My first Half Marathon!!

Options
So, on Saturday I ran and finished my very first half marathon. I was so excited!! A year ago I couldn't run a half mile without getting winded. My husband kept telling me, it would be okay if I had to stop and walk a few miles during the race, but I didn't have to walk and I finished without stopping!! It was a great moment. I'm still not as "skinny" as I want to be, but I realized on Saturday that I am strong and fit, and I can keep working hard to get to where I want to be. Knowing that I really can do this, that is my biggest accomplishment.

Replies

• queensara2478
    Options
    Congratulations!!! It's an awesome accomplishment, you should be very proud of yourself!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    That is great vegieheadie! Way to go :drinker:
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    WooHoo!! Way to go!
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic, I am so excited for you. I completely know the feeling.

I am actually starting my half marathon training next Monday. I am really excited and ready to do it. Like you, I NEVER thought that I could run and now look at what I am doing.

HA!!! We laugh in the face of people that say we can't do it, because you know what. YES WE CAN!!! :bigsmile:
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's so great! I'm attempting my first 1/2 marathon in October. Fingers crossed.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    yayyyyyyyyy-- that's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm running my first in September.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Yayyyyyy!!!!! Awesome job! I ran my first back in October, and am currently in training for one in June.

This second one has been amazing, now that my head realizes I can DO THIS, my body is free to just go go go....

Here's to you!!!
  • akasullengal
    akasullengal Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It's great to read stories like your's. Gives me hope that I'll eventually reach that milestone as well. What an accomplishment!
  • GRose
    GRose Posts: 69
    Options
    You did a fantastic job! Congratulations!! You should be so proud of yourself and keep thinking about how strong & fit you are. You're an inspiration - I hope that I'll be able to run one day.
  • oliveoil7979
    oliveoil7979 Posts: 112
    Options
    That is so amazing! I have my first half marathon planned for November so I can understand your excitment.

Good for you. Keep it up
  • Etta
    Etta Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Congrats on such a great job! I'll be looking to you as inspiration when I run my first half marathon in November.

[img][/img]
  • danielley08
    danielley08 Posts: 23
    Options
    That is so awesome...I despise running...I always feel like no matter what I will never be a good runner...you give me hope!! :)
  • kimandal99
    kimandal99 Posts: 52
    Options
    Congrats! That is amazing! I have been running for 9 months but not anywhere near 1/2 marathon ready. I just ran my first 5K and was thrilled i made it through that without stopping! Good for you on such a huge accomplishment.
  • veggieheadie
    Options
    That is so awesome...I despise running...I always feel like no matter what I will never be a good runner...you give me hope!! :)

LOL....me too. I hated running at first, then suddenly, I loved it. It's amazing how pooped you feel, but at the same time you feel so great. It's weird. At times during the race, I thought "holy crap this is hard!" but when I finished, I couldn't wait to run my next marathon. I have another 1/2 planned for July in Bryce Canyon. Can't wait. Thanks everyone for all the encouragment :tongue:
  • geekyjen
    geekyjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options

LOL....me too. I hated running at first, then suddenly, I loved it. It's amazing how pooped you feel, but at the same time you feel so great. It's weird. At times during the race, I thought "holy crap this is hard!" but when I finished, I couldn't wait to run my next marathon. I have another 1/2 planned for July in Bryce Canyon. Can't wait. Thanks everyone for all the encouragment :tongue:

totally! i have NEVER been able to run, but i did my first 5 miles last weekend and am signed up for a half at the end of july, and am loving it! i think it is definitely a budding addiction.
  • sdelaplane
    sdelaplane Posts: 1
    Options
    Congrats and appreciation and admiration for all of us that have done this. Isn't so amazing that those of us that got winded and thought they weren't runners - become one!! I have ALWAYS been athletic and did all sorts of activities and did long distance biking and walked over 10 miles a day but just never could (I thought) be a "runner". After my girlfriend got divorced and we started working out together she decided we should start running. We couldn't make it 1/4 mile at first!!! We ran our first 5K three weeks later and then kept it up and signed up to run the half marathon that year. We were so dedicated and trained hard and couldn't believe we were actually running 10 miles on the weekend. Just blows our mind at what we accomplished. And we did this right after turning 47 years old.

I never say I can't do anything now and this was one thing that propelled me into a high successful life. No stopping me now.

I know everyone of you can and will do this!!! It is so great to let go of boundaries and allow ourselves the ability to soar!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!