Am I doing something wrong?

Options
Hello. I have been following MFP for 2 weeks now. I am in my mid-30's and have 40 lbs to lose to get to the "normal" weight for a person with my height, age, etc. And BTW, that puts me at the HIGH end of normal weight for me. When I put in my info at MFP they gave me a daily calorie intake of 1200. I thought this seemed kinda low but then again nothing else helped before to lose weight so I thought I would give it a try. I go to the gym and work out at least 5 times per week taking spinning classes, yoga, etc. I do eat back my exercise calories. I just have a couple of questions.....

I noticed some people say that 1200 calories is too low. Did I put in some wrong info? That is what MFP gave me when I entered my height, age, weight, etc.And trust me, I don't go under that . I find it challenging to eat at that but luckily I usually earn exercise calories and that helps. Also, I noticed every day it seems to tell me I went over on my protein yet when I look at my daily log I didn't really eat that much protein. For example, a yogurt with breakfast, some grilled chicken with lunch and a meat, chicken or fish for dinner. I don't know why this is too much protein? I have lost only 3 lbs in 2 weeks. I know you should expect 1-2 lbs for healthy weight loss but in the past I always found the first couple of weeks you usually lose more. I really feel like I am working hard and changed my eating and exercising so drastically that I thought I would have lost a couple more pounds by now. Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    3lbs is a good start. I would try increasing calories, 1200 may work for some but doesn't for others. It did nothing for me and I need to lose a lot to be considered a healthy weight. I moved it to 1400 to 1600. I averaged a weight loss of 1 pound a week. Sometimes a little more but no more than that.
  • GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    it sounds to me like you're doing everything right and getting the results you should be expecting. don't overanalyze it--if you're doing it the healthy way (it sounds like you are) and it's working (i know it's slower than you want it to be, but it IS working), stick with it! in another four to six weeks, at that rate, you'll be down a whole size. and if you continue losing at that rate, by the end of june you'll be at your goal!

(also, on the protein--myfitnesspal sets people's protein goal quite low by default, so it's unlikely that you're getting "too much"--if you set your food diary so that the general public can view it, i bet others on here would be glad to take a look and reassure you) :)

seriously, stick with it--when you get frustrated, remember not to make decisions based on how you're going to feel in five minutes, but on how you're going to feel in five months :)
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,187 Member
    Options
    I agree with Kelly! Eat more! I had read this and been told repeatedly and finally listened. Like you, I expected more to come off, but am thrilled to lose anything after stalling out/gaining over the holidays. Make sure you get your water in too! And hang in there!
  • cara91997
    cara91997 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the 3 lb loss! I think I just expected a little more initially since the changes I made were so drastic to where I was before--basically eating whatever I wanted and not doing much exercise! If anyone wants to friend me, I am looking for supports. Thanks again for all the positive encouragement!:happy:
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Are you actually just eating 1200 calories??? If you are using the MFP method then you should be eating 1200 cals PLUS nearly all the calories you burn doing your exercise.

MFP has already calculated the deficit amount for you to lose weight healthily, if did not know if and when you would exercise, so this has not been taken into account. You therefore need to eat back the calories burned. If you do not you will be creating a deficit that is too deep and it will affect your health and your metabolic rate in the long term.

Stalling in weight loss is nearly always due to not actually eating enough calories. If you are eating at a reasonable deficit you will lose the weight.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is not a long time to try something but if you want to change and see what happens, you can use this calculator, you can use it as is or you can do the TDEE method people talk about by putting your current weight as your goal weight and find your activity level and then deduct 20%. This calculator show you to eat more and do not eat back exercise calories because they are already figured. MFP over estimates calories burned simply because what is moderate to you is light to someone else. So if you are using MFP to calculate your calories and then eating back that amount perhaps you are eating too many back

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

Use these to find your activity level

http://exercise.about.com/cs/fitnesstools/l/blperceivedexer.htm
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise-intensity/SM00113
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/fitnesstools/l/blperceivedexer.htm
    http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/measuring/index.html
    http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=20971
  • 30WonFit
    Options
    Slow is better. It will be easier to keep the weight off. Some weeks you will lose more than other weeks. Some weeks you won't lose at all! Stay consistent. Definitely try eating 100 to 200 more calories and day... You are doing great!
  • camo362
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing everything right. No 1200 calories is not too low if that is what it calculated. I too always seem to go over my protein - but as long as you are way under in fat and sugar - that is fine. That is really where you want to train your body to get its energy from. I know the frustration. But having done this before and been successful - you might go days without a change and then see 3 pounds drop off. Every body is different and in your 30's your metabolism changes no matter what you do. Keep it up and you will not be sorry (at least that is what I keep telling myself!!)
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Yes, protein is set almost ridiculously low by default. You can go into the settings and change this manually.

Also, what is your height and weight and how fast do you have it set to lose? Particularly if you feel 1200 calories per week is too low (that is the default and absolute lowest it will set it to) and you have it set to 2 lbs per week, then try switching to 1.5 lbs or 1 lb per week. You have to pick something that will be sustainable to you. Slow and steady wins the race and all that jazz.

On very pragmatic sorts of advice, if you aren't weighing your food, you don't actually know just how much you are eating. People in general are notorious for estimating poorly. And if you are just using MFP's calories burned for exercises, those may very well be wrong. You may want to invest in a HRM to get a better gauge of this.

And lastly, eat your exercise calories back, don't look at the consumed tally, look at the NET tally.
  • dianebpotter
    Options
    Three pounds is a very good weight loss for only two weeks especially since you have not as much to lose as like myself (150, well almost 125 short by a pound ) . I am only losing on average now that also, I am sure that mine is going to go to about a pound a week. I am sure this is discouraging, but the slower you lose it the more chances you have of keeping it off long term. Good luck, and don't beat yourself up for doing a good job.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Mfp doesnt set calories, your goals do. So if you goals are aggressive like 2 lbs per week, its probably the reason you got 1200 calories. With only 40 lbs to lose, you should be aiming for 1 lb per week... maybe 1.5 lbs if you are lucky. Also, if you do not include exercise in your lifestyle, then you should aim to eat back at least 50% of your exercise calories. A slower per week weight loss goal will help reduce muscle catabolization and the more muscle you have the tighter and leaner your body will be. Even if i am 6% body fat i will still be classified as over weight but i dont care.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Mfp doesnt set calories, your goals do. So if you goals are aggressive like 2 lbs per week, its probably the reason you got 1200 calories. With only 40 lbs to lose, you should be aiming for 1 lb per week... maybe 1.5 lbs if you are lucky. Also, if you do not include exercise in your lifestyle, then you should aim to eat back at least 50% of your exercise calories. A slower per week weight loss goal will help reduce muscle catabolization and the more muscle you have the tighter and leaner your body will be. Even if i am 6% body fat i will still be classified as over weight but i dont care.

This :)

You likely set MFP so that you'd lose 2 lbs/week, which is a very aggressive goal (most people do not actually succeed in the long term going down this path...)

Try setting it to maybe 1 lb/week (1.5 at most), and that will likely give you more calories to eat than 1200. That little food is really hard! I hope you're paying attention to your body -- I started out eating that little, and I was a grumpy and tired mess. I'm much happier eating 1500-1700 calories (and that's when i don't exercise - I eat more when I do).

Lastly, 3 pounds in 2 weeks is great! Not everyone sees a huge drop in the first weeks, we just see examples of people who do and obviously want to believe it happens to everyone. Keep at it :)
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options

This :)

You likely set MFP so that you'd lose 2 lbs/week, which is a very aggressive goal (most people do not actually succeed in the long term going down this path...)

Try setting it to maybe 1 lb/week (1.5 at most), and that will likely give you more calories to eat than 1200. That little food is really hard! I hope you're paying attention to your body -- I started out eating that little, and I was a grumpy and tired mess. I'm much happier eating 1500-1700 calories (and that's when i don't exercise - I eat more when I do).

Lastly, 3 pounds in 2 weeks is great! Not everyone sees a huge drop in the first weeks, we just see examples of people who do and obviously want to believe it happens to everyone. Keep at it :)

To this I will add, take measurements. A friend of mine actually gained weight but lost inches the first month or so she was here. She stuck with it despite what the scale had to say And then whoosh, the weight started to come off too. Granted, shes a bit of an oddball ;) but just goes to prove a point, changes your habits doesn't result in the exact same results for everyone, and weight loss and fitness are NOT linear progressions.
  • cara91997
    cara91997 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of the great advice! I am especially thankful for the websites. Yes, I admit that I put 2 lbs per week as my goal. I always heard that good weight loss is 1-2 lbs per week so I figured if I shoot for 2 lbs per week and aim high then if I didn't quite hit that much I would be okay with it. And truthfully, I have pretty much stuck to the 1200 calories, except on exercise days, and haven't lost 2 lbs per week, I have lost 1.5. Yes, I do eat back my exercise points or at least most of them. I feel starving after my workouts so I do feel the need to eat those back. Maybe I will play with my settings a little bit and see. I am still working on finding the best food choices for my calorie level. Sometimes I do find it quite hard to stay in the 1200 range! The good news is at least 4- times per week I exercise and eat back those calories.