Weighing vs measuring food

Options

Replies

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Great post. I learned this lesson when I bought a food scale.

I still get a little teary-eyed when I weigh out 32g of peanut butter, and remember what I used to call 2 tablespoons.

Nothing like the realization you were eating 500 calories more everyday than you thought you were.
  • mlf70
    mlf70 Posts: 16
    Options
    I don't have a really good scale to weigh food, so I measure. However, I usually do not eat my exercise calories back to balance things out. Seems to be working so far, but probably will need a better scale the closer I get to my GW since it will become harder to shed those last few pounds.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    The weight of the onion is to be weighed before you chop it up not after. You are inflating calories this way.
    Just like you weigh meat before cooking not after.

Typically you don't weigh meat before. A serving of chicken is approximately 4 oz raw or 3 oz cooked. Most databases use cooked meat values (according to a few articles I've read). When you cook meat, you lose some of the fat.

On the weight of the onion, weighing it after you chop it is fine since there is no change in moisture content or anything else occuring during the chopping. If you are weighing it raw, weighing it chopped or whole shouldn't make a calorie difference, except if you discard part of the onion while chopping, then your weight would be off.

As for weighing meat, to be the most accurate, you should weigh it BEFORE cooking as the raw weight is much more accurate than the cooked weight. In the MFP database, if you put in chicken breast, raw or ribeye steak, raw, etc. it is easy to find these measurements that use raw instead of cooked. The reason for weighing anything (meat or veggies) raw is that when you cook something, the final weight is determined by how much moisture is lost or gained, which can vary greatly. You really aren't losing a ton of fat when you cook most items. The only time I really make an exception to the pre-cooked and after cooked weight is ground meat when I cook the meat and drain AND rinse the meat. Then, I look for an entry that describes that process. In that case, you are losing a good deal of fat through the cooking and draining and rinsing process. But, if you start with boneless skinless chicken, there's really very little fat to lose during cooking.

A great example of why raw weight is better than cooked weight is steak. You could start with an 8 oz ribeye and have it cooked medium-rare and weigh 6.5 oz cooked and then go ahead and cook it further to make it well done and the final weight could be 5 oz cooked. Track it raw and you are tracking nearly 450 calories; using one of the "cooked, grilled" entries, the medium rare 6.5 oz steak comes out to about 439 calories but the well done 5 oz cooked steak only comes up as 336 calories. That's a huge discrepency for that one piece of meat when the only thing that changed was how much moisture was lost. The same happens with pork chops and chicken and lots of foods. If you cook yours and it comes out "dry" and weighs an ounce less than mine does, but we both started with the same size chop, are you really getting less calories than me? Nope, you're just getting less moisture.

Just being off by a little bit here and there can quickly lead to frustration and "stalls".
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    100% true.

Even though 28g of hummus makes me so very sad.
  • s_west
    s_west Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow. Never really thought of it that way before. I always just measure by volume, but I wouldn't be surprised if I've been over-eating by mistake. Time to buy a food scale!
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!

The other one that bugs me is weighing raw meat versus cooked. Unless the specific entry states the measurement is from cooked, a 4oz raw steak has the same amount of calories when it is cooked down to 3oz. However, if you enter it into your diary as 3oz, you're under counting 1/4 of the calories.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Eye opening. Not sure how this got by me! I weigh most things but measure a few things. No more!
  • lilrhody
    lilrhody Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    This thread has convinced me to change my ways. Time to dust off that scale and actually use it.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I agree. A food scale is a must.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I always weigh my food, and find it very annoying when someone has entered into mfp data base, "small tomato, medium apple, large onion, slice of bread, cup of rice" etc

I try and correct where possible, in grammes
  • bkr45678
    bkr45678 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Weigh to go. Great post.

I lol'd

Anyway, I always, always, always weigh every thing. It's easier too cause then I am only dirtying the plate I put the food on, no measuring cups to wash. I even weigh out my milk into my coffee(122 grams per 1/2 cup) to avoid extra stuff to wash, hehe.
  • stellabobella79
    stellabobella79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I weigh my food but weighing my cereal was impossible. I poured in what looked like a ton of cereal and the scale barely moved. I measured it and it was 1 1/2 cups, so that's what I put down in my diary.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    To make it a little less daunting for people, I can suggest a bit of a compromise:

Weigh all calorie-dense foods, estimate with the lighter stuff.

What I mean by this is with spinach (7 calories/cup), celery, etc. an over- or underestimation isn't going to be reflected by a large calorie difference.

But with cheese, sauces/dressing, nuts, hemp hearts, yogurt, milk, cereal... it matters.

This is working for me. That said, if I stall out/plateau, you better believe I'm going to get more anal-retentive about weighing my food.
  • JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    bump... been having a debate with myself on this recently
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options

I still get a little teary-eyed when I weigh out 32g of peanut butter, and remember what I used to call 2 tablespoons.

HILARIOUS! I've been there!
  • Corkline
    Corkline Posts: 107
    Options
    I too weigh my food (and cry at how little peanut butter I get - I swear 32 grams is barely a tablespoon and nowhere near two!).

But how did you get the info for the rice? When I see rice in grams, it's referencing it dry - before being cooked.

I'm a little OCD. So I weighed out my dry rice, weighed my rice pot, and cooked the rice. After the rice was cooked, I weighed the resulting rice, and used the ratio to figure out the calories.

For example: (numbers made up for sake of easy math)

100g of dry rice = 400g of cooked rice.

100g of dry rice = 200 calories (yes, this is off, bear with me)

400g cooked rice = 200 calories

150g cooked rice in my lunch = 75 calories
  • Gapwedge01
    Options

Just ordered a scale just for that^^^^^ among other items.
  • sidegrinder
    sidegrinder Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This month I got serious about my diet and began logging on MFP. In addition, I bought an inexpensive digital food scale at Walmart. I believe it's made all the difference!
  • davidpearly
    davidpearly Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post.. I have a great food scale but have really only been weighing my meats and stuff, however things like 1/2 cup of nuts, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, or even 1 cup of cereal I have just been using measuring cups. I would like to be doing this right but to be honest I have no idea what 1/2 a cup is in grams. If anyone has a link to some charts for this info it would be great. Thanks
  • martina2611
    Options
    I have an awesome digital food scale that I use all the time. If a food is solid, I weigh it. If it's liquid, I measure it.

I don't carry it around with me though. I only use it at home.

Another food that is so important to weight vs measure is cereal.

Totally agree if it's solid i weigh it, if it's liquid i measure it.