Sciatica help!

Options
Is there anything I can do to ease the pain to make working out more tolerable?!

Replies

• carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I got sciatica when i was pregnant. I saw a chiropracter who told me the only thing for it was ice and rest. do NOT use heat- it will termporarily feel better but then flame up worse. I learned that one the hard way!

Also watch your posture, especially when sitting, dont sit to one side on on your foot. Thats what did it to me
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Google for sciatica stretches - there are some very specific moves that can help. Also make sure you're drinking enough water.

ETA: also look for moves that strengthen your pelvic floor, as those muscles help keep everything 'straight' in that area.
  • kzivic
    kzivic Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I deal with it too and my chiropractor gave me a series of stretches to do to help with the pain. If you have a Smartphone, there's an app I downloaded called PT Video and there's a section on there for Lower Back pain and it has a lot of the same stretches my chiropractor gave me. They've really helped me!

Good luck, I know how awful sciatica can be!
  • bellacharlie
    Options
    Rest and ice. I know its a pain but the nerve is irritated and you need to give it time for the inflammation to go down.
  • HeidibooJB
    HeidibooJB Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Back extensions (yoga sphinx position/seal position). Don't cross your legs when you sit. Sitting is bad, if you must sit, try an exercise ball; it puts you into better posture, and is great for core stability.
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    you can see a chiroprator or massage therapist. the most u can do on your own is look up streches for piriformis and glutes. also u can use a tennis ball (the small ones in the dog section work best) and put it in your glute area and lean up against a wall and roll the ball around when u hit a spot that feels good put a lil more pressure if u can hanfle it and hold it there for 30 sec to a min also u can take a bath with epsom salt and use tiger blam or biofreeze green oil or pepermint or wintergreen essincail oils to help.
  • Kristen81
    Kristen81 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll look into these stretches and ice up.
  • Ecce_Signum
    Ecce_Signum Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have a series of core exercises including several variations of the plank. I was told to stop running however running 'appears' to help my back and have had more pain free days since running than in the previous 10 years post op.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    What exactly is causing your sciatica to act up?
  • mochamofitandhealthy
    Options
    During flare ups, cold packs helped and refraining from strenuous activity (although engaging in light activity like walking continued and for me that helped). Also, I haven't had a sciatica flare up for the last 3 years. I believe that is because I've maintained some consistency in working out (particulalry with core exercises, etc.). Although, I haven't lost any weight, I believe the improvement in fitness has helped in keeping the lower back pain at bay.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Is there anything I can do to ease the pain to make working out more tolerable?!

Stretch, stretch, stretch.

I have piriformis syndrome, and the only thing that helps keep it in check is yoga on a (mostly) regular basis. As others have said, google the stretches and do them regularly.

Mine got so bad that I had to have a cortisone shot some years ago after only being able to sleep on the floor for a few weeks. I feel you!
  • Kristen81
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I'll try using a yoga ball too, although when I was pregnant sitting on the yoga ball irritated the sciatic nerve.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    My chiropractor fixed my sciatica pain. 100%!!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I would get my doctor to suggest a good physiotherapist.
  • Kristen81
    Options

It can be anything. I was feeling fine and then last night I bent over to pick something up and tweaked it.
  • Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options

sciatica is usually the piriformis muscle tight which is causing it to compress the scatic nerve, so probably sitting too long, crossing legs while sitting, or lateral rotation of her feet are the most common causes of developing and causing sciatica to act up.
  • drlittlespoon
    Options
    Acupuncture - it helps with the nerve inflammation.
    It was a total relief and I went to a physiotherapist who did it - it was great!!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough when I starting a new lifting program my sciatica went away. I have a bulging disc and certain exercises (yoga for instance) actually make it worse. I asked a trainer at my gym for some exercises to strengthen my back. I took those to my doc and she was totally supportive. I haven't had an attack of sciatica in a few months now. And it was bad. I could hardly walk.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I lost this post yesterday... got kid distracted.

2 years ago I herniated a disc, compressed my sciatic nerve to the point where I now have permanent nerve damage, and until recently had such bad back pain that catching a cold would cause me to panic because it hurt so much when I coughed or sneezed.
    I started doing core strength aerobics and Zumba. By the end of 2 weeks I went from having difficulty putting on my socks to being able to put my palms on the floor once properly warmed up.

When you move, put the focus on twisting your shoulder or your hips, but be cautious about twisting your spine. Bulging discs (the usual cause of sciatic pain) can pop like balloons from careless twisting. Try to build your core muscles to help support your spine. The less weight your discs need to support, the happier they are.

If you need it, talk to your Dr about prescription anti-inflamatories. I use Arthotec (which is Voltaren with more coating to protect your stomach).

These are 2 of the videos that I do that have helped so tremendously. I still do these

Standing core strength aerobics
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT09bryb0C4
    Beginner "bollywood" dance aerobics
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/videos-detail.asp?video=34

The hip twisting in the first 2 segments of this video were amazing in the beginning. I got these amazing crack sounds and all of a sudden my spine just opened up. I've moved on though, as there are great pauses between segments that drive me up the wall.
    Zumba
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDgbBdS9W54