22-year-old girl hoping to lose 50 pounds!

Options
Hi everyone!

My name is Kellie and I officially began my weight loss journey this Monday. I had gradually been getting bigger and bigger, and due to dealing with other difficult issues in my life over the past year (college graduation, end of a long-term relationship, moving, starting a new job, yadda yadda yadda) I didn't have the motivation to do anything about it.

I had gotten to the point where I felt absolutely awful about my body and had stopped putting as much effort into my appearance because my self-esteem was plummeting. I felt huge, I felt lethargic and unhealthy. I knew something to be done, but I couldn't find the drive to fix it. Until last weekend - something clicked. I decided I just didn't want to feel that way anymore. Somehow, I was struck with the realization that I HAVE THE POWER to change this - and I got really excited about it.

So I woke up on Monday morning and started right then. I signed up for MFP (I had used it years and years ago), went on a healthy grocery shopping trip, re-signed up at the gym, and made the commitment right then and there to change my life. And I'll tell you what - I've never felt better! I feel better about my body NOW even though it hasn't really changed yet. I'm not losing weight so that I can be happy - I am happy already because I am able to make this change and lose the weight. I have already shed a couple of pounds this week :)

My stats:

Height: 5'4"
SW: 165 lb
CW: 159 lb
GW: 115 lb

As you can see, I want to lose 50 pounds, and I have 44 left to go! One particular obstacle I have run into already is that when I share my goal with others, they seem to be flabbergasted that I want to lose 50 pounds. I have become very good at dressing in ways that flatter my size (especially my belly, where I carry most of my weight) so I think people probably just don't realize how much I actually weigh - hence the shock when they hear I want to drop 50 pounds. Regardless, I can't help but be discouraged by this reaction. I know that I'm not being obscene... I'm short and I have a small frame, and I've weighed 115 in the past, but not when any of these people knew me! I don't want people to think I have an unhealthy goal. Can anyone else relate to this experience? How did you explain yourself?

Here is me about two months ago - I gained about five pounds after this point, but now I'm around the same size.
http://imgur.com/AiB9iq5

I would love to meet people who have either made the same journey as me, are at similar stages in life, or who just need a support buddy. Thanks for reading if you managed to make it through this monster, and I look forward to sharing my progress with you guys!

Replies

• ashiggins
    ashiggins Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hello! We are very similar in regards to weight loss goals and experiences---I sent you a friend request. Good luck!
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Just sent you a friend request!! :)
  • PDXContessa
    PDXContessa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You're the same height as me. So I'd say 115 is not unreasonable. I've always seen a general rule of allowing 100 pounds for your first 5 feet and then adding 5 pounds for each inch over 5 feet. That would put us both at 120 for a good weight. Of course, it's a GENERAL rule, so it's not meant to be a perfect fit for everyone. I find that I feel and look better closer to 125-128, but that's me. You might find that you feel better at 115.

You can always change your goal as you get closer. Instead of telling people you are going to lose 50 pounds, why not just say that you're going to lose weight until you feel fit and healthy again? How can they argue with that?
  • tjohn034
    tjohn034 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Glad that you are in the right mindset to be more healthy, but the key is to stay consistent with yourself and dont lose track of your goals! Feel free to add. Best of luck to you.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Good luck and stick with it. It can be done! Feel free to add me.
  • lolwutshannon
    Options
    I'll send you a request! I'm trying to lose 30 pounds. I've been on this journey since late November/early December.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    You're the same height as me. So I'd say 115 is not unreasonable. I've always seen a general rule of allowing 100 pounds for your first 5 feet and then adding 5 pounds for each inch over 5 feet. That would put us both at 120 for a good weight. Of course, it's a GENERAL rule, so it's not meant to be a perfect fit for everyone. I find that I feel and look better closer to 125-128, but that's me. You might find that you feel better at 115.

You can always change your goal as you get closer. Instead of telling people you are going to lose 50 pounds, why not just say that you're going to lose weight until you feel fit and healthy again? How can they argue with that?

HA! I heard that before and forgot about that but that's me! 5'7" and 135!
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the commitment to start! I was 162 when I started and now 121 working to get to 110. Feel free to read my page and add me! I have photos too. Good luck!
  • Niekab
    Options
    We're in a similar situation I have to lose a little over fifty pounds though. I don't believe your goal weight is unrealistic or unhealthy though. I came to that stage were you realize that the only one that can change your weight, or your outlook on life is yourself no one else could do it but you. In regards to explaing it to your friends I wouldn't worry about that, but if you are going to do that only explain it to the ones who are truly close to you and who will support you because I feel it's a waste to explain yourself to someone who will not encourage or just try to discourage even if it might be unintentionally. The proof is in the pudding ! I would love a support buddy I'm so easily discouraged. Im slowly learning to have realistic expectations about my weight loss but my eating habits does NOT reflect it at all, its horrific :( lol doesn't help that I'm bombarded with nothing but fast food restaurants. I so have to stop making excuses :/
  • I feel like that is almost exactly what I would have written about myself! We are totally in the same boat. I am also 22 wanting to lose 50-55 pounds. I weigh about 15-20 pounds more than you but I totally know how you feel! I joined MFP a while ago but am just starting to get serious about it and really try to reach my goal weight. I plan on going shopping this weekend to get healthy food so I can really start losing weight.

My friends all tell my that I'm crazy and don't really need to lose that much weight because I have learned to dress myself in a more flattering way, but in order to make myself feel better I know that I have a reasonable goal...and like you, I have been my goal weight before so fingers crossed that I can reach it again!

Good Luck!
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"5 and want to be 125 and get the same reponses you do, when I am done I will have also lost 50lbs. Its tough when everyone thinks you are expecting too much of yourself (thats what I hear anyways) but i know I can and will do it so they'll just have to get over it . :) 115 is not unrealistic BTW
  • wendypete97
    Options
    Hello! My goal weight is 125 at 5'2 and that would put me at 100# lost!! I too woke up one day and said I have to do something. My health was downward spiraling. I was sad, lethargic, sat on the sidelines, not to mention being obese. Todate I have released 87# and 106", I have ran 5k's, ready to get out and play and found happiness! I will friend you the more buddies that lock arms the more of us that will achieve our goals!
    Wendy