive effects that lasted a day longer that the detox itself.

My answer "NO"
  • jgrode1984
    Options
    I did a raw food cleanse (uncooked fruits and veggies) for about five days before calorie counting. I flushed a lot of junk out of my digestive system, felt refreshed in the mornings, more energy through the day, and a good starting point for a new way of eating healthy. I wouldn't use pills or elixirs, just good old fashioned straight from the earth food. Plus there is lots of recipes and ideas if you google them so you don't get bored....
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Detox means no meat, dairy, fat, sugar, junk food, toxic beverages.
    The old Weight Watchers had everyone starting on cabbage soup.
    That got the toxins out, flushed what needed to be flushed, and gave everyone a high initial weight loss that encouraged them to keep going.
    Not a bad idea.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, to cut out my liver and kidneys or not...That is the equated medical version of your topic. There is No reason if you have working organs.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...The old Weight Watchers had everyone starting on cabbage soup.
    That got the toxins out, flushed what needed to be flushed, and gave everyone a high initial weight loss that encouraged them to keep going...
    Which toxins does cabbage soup eliminate from your body? And what is the process by which it eliminates them?
  • TamaBrett
    TamaBrett Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    To all the people that have used the word "toxins", what are "toxins"?
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Detox means no meat, dairy, fat, sugar, junk food, toxic beverages.
    The old Weight Watchers had everyone starting on cabbage soup.
    That got the toxins out, flushed what needed to be flushed, and gave everyone a high initial weight loss that encouraged them to keep going.
    Not a bad idea.
    It IS a bad idea. Start reading here:
    http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/detox_overview.html

The Mayo clinic has a word about it too:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/detox-diets/AN01334